Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layout blinds are ready

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Layout blinds are ready

    I dug out the layout blinds yesterday and got them ready for the hunting season. Purchased some raffia, cut it into bundles and clipped it to the blinds. Think these will disappear in the corn fields this fall?

    picture 2

    #2
    Think these will disappear in the corn fields this fall
    Honestly...No. Most Raffia is a totally differently color and, IMO, sticks out horribly. Some of the "field" colors that come with an Avery pack of Raffia blends in fairly well but regular(non-dyed) color Raffia is way different than corn stubble color.

    Alex
    They have cometh

    Comment


      #3
      Mud up that grass and add a few cornstalks.
      Last edited by whisker; 09-20-2009, 01:53 PM.
      Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
      " Bowfishing - Embrace The Slime "

      Comment


        #4
        colors

        Actually is not regular blended colors, is from a company that makes hunting camo colors. We will add some dried corn husks and stocks when the time is right. I will post them in the field and will see then how they look. Must be doing something right, used the same camo last year and shot lots of ducks and geese.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
          Honestly...No. Most Raffia is a totally differently color and, IMO, sticks out horribly. Some of the "field" colors that come with an Avery pack of Raffia blends in fairly well but regular(non-dyed) color Raffia is way different than corn stubble color.

          Alex
          I agree. There is one way to really disappear in any form of cover and that is to go to the source. Whether it is a boat blind, layout boat, or field layout. You need to stubble up before almost every hunt with whatever you are hunting in, whether it is corn husks, cat tails, smartweed, or wheat stalks. Could mean waking up two hours earlier or risk getting your hands muddy and cut up, but the rewards are worth it, IMO.

          That is not to say that you can blend in with the synthetics, store bought stuff, raffia, etc. But there is absolutely no question in my mind that natural is better. And things like that might preclude going that route--it can take a few extra HOURS before the hunt to camo up blinds or boats, often you need to change out your previous stubble job for another, even between different corn fields or marshes. The natural stuff is not durable, will mold, fall off, etc. Sure, you can hide with raffia, and sometimes fairly well. In rare instances where there is absolutely no cover, raffia or the like may even be the best option. But there is no way you can disappear in all situations with something that comes from Africa. :zbow:

          The weakest link and most often reason for failure, other than location, is concealment. Any type of waterfowl, any conditions, any time of year.

          PO

          Comment


            #6
            Here's one of our blinds that had a package of Avery grass on it. Once I got the stuff out in the field and saw how different it was(color/brightness wise),it came off as soon as I got home.

            The extra time stuffing with natural ingredients is the only way to go IMO....





            IMO,if you're gonna stuff cornstalks,reeds,or whatever is the natural vegetation in the spot you're hunting,why waste the money(as I did once) on fake stuff that isn't really gonna blend in well anyway.

            Must be doing something right, used the same camo last year and shot lots of ducks and geese
            Then why ask if people think it'll make ya disappear??

            Alex
            They have cometh

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
              Here's one of our blinds that had a package of Avery grass on it. Once I got the stuff out in the field and saw how different it was(color/brightness wise),it came off as soon as I got home.

              The extra time stuffing with natural ingredients is the only way to go IMO....





              IMO,if you're gonna stuff cornstalks,reeds,or whatever is the natural vegetation in the spot you're hunting,why waste the money(as I did once) on fake stuff that isn't really gonna blend in well anyway.

              Then why ask if people think it'll make ya disappear??

              Alex

              Is that Big Sean Hammock in the 2nd pic?...lol:vThinking::surprised: Ya I would definitely just go with some stubble.
              "I love bass fishing, but bowfishing has my heart right now." -A lovely quote from DAN SMITH

              Comment


                #8
                Even moving from one corn field to another can sometimes make the blinds stick out. We use our natural surroundings every time(unless we are hiding in snow).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Ditto on using your surrounding cover for camo. Never been too impressed with the raffia. A cheap lawn rake is a great asset for your trailer or pick-up, saves a lot of time. Putting camo on my blind is one of my least favorite things to do, but one of, if not the most important things to do in waterfowling.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
                    I dug out the layout blinds yesterday and got them ready for the hunting season. Purchased some raffia, cut it into bundles and clipped it to the blinds. Think these will disappear in the corn fields this fall?

                    picture 2
                    my concern would be how heavy these blinds will become once they get wet and muddy,sometimes you have to carry your gear into a field. just an idea but maybe thin them out and then add the natural cover on that hunt. just an idea. good luck I will try to get some pics up of our new pit and wheat field soon. good luck to all!!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Where we hunt we do not have to carry our equipment into the field. The actual added weight is about 5-7 pounds heavier. We will add natural camo from each area we hunt to add to what we already have. It is interesting reading how many people are sure it won't blend in. Time will tell I guess.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by h20fowl_ne View Post
                        It is interesting reading how many people are sure it won't blend in.
                        I am 100% sure that it will not blend in as well as the natural surroundings that you can use. That's not to say it won't work. I know lots of peoples definition of blending in is not the same as mine. Blend in to me means disappear. There is no grass or camo on the market that you can lay in a corn field and have it disappear completely.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          It has its place. I dont put on that much but it sure helps speed up the process.

                          Alex the first picture in that field you are in it looks terrible. Now if you would have used it in that golden colored corn field it blends in nicely. Also would have worked good in that other pic where Brandon is camoing up.

                          Now I never use it just alone by itself. I always put on my own surrounding grass as well.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Is that Big Sean Hammock in the 2nd pic?...
                            :lol: :lol: NO.

                            Alex
                            They have cometh

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The raffia was never meant to be the sole camo, we always take time to add camo from the local fields we hunt in as well as dig in when allowed to by the owner of the field. It does speed up the camo process tremendously and when we are finished we blend in as well as if we just used corn stalks and shucks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X