The start of archery season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The start of archery season.

So i have been bow hunting for about 8 years. And I have always thought about this. Does anyone think the starting of bow on september 1st is to early? Would people like to see it start about the middle of the month or maybe the 1st of October? Hoping i am not opening a can of worms. I have not been out yet like many people its to hot, to many bugs and IMO its to early.

Why is it too early? Just because you dont like it? I'm still hoping to kill a velvet buck someday. Lots of dollars brought into our state by non-residents hoping for a velvet buck. Sept 1 is perfect

Comment

Only one more month and we can have the “Move gun season out of the rut” thread again too!

Comment

Start date was Sept 15th for a long time. I believe the date was moved to Sept 1st, to give people an opportunity to shoot a velvet buck, which I don’t particularly care about. That said, no one HAS to go out that early. Go when you want. The more options, the better.

Comment

20 years ago I would have been all over earlier starting dates. I would like to go this early but it’s not feasible for me. My spots are more conducive to evenings that would also require a long drag out if successful, plus the need to immediately process and get the game on ice is really more than want to deal with. Now if I had really good buck pattered and was fairly certain I would close the deal it’s nice to know I can make a move early. But as others have pointed out (and since been removed for some odd reason) just because the season starts early doesn’t mean you have to go, stay home if it’s not your thing, I do and it doesn’t bother anyone.

Comment

Don't care. I don't like to go until about Oct 1st. But if you want to go fine.

Comment

Many western states open their archery deer seasons in August. I think the September 1st is just fine, it gives those who are gung-ho the opportunity to harvest a velvet buck.

In your opinion, why is "it too early"? Is it science/conservation based or because you don't like hunting in the heat and bugs? (which I don't disagree with at all, mosquitoes need to go back to hell where they belong)

Comment

I think it was a great change. I liken it to duck hunting, some locations are better early season and some are better late season. I'm very fortunate that my property is annually an early season bachelor pad. It can definitely still produce during the rut, but for some reason the bucks stack up during August and September. I personally do not think the bugs are that bad, but typically I'm hunting areas on the edge of cover with more consistent wind patterns and also run a thermacell with a bug suit on. I generally dont get bit at all. If you can pattern a buck there is no better time of the year to kill a specific animal.

The early season also allows me adequate time to get out after work and sneak a few mid week hunts in. By the time its October, I'm not as likely to be able to get out of work and drive to a spot in time to get settled in in time. You really dont need to be in a stand until after 6pm this time of year.

I also really enjoy bird hunting and would prefer to be following my dogs by the time November comes around. As such, I value having an additional few weeks early in the season to deer hunt.

Comment

• nebgoosehunter
                  nebgoosehunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with everything you say!

It's too early for me, but to each his own. It seems like you lose some of the excitement when the season lasts for 3 months. I also don't enjoy hunting in the heat. There's something about the crisp fall air that makes it more enjoyable to me. I think some guys feel obligated to hunt just because they can. But, good luck to all you early birds. Chase some deer over my way.

Comment

Went out for the first time this season on Thursday night. With the cold front and wind, bugs were not a problem. Had a nice buck feeding on corn at about 30 yds, just on wrong side of the brush. Felt good to be out.

Comment

Working...
                  X