Hijacking tree stands on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Hijacking tree stands on public land

My bowhunter ed teacher told us that it is legal for anyone to use an unoccupied tree stand when it's up on public land... and also that if the guy that put it up comes in, and someone else is in it, they don't have to get down either. He would just be out of luck.

Now, I found a stand in a good spot on some public land that I plan to hunt. I would consider using it if this is in fact true. The only thing that makes me hesitate is either getting shot at or having the guy leave the woods and vandalize my vehicle. I could also just get down and leave if he comes in, but I don't want to get assaulted once my feet touch the ground. I'd be completely vulnerable.

And obviously, if this is not legal or ethical, I wouldn't even try it.

Thoughts?

:vThinking:
    Last edited by fishinwithdad; 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM.
    "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." - Mark Twain

I would not hunt out of someone else's stand. If I ever chose to do so I'd get down if they came no questions asked. Even though it may not be courteous to leave a stand out to "mark a spot" I'd still be courteous and let them have their stand. Someone who leaves a stand to mark a spot shouldnt' get upste if there is a stand in the tree next to them. FCFS

My general rule is be courteous, even if I'm not shown the same thing. I don't like to waste the precious time I have to hunt fighting over a spot.

Of course there is always that line that can be crossed as well...:evil:
    I'll keep my money, my guns and my freedom and you can keep the "change."

Comment

Originally posted by fishinwithdad View Post

And obviously, if this is not legal or ethical, I wouldn't even try it.
      Originally posted by obert View Post
      My general rule is be courteous
      I think we agree on this part.

That's the part that makes me the most leery.

I am not normally inclined to even try it. The only reason I even ask is that the entire class was told that this is in fact legal, and the other hunter has no recourse whatsoever.

Without him saying that, I wouldn't have given it a thought. I don't think he himself would do it either, knowing what I know about him.
      Last edited by fishinwithdad; 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM.
      "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." - Mark Twain

Comment

I would never use another person stand. Just for the same reason; I would want my stand available if I came there in the dark. I guess some people have a warped sense of sharing because it's public property?
        Keeper of the Blue Bucket

Comment

OK guys, though I'm not a deer hunter, my question is about the ethics of leaving a stand on public property in the first place. Isn't it akin to abandoning it there? What's the difference (in your eyes) between leaving a stand up and say, leaving a couch or a fridge or any other property laying around? Say if I left a jonboat at Killdeer, why should I expect it to still be there the next time I come back?
          " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Just because you leave something out does not entitle another person to claim that piece of property. But also in the same regards, if you leave something out and it does get taken....don't act surprised. I wouldn't leave anything I value on public land.
            I'll keep my money, my guns and my freedom and you can keep the "change."

Comment

It is legal, but common curtesy would be let the owner hunt the stand if they show up. I think the law is to keep people from doing the old land grab and hang 50 stands in a area to claim it as their own(common at desoto a few years ago). If I go to all the trouble to scout and hang a stand in the heat and mosquitos I am going to hunt it, weather you are there or not.:chuck:
              Everybody has something to hide, except for me and my monkey.

Comment

OK I have always told myself I would never do this but here is the situation im in.

There is some deer stands that sit on public up here that I would really love my 14 year old nephew to use this fall. I know for a fact that I have NEVER EVER EVER seen anyone or even seen prints in the snow walking up to it after having it sit for weeks on end.

I thought about taking him out there and if the guy shows up I will just have him get down and leave. Or possibly leaving a note on it?

Comment

In my opinion, if stands are not taken down at the end of the season they become public property. Some are just left and the owner never comes back.
                  Everybody has something to hide, except for me and my monkey.

Comment

For safety sake I would never get in another persons stand for the sole reason that I only trust myself when it comes to hanging a treestand. This is not to say I am the only person that hangs them right. I'm saying that I know I hung it right and that I have no idea who hung the tree stand that I stumbled upon in the woods nor do I know if they accutually hung it correctly.

To me it's more safety than anything else.
                    "When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."
                    - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I personally wouldn't use the stand, I hunt 100% public land, I mainly use a climber. When I go scout I prep the tree and carry my stand back out, even when I use a hang on I do the samething. If someone was in the tree I had preped in the summer, I would just go to another tree I had prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Val Didrichsons View Post
                        OK guys, though I'm not a deer hunter, my question is about the ethics of leaving a stand on public property in the first place. Isn't it akin to abandoning it there? What's the difference (in your eyes) between leaving a stand up and say, leaving a couch or a fridge or any other property laying around? Say if I left a jonboat at Killdeer, why should I expect it to still be there the next time I come back?

Val, putting a stand up can be noisy, sometimes smelly(from sweating) and it takes a day or so for the stand to actually settle to the tree firmly. We leave them out so the next time, we can come back in quietly, scent free, and hopefully the way we left it. I secure mine with locks.
                        Keeper of the Blue Bucket

Comment

My vote is with Obert and Angler X. :ayes:
                          Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Originally posted by obert View Post
                            Just because you leave something out does not entitle another person to claim that piece of property. But also in the same regards, if you leave something out and it does get taken....don't act surprised. I wouldn't leave anything I value on public land.

That almost goes for leased and/or private land.
                            "When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."
                            - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I'm with DD I don't trust tree stands that I haven't put up....well unless it's a lone wolf then I might make an exception.
                              I'd rather be fishing for reds......

Comment

Working...
                              X