Duck Success Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Success Thread

Tekamah area. I have hunted early Teal the last couple of week ends. Very limited success with few birds in area. I am not seeing many ducks of any in the air. We are close to the Missouri River.

any other reports for this area?

Patterns have really changed in Area over the last 45 years. Last year, zero Teal. Year before they were everywhere first week in October. Early Teal has always been just that...Early. Normally, Teal push thru the first couple of weeks in October. With all the Flooding in South Dakota and along the River, Iowa’s Regular Duck Season not starting until the 16 th of October....use to Open the Last Weekend in September... now they have a Teal Season too.. I think you will be hard pressed to see a good push of Birds until end of October. Then once they hit the Big Waterfowl Refuge called South Dakota.... it will all be up to Mother Nature.

Comment

I don't know about the Tekamah area, but there's been a lot of teal shot in the basins and sandhills. It takes some scouting this year because of the abundance of standing water, but it can and has been done a lot in the last week.

What kind of water are you hunting? Teal will prefer very shallow water, we're talking inches to a foot or two at most.

Comment

Here in central Nebraska, the Grand Island area, we have been seeing good numbers of teal. We have two different spots we hunt one is on the Platte and the other one has a 5 acre pond on it and is surrounded by crop land and also has a warm water slough running through it. As a result of the flooding this year we lost our blinds on the Platte and have not replaced them yet because of the continuing high water levels. Our other spot has been flooded all year also and because the slough has been over flowing over the access road to pond and into the adjacent corn and bean fields we have not been able to get to the pond as it is in the middle of the section. There were a lot of birds in the area starting about 4 days before the season opened using the flooded bean fields and an area of flooded grass in a waterway that runs through the corn field. The first two days we were covered up in birds and did real well by hunting the flooded grass and simply standing just inside the corn rows.. This past Saturday the numbers were down but we still managed to get 6 with some lack luster shooting. Yesterday we never fired a shot so after we picked up we ran down to the river and soon figured out that that is where we should have hunted. At 9:00 there were still multiple flocks working the river and several had 25+ birds in them, unusual from what we normally see down there by 9:00 they are typically done flying and you might as well pack up. So it looks like we will spend the last weekend on the Platte and see what happens.
        SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Comment

We're hunting South Central Nebraska with similar results to rbhunter. From the end of August up until last Thursday we were absolutely covered up with teal on public basins and flooded private fields. That mix of north winds, near-full moon, and colder night Thursday had most of the teal gone by Friday morning. We shot ducks Saturday, but it was slower yet. We didn't fire a shot yesterday. There are still some teal around, but 75% of the blue wings we had been seeing are gone now. We've only shot a few greenwings, so hopefully we see some of them start moving down to finish out this week. For now it's back to the drawing board to figure out where we'll find birds this week.

Comment

Anyone have any reports from up north like around Valentine? Going on a hunt the 2nd weekend in october and just seeing what is up there besides a lot of water. Looking at some weather models temperature wise looks like the first weekend is gonna be getting chill. The GIF that I am posting goes from Oct. 3rd to October 18. 00Z is 6pm and 12Z is 6 am. I will trying to keep this updated if that is ok with everyone?

Comment

I'm torn if I want a good cold front in early October or not. It's been so nice this month that there are hoards of local ducks in the sandhills I would presume. Get a cold front at the wrong time and it might push a lot out with not as many replacing them. Seen that before early in the month. However, it would be nice to hunt in some cooler weather. These 80s everyday are getting a little old. How about a low of 35 and a high in the low 60s on the opener with a nice breeze. Sounds like the perfect sandhills day!

Comment

Hunted in the basins on Friday, never took my gun off safe. Saw only two small groups of teal all morning. Guessing I was on the wrong side of the cold front that week. As far as the Sandhills, I know that first week they had a lot of teal around, however I haven't heard much since then.
                2014/15 Hunt Total: 141 Doves, 72 Ducks, 38 Canada Geese, 10 Snow Geese.

Comment

We also did not fire a shot on Saturday in the basins. With all the water, they must be hiding somewhere. I wouldnt think they just left the state.

Comment

We hunted the Rock & Brown Co. area opening weekend and had a 3 man limit on Saturday in a few hours. Sunday was a little tougher. Hit a couple different spots and ended up just a few short. Tons of wood ducks, saw a few groups of pintails, mallards, etc. I grew up in that area and there are 2-3 acre water holes where I have never seen water in the last 30 years. We couldn’t even get to a couple spots because roads were flooded. Are normal 20 x 20 yd teal hole was about 2 1/2 acres big and at least 4 ft deeper than the past.

Comment

Found the hidey hole that a lot of the pressured birds must've gone to. Saw probably a thousand this morning, decoyed zero. Shot a few passing by. Doesn't help I forgot the spinner wings...
                      Good numbers of pins, mallards and woodies too

Comment

Found them this morning, hunted alone, 6th bird was out of a flock of 200 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190921_105512_8794.jpeg
Views:	1274
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	1238445

Comment

Had a quick 2 man limit this morning. That wind really helped get the birds where we wanted them and they decoyed great. Still not really any more birds than there was last weekend though. We'll see if these north winds blew anything down in the morning I guess.

Comment

Hoping for a big push of ducks with the cooling weather before this weekend. Has anyone seen any positive changes in duck numbers recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff4mc View Post
                              Hoping for a big push of ducks with the cooling weather before this weekend. Has anyone seen any positive changes in duck numbers recently?
                              Ponds around GI and York were loaded last weekend. Have to scout tomorrow and Thursday to see what this front did.

Comment

Working...
                              X