Powder Horn WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder Horn WMA

Im looking for a place i can try to deer hunt. I cant hunt my private land right now, and looking for a secondary place until i can go there. Has anybody hunted Powder Horn, or been there? Is there alot of deer there?

It borders the Elkhorn River, there are plenty of deer. I have bow hunted it about 5 years ago. I wouldn't try gun hunting it. That place is packed with vehicles every gun season.
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

Powderhorn is pretty nice place along the river. Used to hunt it some years ago. Should be a good number of deer there.

Comment

I live pretty close to it and there are plenty of deer in there. Again the gun season is pretty nuts in there! I also talked to Cory Krause on Sunday, local game warden who lives in West Point and he said that he has already found some deer killed with the back straps cut out in Powderhorn. Across the river to the north the guy who owns the land found a dead deer on his land with the head cut off at the shoulders. I guess what I am saying is to be careful and keep your eyes open in there if you go! Good Luck also!!

Comment

I never deer hunted there but have been thru there and really think any property that borders the Elkhorn river will naturally have an abundance of deer. Dont shoot one. Take at least 4 does! ha

Comment

try RED FOX about aother 35 minutes past west point. I always see deer in there.

Comment

Go across the river in to Dead Timber. That will help with the winds.
              Red Fox is another good choice. There also is Black Island half way between Wisner and Pilger on the river. You also have to remember that there will be other poeple that think it is there place. Cann't tell you how many poeple that will walk right through your set up and not have a clue.

Comment

Cann't tell you how many poeple that will walk right through your set up and not have a clue.
                I had that happen at Powderhorn. During the peak of the rut, deer moving all over the place. I had a father and son walk within 50 yards of me. They waved and kept going. No sooner had they gone out of sight and I heard something coming from the same area they came from. I had a real nice pointer run a hot doe past me. Unfortunately I couldn't connect.
                "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

he has already found some deer killed with the back straps cut out in Powderhorn. Across the river to the north the guy who owns the land found a dead deer on his land with the head cut off at the shoulders.

There should be a season on the people who do this
                  Last edited by ssmith; 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Anyone from the Fremont area , Is there somewhere Jumpboots can get to ? He isn't old enough to drive .

Comment

Working...
                    X