Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to shoot, or not to shoot......SHOOT! (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to shoot, or not to shoot......SHOOT! (Updated)

well, Id have to attribute killing this deer to observing their habits all last season. Got a stand in back in May that was setup for an east/southeast wind...(which how often does it blow out of the east around here.....just crap luck it happened on opening day.) the place where I hunt has some big timber that is very hilly and the deer bed back in the timber by a small pond. well, they consistently use the least steep access point to come up out of the timber to feed in the fields above, so it was just a matter of finding the correct tree to get downwind/ or at least get a parallel wind. First time I ever sat in it, and it paid off. Whats nice about the stand is that if you get that right wind it casts your scent out over an extremely deep gully, so it's near impossible to get winded. Won't be the last time I sit there! Got into the stand at about 445 and didnt see a thing until 5 mins after sunset and then the bachelor group came by. This guy was second in line, about 15 yard shot and he made it about 60yds.

as he laid

some pics of him getting out of velvet

big thanks to obert too for helping me out. I had NO intentions of killing a deer last night, and he was nice enough to come help me get this piggie loaded and even helped my quarter him out and cape him. :eusa_clap: Made it a lot quicker...even though I still had to work at 3am this morning:vtiered: to bed I go. thanks for looking.
    Last edited by flatcoats; 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM.

looks it should go pope! nice buck, i wouldn't have hesitated either!

Comment

Nice! all I can say is Nice!!! Great buck man!!

Comment

Nice buck. is that one from your trail cam pics.

Comment

awesome buck your scouting and hard work paid off! can I buy a map of the area your hunting????:lol:

Comment

M_zclapping: :Beer:
            Peace and Love

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Very Nice!!:zclapping::rock:

Comment

Nice buck Flatcoats!! Thanks for posting that! Opening day BBD!!

Comment

Good job flat!!
                    "I'm a man I can change if I have to I guess" Red Green

Comment

Awesome! Now what do you do? Shot your buck on opening day and you have a long time to wait. ha

Last year I almost poked one on opening day but he just wasnt quite the monster that you shot and about Dec 27 I was wishing that I would have done it.

Again congrats and great work as usual.

Comment

Nicely done, sounds like you earned it with all the scouting and planning.

Comment

That's BA! Congrats. That has to be an awesome feeling tricking em the first time out.
                          "I love bass fishing, but bowfishing has my heart right now." -A lovely quote from DAN SMITH

Comment

:2thumbsup: Congrats!! Good Deer!!
                            *-Even a fish could stay out of trouble if it learned to shut its mouth-*

Comment

BBD on opening day! You are in rare company now Flatcoats! Congrats on a very nice animal, certainly P&Y! :Beer:

Comment

Working...
                              X