Does this bother anyone else????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this bother anyone else????

Remember the post a week ago about the 50 elk tags. I hope you do. And I hope you didn't just complain on here and then forget about it. PLEASE...contact your senator. Contact your NE G&P commissioner. Write letters to the editor!

The transcript of the meeting can be read at.....
    https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/…/Natural/2019-09-18.pdf

If you did read the transcript of that meeting I hope you read this...Quoting frrom the transcript.

"Page 111
    JAMES DOUGLAS: Thank you, Mr. Chairman and members of the Natural Resources Committee. My name is James Douglas, J-a-m-e-s D-o-u-g-l-a-s, and I serve as the director of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

Testimony from Page 117-118

For example, we found outlets for, for deer and some of our packing plant workers will take them. In Lexington, we've got a, a place where we can get rid of carcasses for hundreds of deer if we want to. We have issued depredation permits done in your district (Senator Hughes’ district) that will allow 750 deer to be taken. In that district, for example, we're gonna kill about a thousand antlerless deer this year. And a lot of those we hope can be done on antlerless permits that are depredation permits or landowner antlerless permits.

Page 124
    HUGHES: OK. The, the depredation permits, do they-- do you have to harvest some of the meat of a depredation permit?
    JAMES DOUGLAS: No, the statute, the statute says that you have to offer it for human consumption. And if you don't offer it-- if you can't find human consumption, then you can dispose of it in any other variety of way."

My GOD! You would be arrested and face jail time and a huge fine if you did that almost any place but Nebraska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe that is called "wanton waste."

Please do what you can to keep this in front of the public.!

I sure hope PETA doesn't monitor this site!!!!!!!!!

It is common in other states with depredation permits that the meat is not utilized. They work completely different than hunting permits. Right or wrong that part of a depredation permit is not exclusive to Nebraska

Comment

• Lenny
      Lenny commented
      Editing a comment
      I get it, but don’t have to like it

I was not aware of that. Seems wrong to me but then I don't make the rulles.

So what are your thoughts on killing 1000 antlerless deer in Southwest NE (Senator Hughes District compares to the Frenchman unit) when we just finally got the mule deer back to a huntable number and it is a tough draw to get a permit.

Comment

Sure It bothers me, I e-mailed people, I whined about it here, I even tried to contact the person receiving the elk depredation tag to see if my son could shoot one. No reply from anyone. I stand behind my statement that landowners want the deer and elk dead but will never let John Q Public do it. It’s their land they don’t have to allow access, but again, they don’t own the wildlife and should not be allowed to wholesale slaughter them!

Comment

I find it funny that I received an e-mail from G&P about signing up for an antlerless only registry a few days ago. I signed up, checked every single county (because I will take every for my opportunity for my kids to hunt) and I guarantee I will never get contacted by a single landowner. I already gave the idea of having a pool of CERTIFIED and vetted hunters for landowners to contact, no way their going to call random unknown people to tromp around their property, I wouldn’t.

We really need a program in place that allows for the landowners to finally put some trust back in our hunting community. No one wants to contact a complete stranger who did nothing more than fill out a bit of basic info on a website. Now if they could see a background check, hunter safety course refresh, and a weapon proficiency test, they may feel a lot better contacting complete strangers. All these things can be achieved, and as a hunter with two hunting children I would jump through these hoops to allow them to hunt and build a positive relationship with landowners that could provide a lifetime benefit for everyone involved. Problem is it feels like ethical hunters like my family and those represented on this forum have been disregarded and tossed aside. We’re told “if you don’t like it buy your own land, hunt public or just quit!”

Comment

I have signed up for that program in the past. Crickets

Comment

• Lenny
            Lenny commented
            Editing a comment
            My second time.

I live on a farm near Ceresco. I think owning a farm gives me more credibility to say this is just awful and I don’t know how they can sleep at night. Maybe the Nebraska hunter should just go on strike and not purchase any permits at all for a year and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
            I find it funny that I received an e-mail from G&P about signing up for an antlerless only registry a few days ago. I signed up, checked every single county (because I will take every for my opportunity for my kids to hunt) and I guarantee I will never get contacted by a single landowner. I already gave the idea of having a pool of CERTIFIED and vetted hunters for landowners to contact, no way their going to call random unknown people to tromp around their property, I wouldn’t.

We really need a program in place that allows for the landowners to finally put some trust back in our hunting community. No one wants to contact a complete stranger who did nothing more than fill out a bit of basic info on a website. Now if they could see a background check, hunter safety course refresh, and a weapon proficiency test, they may feel a lot better contacting complete strangers. All these things can be achieved, and as a hunter with two hunting children I would jump through these hoops to allow them to hunt and build a positive relationship with landowners that could provide a lifetime benefit for everyone involved. Problem is it feels like ethical hunters like my family and those represented on this forum have been disregarded and tossed aside. We’re told “if you don’t like it buy your own land, hunt public or just quit!”
            Excellent, heartfelt post sir! Hate to think of all that good eatin' going to waste. You have no idea how many doors I've knocked on and how many miles I've driven asking permission to to put a couple big does in my freezer, IN THAT AREA. The answer was always no. ????

Comment

This state is filled with thousands of ethical and efficient hunters. There is -0- reason we should not be the first in line when animals need to be harvested. The premise of wild game management in North America is that it is owned by the people.

Nebraska guarantees the RIGHT to hunt. Nebraska states that Hunters are the preferred method to control wildlife. Yet the State never , ever give hunters preference when wildlife needs controlling . In the meantime all the policy makers spend time and money on a problem that should never exist. They have meetings, they listen to testimony, they go and inspect damage , they issue permits… blahh … blahhh blahh.. For what reason? They spend money on administration of a “problem” and they lose money on the sale of permits that would resolve it.

When you talk to one of these policy makers they will tell you about private land ownership , how the state has a duty and obligation to help them out and .. .you guess it blahh.. .blahhh.. blahhh followed by “its complicated”… it is not.

You need a man with a gun to kill a deer? Call a Hunter , call lots of hunters if you have lots of deer. There is a whole registry with people that have passed a hunter safety certification that will be more than happy to help. Many of us will even literally come bearing gifts ,for the privilege of putting more money in the landowners pocket through decreased loses. Why do we call it a problem for a man to get a bottle of his favorite beverage, or maybe a gift certificate for his family to eat out, from the Hunter that is going to also put more money in his bank account?

The only thing that is complicated is having one … just one decision maker say NO.. No depredation permit until you utilize the state resources in sufficient volumes to control the problem YOU created.

Comment

Centerx you nailed it again! NO MORE DEPREDATION PERMITS unless access is allowed. Until those in power are replaced the same bad decisions will keep being made in the game and parks. Senators Erdman and Hughes are a driving force behind all this and James Douglas does nothing to stand up to them. Let's gets some common sense back in the game and parks. Like centerx stated, it's not complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by bunkerhunter View Post
                  I was not aware of that. Seems wrong to me but then I don't make the rulles.

So what are your thoughts on killing 1000 antlerless deer in Southwest NE (Senator Hughes District compares to the Frenchman unit) when we just finally got the mule deer back to a huntable number and it is a tough draw to get a permit.

Killing 1300 does in the MDCA seems counter intuitive.

Whats the point of having a MDCA and restricting tags if your just going to kill all the does?

That sounds more like a MDEA - mule deer elimination area

Peace and Love

Comment

• Ringneck4214
                    Ringneck4214 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MDEA...exactly what I was thinking

Has anyone contacted any of the local newspapers in the western part of the state or even the Omaha World Herald?

Comment

Could the elk be transplanted to a different area equally suited for their habitat needs with a more elk friendly landowner? Yes I know there would be a cost involved.

Comment

The idea of contacting newspapers is a very good idea. My guess is for what it’s worth, the western Nebraska newspapers would be sympathetic to the rancher. But you never know. Best bet would be eastern Lincoln Journal star and Omaha world Herald. Maybe even the Denver Post? As far as transplanting the elk, they would not do it Because of the cost. And they would say no guarantee they would stay where they were wanted which is correct.

Comment

Incase the upity-ups are ready this post. I would offer you a place to release problem or transplant deer/elk in Western Nebraska. Please give me advance notice as I need to get my rifle loaded. PM for more info.

Comment

Working...
                        X