Best public teal land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best public teal land?

I don’t get to hunt too often, as I have a pretty busy schedule. With the limited time that I have had, I managed to scout some land near me, and it doesn’t look too promising. A lot of the flooding has impacted my usual spots, making some un-huntable. I was wondering if there are any good public marshes or teal spots within a three hour drive of Omaha? I’ve checked the atlas, but it wasn’t very helpful in determining which area would give me the best chance.

Rainwater Basin

Comment

• Harold
      Harold commented
      Editing a comment
      BINGO!

Pick any marsh in the rainwater basins and you'll probably get on some teal this year, especially if its on a weekday.

Comment

Take the atlas, a tank of gas, and go check the properties. Water conditions vary every year and going to look is about the only way to find the water. Even with all the rain, you still have to find the water on the property as a lot of places have water in spots but the whole property isn’t covered with water.
      They have cometh

Comment

After opening morning, many of the public spots will have plenty of room (rainwater basin). My guess is that teal and later ducks will be fairly spread out this year though. There is a lot of standing water so ducks won't have to congregate on those well known marshes. I actually think this season may be a bit tougher than usual.

Comment

This season will be great because of all the water. Standing water in fields is awesome, keeps birds in the area for more than a day

Comment

Latest water conditions just posted on the Nebraska Game and Parks website. http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-conten...st-28-2019.pdf
            But as mentioned above scouting is still needed.
            These ratings take into account water and some habitat aspects such as vegetation. Whether or not the area holds birds, has cover to hide in, etc. is not part of it. I've had great hunts on "Poor" water areas and duds on "Excellent" ones. This year the extra water has even impacted roads into and around some properties. Besides, its just fun to get out and see what is happening in our wetlands right now...gives the heart hope and adds to the anticipation, too.

Happy, safe hunting.

hershy, NGPC
            Aaron "hershy" Hershberger
            Nebraska Game and Parks
            Outdoor Education

Comment

I scouted for a couple hours last night. We have a ton of birds here already. They were flying by 6pm last night circling the marshes. I hope they hold here for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by WyoHunter View Post
                I scouted for a couple hours last night. We have a ton of birds here already. They were flying by 6pm last night circling the marshes. I hope they hold here for a while!
                They're taunting me every day I go to work. Just sitting on a wetland right by the road.

Comment

Scouting again last night... stupid the number of birds here right now. Saturday morning should be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Huskermut
                    Huskermut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same. Come on Saturday!

Personally I'm not a fan of internet scouting because I know how much work goes into scouting and planning a successful hunt. That being said, I'm planning to hunt later this week (weekday) and I won't have time to scout before I go out. I'll have to rely on old hunt logs and previous experience to try and end of in a decent place, wet year definitely helps. However, if anyone wants to chat and you might have some intel in the area I plan to hunt, I'd be happy to do some additional scouting for you that day and try to return the favor. If no takers, that's fine I get it- just offering to help out. Good luck everyone!
                  2014/15 Hunt Total: 141 Doves, 72 Ducks, 38 Canada Geese, 10 Snow Geese.

Comment

Originally posted by Shlick2288 View Post
                    Personally I'm not a fan of internet scouting because I know how much work goes into scouting and planning a successful hunt. That being said, I'm planning to hunt later this week (weekday) and I won't have time to scout before I go out. I'll have to rely on old hunt logs and previous experience to try and end of in a decent place, wet year definitely helps. However, if anyone wants to chat and you might have some intel in the area I plan to hunt, I'd be happy to do some additional scouting for you that day and try to return the favor. If no takers, that's fine I get it- just offering to help out. Good luck everyone!
                    Where are you planning to hunt? Hard to provide any answers for you without that info.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoHunter View Post

Where are you planning to hunt? Hard to provide any answers for you without that info.
                      I'm coming from the Omaha area so I'll be hunting the eastern side of the basins.
                      2014/15 Hunt Total: 141 Doves, 72 Ducks, 38 Canada Geese, 10 Snow Geese.

Comment

Don't be afraid of hunting an evening. Go out and scout in the morning instead of hunting, the trucks and gunshots are dead giveaways to the good spots If the shooting is good you can wait until someone pulls out and jump in for a mid-morning hunt, or scout all morning and go out for an evening hunt.

It's a strategy that could burn the whole day, but if I had only one day to hunt coming in cold, I'd rather have an evening hunt somewhere I knew birds were using than walk into an unknown spot in the morning.

Comment

I haven't seen any basin with open water this year that didn't hold birds. The challenge is the abundance of extra plant growth has hidden a lot of the standing water. In places where cattle were grazed, it's easy to find the right water. Some marshes that weren't just look like grassy fields this year. Find visible water and you will probably have teal on you at first light.

Comment

Working...
                          X