Ia ne hunting agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ia ne hunting agreement

saw on the news there was a new agreement between IA and NE for hunting. Anyone have any details? Thank you.

IA DNR: Iowa, Nebraska Enter Reciprocal Hunting License Agreement on Specified Public Use Areas

Iowa, Nebraska Enter Reciprocal Hunting License Agreement on Specified Public Use Areas
    Posted: September 11, 2009
    DES MOINES - In an effort to provide more opportunities for sportsmen to utilize a number of public areas in both states, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and Nebraska Game and Parks Commission have entered into a reciprocal agreement for upcoming hunting seasons.
    This agreement does not apply to deer, turkey, or grouse hunting, which will still require licenses from the state being hunted in all circumstances. Hunters with valid small game, upland game, migratory bird, and furbearer licenses from either state will be able to hunt on parts of multiple public areas along the Missouri River.
    This agreement would allow Nebraska resident license holders access to Iowa public lands on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River and Iowa resident license holders access to Nebraska public lands on the Iowa side of the Missouri River. While hunting these areas, hunters must follow all season dates and regulations of the state in which they are hunting.
    The affected public areas included in this agreement include Omadi Bend, Snyder Bend, Glover's Point, Tieville Bend, Monona Bend, Middle Decatur, Lower Decatur, Little Sioux, Sandy Point, and Lower Bullard Bend. DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge is not included in this agreement. For further information, contact your local conservation officer.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I plan on leaving it the same way!

Comment

This is the best news I have had in months, saves me the cost of not only my NR Iowa license but also the kids.

Iowa early duck here we come!! WOOHOOO!!! :rock:

Comment

Originally posted by gooseh8r View Post
        Iowa early duck here we come!! WOOHOOO!!! :rock:
        Word. Saw this last friday on the IA DNR, but wasn't going to drop it in public. :wRazzing: Duck season gets started 3 weeks early... Was going to drop the $135, but not any more. Was going to be the only one that was going to do it, so was going to head out solo. Now buddies can do it for free. Heading out to scout big ducks tomorrow. PUMPED!

PO

Comment

Sweeeet!!! This is great news and I will be doing some scouting later in the week!

Also, a full scouting report will be available for only $24.99:aano: (just joking).

Comment

As was said in another forum.. If you plan to hunt Iowa you'll need an IA license.

You CAN hunt the IA areas when the NE seasons are open for that particular area/zone. You'll need to follow the NE season dates no matter what side of the river your on. (if you only have a NE license)

Or if your an IA resident you need to follow IA season dates no matter what side of the river your on.

Comment

Originally posted by thumpper View Post
              As was said in another forum.. If you plan to hunt Iowa you'll need an IA license.

You CAN hunt the IA areas when the NE seasons are open for that particular area/zone. You'll need to follow the NE season dates no matter what side of the river your on. (if you only have a NE license)

Or if your an IA resident you need to follow IA season dates no matter what side of the river your on.
              That is the exact opposite of what the release says. That was the basic idea of how the old laws went. You can now hunt IA waters on the Nebraska "side" (but not state boundary!) of the Missouri with a NE permit. However you must go by the seasons and regulations of the state you are in. Seems like the NGPC and IA DNR are confused about the issue. Guess I will have to check first hand tomorrow.

PO

Comment

I talked to an IA officer earlier. For example, Snyder bend is part IA and part NE. You can hunt this weekend in the IA area of the lake with a NE permit and abide by the IA bag limits. You need to make sure you are hunting IA land as many of the lands that are part of the agreement have the state lines running through them. Do your homework on what part of the areas are NE and IA and have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                  Sweeeet!!! This is great news and I will be doing some scouting later in the week!

Also, a full scouting report will be available for only $24.99:aano: (just joking).
                  I'll pay the money if your report has exact areas I can hunt on the Ia side with a Ne lic:lol:. I'm more confused now than before!:xDOH:

Comment

Gotta say confused too now.. NGPC informed me that I need to follow the NE seasons for hunting. If the NE season opened this weekend for that zone I/we could hunt any portion of it!

From my understanding this weekend (snider bend for instance) IA hunters are able to hunt ANYWHERE within the bend and not have to worry about the state line of that particular area.

I've got an email out to IA DNR but haven't heard a response I may call the CO in that area tomorrow.

(fyi yes i know i mispelled the location)

Comment

More I think about it, this is WAY more confusing than it was before. :lol:

Better know your stuff before hand. Dont know what they are like now but Iowa usually has more restrictive limits on both ducks and canadas. For instance last I knew the limit for canadas in iowa was 2 and you could only shoot 4 mallards.

Not to mention I know Iowa used to have "no dark goose hunting zones". One of these zones covered Tieville Bend. It was a ace in the hole for Canadas, you couldnt shoot em in the Iowa portion but the Nebraska portion you could, basicly hunting them on a refuge. Of course the last time I looked at Tieville that place was so dry you couldnt get a boat in it let alone get to the Nebraska portion of it.

Comment

Sounds like a joint plan by the DNR and NGPC to raise money by giving hunters a bunch of fines because they were confused on the new rules....:zCofferIntheMorning :IDK:

Either way it should make the first few days of the new seasons interesting!
                        A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
                        ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

Comment

somebody tell Obama we need a cool million dollar stimulis package to figure this out:zclapping:!!!!!

Comment

Anyone get a final verdict on this? Can we hunt with a NE license during Iowa season or not?

Comment

I just talked to someone down at the district office in Omaha and they said that IA DNR and the newspaper are misleading people with the way it is worded. They have not decided if this is gonna happen or not. They are entering into discussions about doing this. Sounds like this may or may not happen.

Here is the number I called.
                              District Office
                              Omaha 1212 Bob Gibson Blvd. Omaha, NE 68108-2020 (402) 595-2144
                              That came right off game and parks.

Comment

Working...
                              X