Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody buy a Mosin Nagant from Cabela's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody buy a Mosin Nagant from Cabela's?

I figured for $100 it would be a fun shooter. I ended up getting 2 of them since I have 2 daughters. Now I am on a quest to shoot a deer with one or both of them. One was made in 1939, the other in 1942. I think it would be pretty neat to harvest a deer with a rifle that is 70 years old and a round that has been in service for 120 years. 7.62x54r

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get the bayonnet on either one. Probably going to have to do a little sanding if I want to mount them. I found online that the pre '41 ones are usually better looking because once the war came to Russia, they weren't so picky about tooling marks and such. The '39 is prettier than the '42 but performance should be the same. They were made in different factories also. They are consecutive serial numbers though since they were numbered for import.

I can't wait to get out and shoot it. Would have this morning but it was raining.

The "thirty Russian" is a fun round but I have had limited success finding any quality ammo for accuracy. Same goes for the 7.62mm x 39mm. Maybe it's the ammo, barrels or both. I think S & B used to make some "match" ammo for the 7.62mm x 54mm Rimmed.
    That fish was on that fly, faster than Oprah on a sweet roll! Tim Hebbard
    I'm not part of a redneck agenda. Green Day

Comment

I've got a friend who bought one and killed two does with it last year.

Comment

Is it similar to a 3006 ballistically?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbosan View Post
          Is it similar to a 3006 ballistically?
          Yep, basically right in between a .308 and a 30-06 from what I can tell. Some call it the Russian 30-06 and it is popular as a hunting cartridge over there. I found some soft points in 150 grain and hopefully will go shoot soon.

Funny thing, Cabela's called today and informed me that the AR I ordered in April was in. Oops, going to have 3 new guns in the safe in one week. Wife hasn't said much, but I bet my birthday will be uneventful.:badgrin:

Comment

Aye, I have one, bought it last year. Mine's a 1940, from the Izhevsk armory. Hell of a lot of fun to shoot, though that steel butt leaves my weenie shoulder sore after a while. Bought a Limbsaver at Wally World to smooth out the recoil, and it's night-and-day.

I would recommend watching this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA on remedying "sticky bolt" syndrome, which is pretty much guaranteed due to the lacquer coating from cartridges, cosmoline/grease residue and god knows what else that's built up in the bore over the years. It's quite annoying but relatively easily fixed.

As for ammo, I've not heard/read many complaints about the accuracy of commercially available ammo, and a lot of the surplus seems to have good reviews too, particularly Czech surplus if you can get it. Winchester and S&B both make a 7.62x54R cartridge.

Comment

This will make you Nagant guys laugh. Fun comparision chart

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Comment

I plan on picking up a couple of them once they go on sale again I think they are cooler than hell.

Comment

hell is not very cool
                  Last edited by Chuck_Tritz; 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM.
                  If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Comment

Working...
                  X