No announcement yet.

Hijacking tree stands on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fish, just head north or west and you shouldn't have much problem getting permission in those areas. Plenty of deer and plenty of people who want to get rid of deer.
    I'll keep my money, my guns and my freedom and you can keep the "change."

Comment

Originally posted by fishcatcher View Post
      how do you lock up the tree stands to the tree? just with a chain and padlock? i just moved from lincoln to wayne for college so i will most likely be hunting public ground since i havent had the chance to obtain permission on private land.!
      If its a 'chain' on deer stand just take a lock with you. If its a 'strap' on tree stand take some chain and or a cable lock to lock it to the tree. I would be apt to use CHAIN though.

Friend had his stand shot down a week after pheasant season opened. We found the cable lock riddled with pellets.

Comment

So can you certainly go to jail for fighting over a spot and get all your hunting gear confiscated even if it’s your stand that you set up yourself ..? Somebody to answer please

Comment

Originally posted by Oddie82 View Post
          So can you certainly go to jail for fighting over a spot and get all your hunting gear confiscated even if it’s your stand that you set up yourself ..? Somebody to answer please
          On public land, it is first in the stand gets to use it...even if it's one that you put up. Jail? Probably. Confiscated gear? No.
          I'm the kind of friend who will help you get rid of a body. But if you betray me, just remember...I know how to dispose of a body. Just sayin'.

Comment

Just want to know the laws before putting up my own at a public land. Thanks. Anyway I would never argue with someone because he is at my spot although it is sort of frustrating and if I go up onto someone else’s and that person arrives and he politely ask me to move somewhere else I would get down without arguing over it after all it’s not worth it. Although it is legal it’s unethical. I consider that before these situations. We have to be conscious and courteous we each other.. Thanks for your answer

Comment

You mean I could go on public land, find a spot I like and if someone else is there, just tell them it is my stand and see if they move.......nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Oddie82 View Post
                Just want to know the laws before putting up my own at a public land. Thanks. Anyway I would never argue with someone because he is at my spot although it is sort of frustrating and if I go up onto someone else’s and that person arrives and he politely ask me to move somewhere else I would get down without arguing over it after all it’s not worth it. Although it is legal it’s unethical. I consider that before these situations. We have to be conscious and courteous we each other.. Thanks for your answer
                First come first serve on public, things you can do to minimize anyone being in your stand e.g. remove and pack in steps/stick ladders, avoid obvious trail markers, get there earlier. Most people will vacate the stand if you show up, if they don’t just sit down under the tree. You have as much right to the spot as they do but you did the work so screw ‘em that’s what they’re doing to you if they don’t leave. Why should they capitalize off your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
                  You mean I could go on public land, find a spot I like and if someone else is there, just tell them it is my stand and see if they move.......nice!
                  1.That would take serious balls.
                  2.You would be in for a fight try to prove it was yours. (I engrave my name with a Dremel tool on all my stuff)
                  3. I have had people literally set a stand in the next best tree 5 yards away facing me.
                  4. It’s nice to finally hunt private ground

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post

1.That would take serious balls.
                    2.You would be in for a fight try to prove it was yours. (I engrave my name with a Dremel tool on all my stuff)
                    3. I have had people literally set a stand in the next best tree 5 yards away facing me.
                    4. It’s nice to finally hunt private ground
                    My post was kinda “tongue in cheek” but with everyone saying you should leave a stand which is not yours if the “owner” comes around is just crazy too. Public is public and if you are not in a stand you put up, well game on!

Comment

55 posts (including mine!) to discuss a SIMPLE program.

TREE STANDS THAT ARE ALLOWED ON PUBLIC PROPERTY AUTOMATICALLY BECOME FIRST COME-FIRST SERVED IF LEFT ON THE PUBLIC PROPERTY!

Sorry for "YELLING", but, c'mon people. Is EVERYTHING a DEBATE?

Harold F.
                      (IF you are successful, be sure to leave "a gift" of appreciation!)
                      Report Fish/Game Violations:
                      1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post

My post was kinda “tongue in cheek” but with everyone saying you should leave a stand which is not yours if the “owner” comes around is just crazy too. Public is public and if you are not in a stand you put up, well game on!
                        If you left your boat on a public lake at the dock tonight and I was in it tomorrow morning when you show up does thay mean I can stay, it’s public, you left it. First come first serve

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post

If you left your boat on a public lake at the dock tonight and I was in it tomorrow morning when you show up does thay mean I can stay, it’s public, you left it. First come first serve
                          Does the law say it you leave your boat on a Public lake, first come first served?

Didn't think so.

H
                          Report Fish/Game Violations:
                          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

Does the law say it you leave your boat on a Public lake, first come first served?

Didn't think so.

H
                            Making a joke with that one, but speaking on the tree stands, common courtesy and a general rule of ethics dictates you stay away from stuff that’s not yours.

Comment

I can see both sides of this debate but feel strongly that if a person is hunting by the letter of the law that person should not be viewed in a negative light. A good portion of the public land in Nebraska is divided by little pieces where there may only be 1 or 2 good stand locations. Just because one person beats another there with his stand doesn't mean that person has dibs on the area.

Comment

im one back surgery deep so i stay on the ground. I have scouted a spot, it had no stand, come back the next week and there was a stand but noone in it so i stayed and hunted that spot. Dude walked right by me and climbed into the stand. Wasnt worth the hassle to me so i went and hunted a different spot. Its funny the tough talk on here about people knowing peoples displeasure if they were in their stand though. I mean the law is the law. Its pretty black and white. Ethics get into a grey area. why let the situation ruin your days hunt?

Comment

• Harold
                                  Harold commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Didn't SEE YOU? Great Camo!

HA!
                              Working...
                              X