Antelope hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antelope hunt

Im sure this has been asked and answered many times but I’m looking for any tips to help on my archery antelope hunt. It’s my first antelope hunt and I’ll be going to the Oglala grassland with a group of guys the 3rd week of September. Any pointers from seasoned veterans?

muzzle loader is that week

Comment

Im heading up there the 3rd weekend of september as well. Never been there before But I have a muzzeloader tag for the area.

Comment

Decoy, set up a blind on waterholes/livestock tanks, stay allllllllll day long and bring food and plenty of water. Pronghorn rut can be like a hot whitetail rut sometimes, action all day or nothing at all. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome by the way and please don’t let this be your only post. I ve been told I don’t speak for everyone on this forum in the past but I would very much like to hear how your trip goes, even if nobody else cares, I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
            Decoy, set up a blind on waterholes/livestock tanks, stay allllllllll day long and bring food and plenty of water. Pronghorn rut can be like a hot whitetail rut sometimes, action all day or nothing at all. Good luck!
            Decoying on public land during muzzleloader season requires a good bit of caution. I'm not saying it can't be done but you do need to think about other folks trying to make a sneak on your decoy.

Comment

I’ll be there for archery sept 18-23rd so I’ll have a few days before muzzleloader opens. I think it opens on the 21st this year. I’d love to be tagged out by then but I’m also realistic being a first time antelope archery hunt. Your right about decoys during muzzleloader, that’s a risk I don’t think I wanna take. There’s a lot or great and safe hunters, but there’s also always that one guy who you gotta watch out for.

Comment

Originally posted by matt s View Post

Decoying on public land during muzzleloader season requires a good bit of caution. I'm not saying it can't be done but you do need to think about other folks trying to make a sneak on your decoy.
                Not stalking behind one! Set it up on a waterhole to draw in a rival buck. The ground blind 25-30 yards from the decoy should ne the dead giveaway not try a stalk!

Comment

1. Find bucks in stalkable situations, don’t waste time stalking animals that are going to be impossible to get close enough to.

2. Watch which direction the big bucks are pushing the does and try to get ahead of the herd. Antelope move like a herd of cats so this is tough, but worth it if you can find a place they cross under a fence, or if they end up in better stalking terrain.

3. Don’t get tunnel vision, I’ve messed up more stalks by being too focused on 1 animal or a group in front of me and walk right into another group only to blow them all out.

4. Figure out how to make antelope sounds. They make a funny nasally sound. They are curious creatures and sometimes that will make them take another step or come a little closer.

I’m by no means an expert, but I have screwed up enough to learn a few lessons.

Comment

I appreciate everyone’s insight in this. I’m hoping to find a frequently used fence crossing or even a water hole with lots of fresh tracks to set up on. I’m going bring my blind just in case I can find a spot like this. I’m not asking for anyone’s secret spots but any have suggestion for an area to check out when I get up there? I’ll be staying at ft. Robinson and plan on hunting the Oglala grasslands all week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter130 View Post
                      I appreciate everyone’s insight in this. I’m hoping to find a frequently used fence crossing or even a water hole with lots of fresh tracks to set up on. I’m going bring my blind just in case I can find a spot like this. I’m not asking for anyone’s secret spots but any have suggestion for an area to check out when I get up there? I’ll be staying at ft. Robinson and plan on hunting the Oglala grasslands all week.
                      Don't be afraid to check out sites other than the federal stuff. There are a couple nice Open Fields and Waters (orange sites in atlas, private land that the landowners have contracted to open to public hunting). Out of all species out there pronghorn is likely the easiest to get permission on private ground as well. This year there are water holes all over the place so you won't have the advantage of having them all concentrating into the only drinking spot around but you may find some that get heavier use than others.

Comment

You’ll find that as with anything experience and time is the best teacher. Just be open to everyone’s advice and look for ways to use it. Even if you don’t tag one this year I guarantee you will be hooked after either the first stalk of the the first time one comes to a waterhole you are set up on. Get after it at report back, we want you to succeed!

Comment

A guy I know told me to be ready for lots of pressure up there in the Oglala grasslands this time of year. Fir those that have hinted that area in September, what are your thoughts on this?

Comment

A guy I know told me to be ready for lots of pressure up there in the Oglala grasslands this time of year. Fir those that have hinted that area in September, what are your thoughts on this?
                            I personally haven't been up in that area for a while, but with all the new guys that show up to the Forum asking about mule deer hunting both archery and Firearm out in that general area, and even antelope hunting, I sure would expect to see a higher number of people then we used to normally get. With the advertising that The Game and Parks has done concerning the availability of over-the-counter permits for archery, not just for Antelope but both whitetails and mule deer, be prepared to see other people. that's the nature of public land no matter where you go. That area has always been a popular spot to go to and it is just gotten more so the last few years. Try to use some of that pressure to your advantage. And try to hit up some ranchers for permission. If they don't Grant permission for this season at least ask them if they would be open to getting back with them for next year should you decide to come back. You just never know.

Comment

Working...
                            X