Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using smoke as a scent killer/cover scent

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question: Using smoke as a scent killer/cover scent

    Wondering how many guys on here have tried it? Ive heard some really good things. Smoke naturally kills bacteria, and its a common smell in the Nebraska winter months.

    I went ahead and ordered the bee smokers to try this out. Im not sold on the scent killer sprays, so Im gunna try some smoke. Im worried though, Ive only been winded a couple times so Im doing something right. I hate to change what is working for me.

    Anyone have any stories?
    "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

    #2
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! If you do try it let me know how that works out for you. I typically just store my clothing with earth scent wafers and that works.
    There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

    Comment


      #3
      Guy I hunt with who chain smokes while he drives (including to the field) does just fine with smelling like smoke while bow hunting.

      Comment


        #4
        The best cover scent IMO is fox pee. Coon pee works too but sometimes the ones in the area kinda dig your smell and like to investigate. I've never hunted for the wind conditions. I'd simply put a few dabs on my outer clothing and throw them in a trash bag and tie it up a day or two before hunting. Then,pour some on my boots before walking in. Simple and I can honestly say I've never been winded and have had deer walk within touching distance.

        Alex
        They have cometh

        Comment


          #5
          Every deer I have ever killed I was smoking.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
            The best cover scent IMO is fox pee. Coon pee works too but sometimes the ones in the area kinda dig your smell and like to investigate. I've never hunted for the wind conditions. I'd simply put a few dabs on my outer clothing and throw them in a trash bag and tie it up a day or two before hunting. Then,pour some on my boots before walking in. Simple and I can honestly say I've never been winded and have had deer walk within touching distance.

            Alex
            Coon pee smells so bad! Super strong. I put a little dabble of that on the opposite side of the trail from where my stand is! Deer take a good sniff of it every time they walk by allowing me to draw back the bow!
            There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

            Comment


              #7
              Smoking cigarettes and smoking your body/gear is completely different. Cigarettes do nothing to kill bacterial odors produced by dead skin cells. Im not gunna smoke my outerlayers, just skin and gear that comes in contact with me. Im talking about like the indians, strip down naked and jump in a smokehouse for an hour before hunting.

              It wont be used as a cover scent, just a quick smoke to kill bacteria. If I wanted a good cover scent, Id use the apples they are eating everynight. Id rather smell like apples than fox piss I think. Im gunna try it, I know of a few old school guys that swear by it and they are 20x the bowhunter Ill ever be.
              "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by goose abuser View Post
                Smoking cigarettes and smoking your body/gear is completely different. Cigarettes do nothing to kill bacterial odors produced by dead skin cells. Im not gunna smoke my outerlayers, just skin and gear that comes in contact with me. Im talking about like the indians, strip down naked and jump in a smokehouse for an hour before hunting.

                It wont be used as a cover scent, just a quick smoke to kill bacteria. If I wanted a good cover scent, Id use the apples they are eating everynight. Id rather smell like apples than fox piss I think. Im gunna try it, I know of a few old school guys that swear by it and they are 20x the bowhunter Ill ever be.
                I don't wear fox piss unless I have a hot date! (Actually I only use it for what I stated earlier)

                I have never heard of this technique! So are you going to build some sort of hot box or something to sit in before you go out?
                There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

                Comment


                  #9
                  I read an article about testing different cover scents somewhere that said when you use a cover scent to try and cover your "human odor" it doesent work because a deers sniffer will take in all the scent molecules and then it will break them down into individual "odors". So it smells your covor scent and it smells your human scent. It did say that the tests showed skunk odor was strong enough to fool their nose somewhat. Killing the odor causing bacteria is the only way to be somewhat less detectable. Although i have heard of some pretty succesful hunters using the smoke bath method.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My own personal current philosophy on this is to do as little as possible to leave a trail of ANY scent. I have seen way to many odd things to make me believe anything for sure is a pro/con in the sent and sent prevention world of products

                    I have seen and heard of many deer taken while people smoked. I hunted with one individual who pretty much chain smoked while hunting and killed most of his deer with a burning cigarette.

                    I have seen deer attracted to human pee in a scrape. Seen just as many deer spooked by the same.

                    What if no fox live in the woods were you hunt? Does that scent spook them? If not why not? What if no apples grow and you smell like one? Why would a never smelled scent of apples not spook a dear but a never smelled scent of gasoline on your hands would? Or does it?

                    I have seen deer attracted to my decoy. I have seen some apparently spook by one as well.

                    Point is I really have no idea how deer interact with the scents around them EXCEPT if they smell a human scent they MAY ( not always ) spook. However many deer smell humans everyday so even then I think it's a proximity of that scent that alarms them. I like to sneak in as quite, sent free and unnoticed as possible. This approach I KNOW works.

                    Not sure how well running naked through smoke, spraying fox pee around me and rubbing myself with apples , peeing on every scrape down the trail to my stand works .However it's my own personally philosophy and fully admit that I may be missing out on some very fine tactics. Just never needed them.

                    As mentioned the Native Americans did use smoke as a deception. Not sure as a cover or a way to eliminate humans scent. I would guess both came into play on some level ?
                    Last edited by centerx; 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by goose abuser View Post
                      Wondering how many guys on here have tried it? Ive heard some really good things. Smoke naturally kills bacteria, and its a common smell in the Nebraska winter months.

                      I went ahead and ordered the bee smokers to try this out. Im not sold on the scent killer sprays, so Im gunna try some smoke. Im worried though, Ive only been winded a couple times so Im doing something right. I hate to change what is working for me.

                      Anyone have any stories?

                      I personally feel I have had some luck on the scent killer spays. I don't take a bath in it and expect my odor to disappear. However I do spray the inside and outside of my boots and up to my knees to help prevent human scent being transferred onto vegetation on my walk in. I'll give the inside of my hat a shot if I have been sweating.

                      Every once in a while I'll spray my pack or any other items that may be picking up foreign scent that I won't or can't stick in the washer or leave outside to air out.

                      Maybe a waste not sure? However when I can smell something , spray it , and then I can't I feel there is something to it?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by popers-n-ropers View Post
                        I read an article about testing different cover scents somewhere that said when you use a cover scent to try and cover your "human odor" it doesent work because a deers sniffer will take in all the scent molecules and then it will break them down into individual "odors". So it smells your covor scent and it smells your human scent. It did say that the tests showed skunk odor was strong enough to fool their nose somewhat. Killing the odor causing bacteria is the only way to be somewhat less detectable. Although i have heard of some pretty succesful hunters using the smoke bath method.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          It is standard practice for me to donn my clothes and stand in the thick smoke of cedar branches from a camp fire for a few minutes. Just make sure that there are not any plastics or styrofoam or anything that didn't grow from the ground in the area where you are hunting buring in the fire while you are "smoking yourself".
                          "Lord, suffer me a buck so large that even I, in talking of it afterward, have no need to lie."

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I've heard about the smoke, but have never tried it.

                            I use Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Some good stuff in this thread, glad I posted.

                              I had thought that scent killing sprays worked decent, until I started hunting hogs with my bow. I know a pigs nose is better than a whitetail but spraying down seemed pointless. If the spray dried for awhile, they would smell you immediately. Spraying down every 15 minutes helped a bit with a swirling wind. The heat and humidity may have been a huge factor but still. Im my own crazy mind I developed my own "dried out peroxide doesnt work" theory. If the spray doesnt help contribute to killing odor after it has dried, whats the point really? Could it be a huge waste of money? Who knows...

                              The bee smoker I bought costs the same amount as a larger bottle of scent killer. I plan to play around and see what I come up with. Ill purposely sit upwind of deer and draw my own conclusions with the spray vs smoke. Ill report back after a couple dozen sits.
                              "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X