Using smoke as a scent killer/cover scent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjm View Post
    I've heard about the smoke, but have never tried it.

I use Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    Thats awesome! Thanks for the smile. :D
    "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

Comment

I pretty much stop using any kind of deoderant or soap that has a scent to it one month before the season and opt for anything that is scent free and hypoallergenic. ALL my cloths, hunting, work and casual wear get washed in Arm & Hammer Scent free Laundry soap, and before a hunt I try soak in the tub with about 1/2 baking soda added to the water. Change into my hunting cloths when I get to the spot and pack in what I can to avoid sweating. After I get situated in the tree I break out a wet wash cloth I pack fresh before I leave and keep in a 1 gal ziplock to wipe down the face and pits real good then pack away the cloth (Use a new one each time :wRazzing It seems to work and is not as much trouble as it may sound.

Comment

I bought a bigger scope for my 30.06 M_wRazzing:
        (dont like sitting still for hours at a time)

I have been very close to deer and never used any type of cover scent.

Use to smoke while hunting and really havent notice much more of an advantage since i quit .

But i am more restless waiting on deer since i kicked the butts.
        Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Comment

Ill be a non smoker before my first sit this year, I hope my restlessness doesn't increase but rather my relentlessness. :D

Im just trying my best to figure out if all this high dollar scent killer is a gimmick. If it doesn't aid in scent protection after its has dried, its really unnecessary. If its a peroxide mix, no doubt its killing bacteria WHEN APPLIED.

Been thinking alot about this, no one can tell me what I want to know.
          "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

Comment

The plant manager at my old job came from Minnesota, he told me had a hunting buddy up there that would sit at the base of a tree in woods every year and start a small fire to stay warm and his buddy never failed to shoot his buck while the fire was going. His thought was the smell of smoke brought deer in out of curiosity.
            Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Has anyone tried the Ozonics Sytem, had any luck with it?

Comment

Originally posted by goose abuser View Post
                Ill be a non smoker before my first sit this year, I hope my restlessness doesn't increase but rather my relentlessness. :D

Im just trying my best to figure out if all this high dollar scent killer is a gimmick. If it doesn't aid in scent protection after its has dried, its really unnecessary. If its a peroxide mix, no doubt its killing bacteria WHEN APPLIED.

Been thinking alot about this, no one can tell me what I want to know.

I have fallen for a lot of gimmicks over the years that's for sure. I think everything a person needs to know about scent control has been documented over thousands of years of human existence. Were are alive today from our ancestors killing a lot of wild game at very close ranges.

When I first started hunting a new camo was on the market called tree bark. That was the first camo you could get outside of military style. I bought some from the fabric store, cut a hole out of the top and wore it poncho style over camo green pants. When it got colder you layered up with regular clothes under the poncho. Tree stands were just getting more popular but the first 3 years of bowhunting for me were still spent on the ground hunting from brush blinds you built up yourself. For the next few years after that it was from home made portable 10 foot wooden ladder stands. We loved it when the corn was up! A 8 foot wooden ladder from 4 rows in made the perfect field tree stand. The things you would see from that vantage point until harvest at times were incredible. Now hunters curse unharvested corn as a problem. Back in the day it could be cheap and effective hunting cover depending on the situation

Cover scents consisted of basically 1 ( that I can rememeber) and that was skunk. Nobody I knew could stand the smell so I have never seen anybody that used it . There were the traditional doe in heat products but again nobody I knew of wanted to spend money on what was considered a "gimmick" at the time. Sprinkle a bottle of pee on the ground and big bucks come running ??? Please ….. :xGoofey: There were some grunt tubes out and rattling was a secret trick that had some black magic around it. Again make noise and bucks come running?? Please…. :xGoofey:

Trail cams ? It was called black thread or real light mono. Strung at around 4 feet along the trail the only thing that was going to trip it ( in Nebraska) was a deer. Big prints and a broken thread might even mean a nice buck! At worst a fat doe , either way how could you go wrong was the attitude! Scouting was done in person with a pair of binoculars

And we killed a lot of deer..
                Last edited by centerx; 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

This was brought to my attention on another forum. Amazing how old spice body wash out performed most of the sprays out there.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/re...bit-your-scent

Comment

Originally posted by jimbosan View Post
                    Has anyone tried the Ozonics Sytem, had any luck with it?
                    All I know is that they are expensive! I would be curious if anyone has tried one out?
                    There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
                      All I know is that they are expensive! I would be curious if anyone has tried one out?
                      They are expensive and a pain in the *** to carry in and mount. Then, you have to re-adjust it everytime the the wind changes. I like the idea of the log6 in a barrel much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X