Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of broadheads or mechanicals does everyone use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have much experience with the 2 or 3 blade Rages?
    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

BP, check flatcoats deer. I believe that is a rage 2 blade. I had a huge blood trail on the deer I shot opening morning last year with the rage 2 blade. Have heard more than one poor flight report on the 3 blades though.
      I'll keep my money, my guns and my freedom and you can keep the "change."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave 54 View Post
        Been using 125 Muzzy 3 blades , work great can't see any reason to change
        Yep! If it ain't broke don't fix it!:zBowHunting:

Comment

I have been shooting muzzys for over 20yrs. Love them. I shot the mx3 last year and the buck I shot went only 20yrds. I got a new bow this year and I am having trouble getting them to group well. They seem to fly a little wild. I am thinking of going to the rage expandables.

Comment

I had problems with the mx3s. The reg 3 blade was great, but just never could get consistent with the x3.

Comment

Thats exactly my problem. I used my friends 2 blade rage practice blade the other night and had a great grouping.

Comment

I shot the rage 2 blades last year and then did their job. Left a huge hole, big blood trail and the animal did not go far. I also like the razor caps.

Comment

I heard the same thing from a guy I hunted with a couple of times, but I still went and bought the mx3s anyways b/c I like the muzzy 3 blades so much. I was very inconsistent on the shots, went to the montecs and haven't had a problem. The Muzzy 3 blades were great, I just couldn't get the mx3s to fly right. And I have no idea why.

Comment

Obert, are you useing the 2" or 3" wraps on your arrows? I switched to that this year and couldn't get my X3's to group either. Did a bunch of fine tuning and it got better but wasn't satisfied. finally cut my arrows down 2 more inches and put the 4" fletching back on and now they fly really good. I think I just needed to tune my arrows to the broadhead. I also tried the quick spin fletching and they were horrible, unless I was shooting field tips.

Comment

I had the regular wraps and put on 2" vanes. Maybe they don't fly well with 2", that could be I guess?

The guy I hunt with tried those quick spin fletching and hated them too. I dont' know what it is about them, but they don't seem to work. He went back to the regular wraps and then gluing the fletching on and now does fine.

Comment

I changed my fletching to the 2" this year. Great flight for my field points but broadheads are not so good. I found a new fletching called FOB. I am going to try them. They say they will work for any kind of broad head. Costs around $20 and you get 12. I watched alot of youtube videos on them and they seem to work pretty good. Not out much if you don't like them. Here is the website. One thing though you have to use a drop away rest with them.

Comment

Muzzy 125's
                          "When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."
                          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by obert View Post
                            BP, check flatcoats deer. I believe that is a rage 2 blade. I had a huge blood trail on the deer I shot opening morning last year with the rage 2 blade. Have heard more than one poor flight report on the 3 blades though.
                            yes it was. You wont see me shooting anything else at bucks. I truly feel you're at a distinct disadvantage if you dont give them a try. They truly do turn marginal shots into kill shots (granted you give the animal time to die)...just gives me a lot more confidence knowing Im hitting a deer with something almost the size of a baseball essentially. But unless you're swimming in extra cash I would advise having something else in youre quiver for does and other shot opportunities. at $13 a pop, it can become expensive real quick:shock:.

One disclaimer tho, I dont know how well I would like them for spot and stalk...not sure how big of a pain in the butt they'd be getting partially deployed and such if youre rolling around with them all the time....might be sticking with a cut on contact or something like the muzzy 3blade in that instance.

Comment

Thanks guys for posting. After all that I am reading some of you have me a little worried about my broadheads (Mx3's) . Its to late in the year to change now, I am going to stick with these and see what happens. But if I don't like what I am seeing, then next year I might change a few things.

Thanks again:zBowHunting:

Comment

I just went to get in bed and picked up Sept issue of N A Hunter. One of the Q and A was about the MX3 100. Guy writes in and says he can group at 10 but not 20 after he switched. The author (Mark Kayser) suggests to try another model of broadhead b/c "a couple of years back I had trouble stabilizing the Mussy MX, but switched back to teh standared Muzzy 3 blade, 100 gr broadheads and was hitting the target accurately at 60 yards and beyond."

I got a kick out of this when I sat down to read this mag since we were just talking about this on here. Must be an issue with quite a few?

Comment

Working...
                                X