Duck Blinds and Teal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Blinds and Teal

So im pretty excited to start my second waterfowl season. everyone said if you tried it you would be hooked. Well, Im hooked. Anyway, i spent the summer building a nice portable blind made with reedgrass. All of the teal videos i see online the fellas are not using any blinds. Also, when i did some research onlinea lot of articles state for early season teal since the grass is still green you can get away with camo and setting down amongst the grasses. Im curious what the fellas on the forum here do. I certainly dont want to show up without my blind thinking that is cool and piss off a whole bunch of hunters since im on public land and i know there will be a bunch. However, i do like the idea of being a little more mobile this time of year. What do all of you waterfowlers think?

When I hunted public I never used a blind, just a marsh stool tucked back in the cat tails but that was 10 years ago and have been fortunate enough to lease a couple of pieces of property since then. On the river we have blinds so we use them but the guys that hunt the ground next to us will often just sit on chairs in the weeds and do just fine. This year the teal are thick on our lease that is not on the river so we will be hunting a low spot in the corn field that is flooded and the corn didn't grow in it because of the water so we are just going to stand a couple of rows in and hunt. I don't think anyone would be upset if you didn't use a blind as long as you are respectful in all of the other common sense things that go along with hunting public ground or elsewhere.
    SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Comment

All we've ever used were cut willows and some burlap on the Platte sandbars. When hunting marshes I always use whatever natural camo is available. Nothing too elaborate. Remember when hunting teal its not like other ducks where they'll swing and circle and circle and check out everything. They're little blue rockets, they'll give you a buzz by or maybe another and thats all you need for go-time!

Comment

Stick a marsh seat in and sit down, they aren’t the smartest bird. I prefer to stick a marsh seat in and then kneel behind it using the seat to rest my elbows and gun on while waiting, gets your profile much lower but it’s dependent on how deep the water is.
        They have cometh

Comment

I agree with everyone above....not a lot of hide needed for teal.

Comment

Just stand in cattails usually. Depending on where you hunt a blind might not be bad but if there's plenty of cover, it's probably not needed.

Comment

I've had them land in my decoys numerous times while I was standing among them in plain sight. The real challenge to teal hunting is dealing with other hunters, not hiding.

Comment

Many a time I limited by sitting in a few inches of water wearing camo with no other cover. Don't move until they're on you and they probably think you're a stump in the water.

Comment

Nope. No nlind.needed. me n my buddy got our two man limit by 10 am !

Comment

Working...
                  X