Dove Hunters.... won't be long now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove Hunters.... won't be long now

I got up before dawn just like always and after some scanning of the webb checking my favorite "anything outdoors sites and the outdoors section in the Sunday papers" I got in my truck to take a drive thru my hunting and trapping areas. I came upon one stretch that is always good for doves. But today ……. well all I can say is WOW!!! There is a wheat stubble field north of the road and a very dense area (acres of it) of wild hemp just west of it along a small creek. The sky full of doves looked like bee swarms had converged above the wheat stubble and the gravel road was moving as I got closer. The doves were on the road getting grit, between the sky and the road it was truly the most doves I have ever seen in a bunch. Thousands !! Looked like a scene off of TV when their hunting them in Argentina. I have been walking field edges along the timbers and driving the backroads at early light and evenings. Deer are everywhere, although the bucks are missing.... nocturnal creatures. Raccoons and most furbearers have a high number in the population dept, judging from tracks and sightings. Pheasants sightings are far and few in between, quite a few quail are seen. The Turkeys seem to have suffered a small hatch rate, probably due to the wet hatch season. Hunting season is just around the corner....I am getting a few stands cleaned up and checking the areas for high fur numbers, if I trap .... depends on the rain and mud. Lots to do outdoors …. if you want to get out there !!

Thanks for the report

Comment

And on August 31st well wel a cold front and they will all be gone.

Comment

• Done
        Done commented
        Editing a comment
        🥶🤣

Had my 10 year old out shooting trap this weekend. I have never looked forward to a dove season more. We have high numbers here as well so should be plenty of shooting going on.

Comment

Here is a quote from our local weather service forecast discussion this morning. Just like clockwork almost every year. Out go the doves, in come the teal.

"Extended forecast then becomes uncertain into the last week of August as some models are hinting towards the first polar cold front of late summer moving southward out of Canada and into the northern Great Plains. ...but this feature is still 8 to 10 days out."

Comment

Not to disappoint the dove hunters, but talked to my dad who lives in the Sandhills and he said there are tons of teal around. Hopefully it’s a dove, duck & grouse bonanza on Sunday!

Comment

• WyoHunter
            WyoHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Teal season opens September 7th...

Hey spooled, we have a pond on one of the family farms (my dad's side.... been in the family for over 120 years) and it has a pond with several acres of grass and trees around it. There were 2 pair of blue winged teal that nested there this year. A first. I saw the hens several times on the water with their clutch. Both had about 10 -12 duckling with them. Just a few days ago I saw 1 group. The ducklings looked like an adult. Don't know much about ducks but my PC helped me figure out what they were this summer. Blue winged teal for sure!

Comment

• Spooled
            Spooled commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome, good luck this yr

Originally posted by Spooled View Post
          Not to disappoint the dove hunters, but talked to my dad who lives in the Sandhills and he said there are tons of teal around. Hopefully it’s a dove, duck & grouse bonanza on Sunday!
          Unfortunately teal season is pushed back a week this year.

Comment

Thanks guys. I hadn’t checked the dates yet, just assumed it was the first weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by nebgoosehunter View Post
              Here is a quote from our local weather service forecast discussion this morning. Just like clockwork almost every year. Out go the doves, in come the teal.

"Extended forecast then becomes uncertain into the last week of August as some models are hinting towards the first polar cold front of late summer moving southward out of Canada and into the northern Great Plains. ...but this feature is still 8 to 10 days out."
              Ding Ding Ding!

Comment

Saturday, Aug. 31st forecast rain with highs of 70 and low of 56

Sunday might be disappointing

Comment

• Alex T.
                  Alex T. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ll take my chances.

Mid 40's tonight. Was low 50's this morning and breezy north wind. They outta here....only to be replaced hopefully.

Comment

• Huskermut
                  Huskermut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. Saw less today.

Saw a bunch today

Comment

I have seen fewer dove but still a chunk of em. Nothing will keep me from going out sunday! Im hoping they post where sunflowers were planted like they have years past. I already know where im going but would like to see what wmas have sunflowers.

Comment

Doves are really piling up on the SW side of the metro. Sitting on the wires in big bunches. If we don't lose them to this next front could be good Sun.

Comment

Working...
                    X