Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The River Rat
    replied
    wooh there boys! What an explosive thread! Truth is... You're all correct. The farmers will do whatever they want with their land to make as much money as possible. Nothing wrong with that. But it does make it hard on us pheasant hunters, which I have heard, is not their primary concern. As for the thread S.O. I have never pheasant hunted SD but have been told by many folks that the public land around Lake Oahae is a sure bet. Good Luck!
    P.S. One thing I do know about SD, if you go early season, make sure you're dog is snake trained.
    Last edited by The River Rat; 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Springer owner
    replied
    Not to belittle what was said, but you highjacked my thread!!!!"

Anyone with any opinions to my query?

Leave a comment:

• Vikes forever
    replied
    Originally posted by Springer Daddy View Post
    In my mind, the myth of the farmer as the conservationist or environmentalist must be dispelled and replaced with the reality of the farmer as the shrewd businessman squeezing every last drop of grain out of the land.
    I'm sure you say no to any additonal raises or bonuses you may be offered at your place of work...or ask to be on a lesser health insurance plan, or not be on any at all too...I'd wager a good bet that any farmers on this board that read your post just think to themselves that it's just another post by some guy who is just talking out of his a**...As a man who grew up on a farm, and goes back to help out anytime I can, I can tell you that categorizing all involved like that is just ignorant.

Craiginc offered some real good advise...whether you choose to use it, or continue to bellyache is up to you.
    Last edited by Vikes forever; 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jimbosan
    replied
    Does anyone know whats going to happen when the Gov stops the subsidy for ethonol production? How much do you think corn prices will drop?

Leave a comment:

• fishcatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Springer Daddy View Post
    In my mind, the myth of the farmer as the conservationist or environmentalist must be dispelled and replaced with the reality of the farmer as the shrewd businessman squeezing every last drop of grain out of the land.
    Do you try and make money at your job?

Leave a comment:

• south of 41
    replied

How much disposable income you Putin into cover?

I tend to judge the individual and not cookie cut groups of people.

Craiginc offered good advise...

Leave a comment:

• Springer Daddy
    replied
    Yeah, the pheasant hunting around Wayne is nothing like it used to be, but let's not characterize all farmers that way. I can show you specific examples right outside of Wayne that disprove your theory. Some farmers read this board too, Spring-dad.
    True, not all farmers, but in NE Nebraska raping the land for profit certainly is the rule and not the exception.

Go to the southern and eastern Wayne Co and show me any significant cover that a farmer has that would support pheasant; I'd like to see that.

If farmers read this board, good, they already know what I'm talking about.

I know how the motel owners and diners in Wayne and surrounding towns feel about the current farming practices; the days of the packed diners for Hunters breakfasts and the packed motels on opening weekend are long gone.

Leave a comment:

• tontoman
    replied
    Yeah, the pheasant hunting around Wayne is nothing like it used to be, but let's not characterize all farmers that way. I can show you specific examples right outside of Wayne that disprove your theory. Some farmers read this board too, Spring-dad.

Leave a comment:

• Springer Daddy
    replied
    I used to hunt up around Wayne, but every farmer is farming road to road. If they have an opprotunity to take out any pheasant cover, and plant 6 more corn stalks, they'll do it.

Hunting in NE Nebraska (Dixon, Dakota, Wayne Cos) is a shell of what it was 15-20 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Craiginc
    replied
    South Dakota. Go after Thanksgiving and almost everyone will let you hunt if you ask--especially if hunting with kids. We usually focus in the North East due to the sheer number of birds and places to hunt. Whats nice about South Dakota is you can legally road hunt. If it was not for the sheer number of birds and road hunting--I would not recommend SD. I am not a Fan of South Dakota due to their lack of letting us Non-Residents Hunt in the 'Big Game Refuge' called SD Waterfowling. "Yes, I am bitter !!!

If you want to keep the money in the State--go down around Franklin West to the Colorado Border--lots of small family owned Motels would love your business and possibly will point you in the right direction--especially if you have kids with you. Again stay away until after Rifle Deer Season--everyone by then usually lets you hunt --unless it's lease to guys from Colorado. The further West you go the more "leased" ground there is..... Huge pocket of Leases around Arapahoe-Cambridge-McCook....and the dryer it gets for the dogs to work.

Kansas. Lots of public and walk-in areas to hunt. Lot's of Birds (One to Two Miles South of the Entire Nebraska Border). Again lots of family owned small Motels.
    It better late than early due to the usually heavy "dry" cover in the ditches for the dogs to work. By late December, there is usually 1-2 " of snow on the ground West of Concordia, Kansas. Birds are seem to be everywhere -- especially in old wheat stubble !

Iowa. Birds hit hard like Nebraska. We hunt at least three times a year within 2 Hours of Omaha--but we do not see the Birds we used too ! Still get a three bird limit--but now you have to work for it. Again, Iowa allows Road Hunting--Guns in Cases. Only problem is the most birds are right around Council Bluffs-Cresent-Logan-Mo Valley and there are now houses springing up everywhere.

Finally, as one old hunter to the next--explore Nebraska. Each weekend, get up and go a different direction 3-4 hours from Omaha and hunt back. Still alot of birds in pockets all around the East--just have to stumble into them and knock on a few doors. I would focus away from the South East (South of Syracuse) and up around Wayne gets hunted really hard--but it always gets good again after Christmas--fewer hunters--more opportunities to bump into land owners working cattle.

Leave a comment:

• Well, thinking of S.D. for pheasants this year

After reading the outlook for pheasants:sad:. . . and I'm not complaining, every person on this site, the NGPC, and every other hunter wishes it were different. . . but I am considering trying South Dakota for pheasants for the first time this year.

If I do it, it will be me and my boy driving north, camping or finding a hotel, and hunting public land in Southeast S.D.

Anyone have any experience/opinions on doing this? I am an experienced pheasant hunter, but I have never been to S.D.

Opinions are what I want, so speak up!!!
Working...
X