Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layout blinds are ready

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
    The raffia was never meant to be the sole camo, we always take time to add camo from the local fields we hunt in as well as dig in when allowed to by the owner of the field. It does speed up the camo process tremendously and when we are finished we blend in as well as if we just used corn stalks and shucks.

    Your method works well. Just make sure you are using camo from the field which you are hunting for maximum cover and concealment
    "When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."
    - Ernest Hemingway

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
      The raffia was never meant to be the sole camo

      If thats the case you put way to much on.

      IMO I think the raffia grass is a big waste of money!

      I agree with NEHONKERS get a rake.

      Comment


        #18
        IMO you can't beat natural stuble from the spot your hunting. Sure it might take an extra hour and a half to get set-up, but concealment is the most important part of any waterfowl hunt.
        Is it duck season yet?

        "Look, a pair of singles!"

        Comment


          #19
          First of all for all the naysayers, I am not a rookie when it comes to hunting geese. I understand the ins and outs of camouflage. I am not asking you to do this to your blind, or even like it, to each his own. I have hunted out of lay outblinds for years and have done as some of you suggested (got a rake) and done it that way. I have had days where I have shot limits of geese and days when I didn't shoot any. I hunted out of some blinds done this way in Canada and liked how they looked in a corn field and wheat stubble so I decided to try it. Who knows, I might even change it again this year if I don't like it. I just wanted to try something different, so I did.

          Comment


            #20
            :xIDunno:I really don't get why everyone is ganging up on this guy.

            I think they look pretty good man. They'll help you kill birds!
            Last edited by brademan76; 09-21-2009, 08:36 PM.

            Comment


              #21
              IMO you'll be fine once you get some other natural stuff added. It's tough to tell from the pics...you'll find out when you get in the field I guess. Definitely saves you some time though.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
                I just wanted to try something different, so I did.
                Nice work. I heard that the green easter egg basket grass works real good in alfalfa and sod fields.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
                  Think these will disappear in the corn fields this fall?
                  Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
                  First of all for all the naysayers, I am not a rookie when it comes to hunting geese. I understand the ins and outs of camouflage. I am not asking you to do this to your blind, or even like it, to each his own. I have hunted out of lay outblinds for years and have done as some of you suggested (got a rake) and done it that way. I have had days where I have shot limits of geese and days when I didn't shoot any. I hunted out of some blinds done this way in Canada and liked how they looked in a corn field and wheat stubble so I decided to try it. Who knows, I might even change it again this year if I don't like it. I just wanted to try something different, so I did.
                  Ask a question, and you get an opinion. No need to defend yourself if you asked. If you want people to rub up on your junk on the forums, you have to say so, explicitly.

                  No one said you couldn't do it, they just answered the question you asked. Raffia can work, it just limits versatility. Something that layout blinds were designed to do with ease.

                  PO

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Patrick Olson View Post
                    If you want people to rub up on your junk on the forums, you have to say so, explicitly.
                    :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: Hilarious.

                    But seriously if someone could go ahead and come up with a quick and easy way to grass a layout that would be great.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by BPbowhunter View Post
                      Sure it might take an extra hour and a half to get set-up.

                      This is why we always use a little bit of raffia. Getting a hunt in on the daily before work is tough and always packing the layouts with grass is a pain. Raffia works well in our spots and "most" cornfields. But always gets extra added with it. Saves time thats for sure.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I know this is coming from a pro-staffer but ... I only do half of my layout/photography blinds in Killerweed or equivalent. You have to have natural surround material on your blind to make it work correctly. Having a darker colored base layer of Killerweed will be just that, a base layer. But, with half of the blind in that color, I'm half way home (other half of natural grass) to being done covering the blind. Like Ty says, "It just saves time."

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X