This Is A Sticky Thread
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019/2020 Deer Thread

I'll start this thing off by saying my hunt last night was over about as quickly as it began. I haven't had nearly as many deer as I have the past few years on my cameras over the summer. I had two potentially very nice ones early in the summer in late June and early July, but they disappeared and were never seen again. I've had a forky and some does all summer and a small 4x4 a couple weeks ago and that is it. Didn't know how this season was going to go but I still wanted to go see if I could get my eyes on anything else. Went out for an evening hunt and wanted to be set up by 5 or 5:15. It was still brutally hot and I got a little sweaty walking in but the wind was perfect. I was walking over some fallow ground that had a little bit of last years wheat residue still in the field. Got about 20 yards from the trees I wanted to sit in and heard a deer get up and bound away like mule deer typically do. Rushed up to the edge of the trees only to see a real nice and wide buck trotting away with a smaller buck. I must not have been going slow enough and that residue was a little crunchy but I thought my speed in was ok. They must have been bedded right about where I wanted to enter the tree rows. If they were down another 100 yards or more I probably would have been able to get in and sit and wait for them to feed. I still consider myself a novice bow hunter so it was a good learning experience and I'm glad to know there was a nice buck around. I'll give the spot a week and hopefully they get back in there as they didn't seem real spooked.

To hot, to many bugs, to many weeds, to early.

Comment

All of us have had things like that happen. They will be back

Comment

Give it a little time and they'll be back. Good luck!

Comment

Least you know the area has some possibilities! Good luck next time out!
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I struck on opening day. 7:30pm. Young 9 came into 20 yards. Shot felt good and he ran 30 yards before piling up. Had him on camera all summer long. Awesome start to the year. My best bow buck. Trying to figure out how to load a picture.

Comment

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
                Luv2Decoy commented
                Editing a comment
                Great shot placement

• Funky Phez
                Funky Phez commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats!

Congrats philtuts! Nice work

Comment

On the board for 2019

Comment

• Gartooth
                  Gartooth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the thermacell in the photo!

• Funky Phez
                  Funky Phez commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice deer, congrats!

Finally was able to get out again this morning. Saw several does while sneaking in but i eventually got to where I wanted to sit. I was there for no more than 10 minutes and I see the little forky that has been there all year in some plum brush 60-80 yards away from me. Just a couple minutes later I see a body moving through the brush coming my way. He steps out into the clear and I realize its a 4x4 with beautiful chocolate antlers, but he was a little small. He was staring in my direction, but every 60 seconds or so he would take a few steps and get closer. The more I looked at him, the more I was thinking about shooting him if he got close enough. My heart was pounding and I had my release on the d loop but I had yet to bring up my bow. Finally at 50 yards, he just turns around and heads back into the brush. The last few years I probably would not have shot that buck, but today he would have made me happy and that is all that matters. Oh yeah, I also had a trail camera stolen, so that put a damper on the hunt.

Comment

• Bus
                  Bus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  people suck. sorry man :/

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	1238934 lol Does this count, I think it the deer family.

Comment

• Lenny
                  Lenny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats!

• BChunter
                  BChunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alaska?? Awesome hunt!

Nice moose! A bucket list hunt of mine for sure!...someday

Comment

Originally posted by guf54 View Post
                  Nice moose! A bucket list hunt of mine for sure!...someday
                  A little advise,,, don’t wait till your old. If things work out I can get you one heck of a deal through my buddy up there. He guides for moose, bou, sheep, goat, and bear.

Comment

Along the lines of cougarw’s success. My Montana bull from a couple weeks ago
                    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                      X