2019 NC boys heading west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 NC boys heading west

Well boys and girls just paid for my tag and habitat stamp. My friend and I are heading out y'all's way in September. I can't wait. Thank you all for the info and help.

I'm gonna try to document as much of the hunting experience as I can. (I'm not much of a writer so bear with me).

We planned on hunting mule deer in NW Nebraska at first. But when speaking to a few people and some research the SW is much more in tune with what we're looking for.

Bought a bow in March ( I will introduce later)
    Developed a bad case of Target panic. I started shooting with a hinge release and I'm getting over it. A work in progress.

My friend and I have been using on x mapping. I think that might be the most important tool we have.

Just a little something to read.
    Signing off for now from nc.

Today my shooting was just ok. 38 yards on broadhead shot cold. I'm happy with that. The groups were 50ish yard. No range finder my batteries died.

I'm trying to shoot with the hinge set got some days and cold sometimes. So I don't anticipate the shot.

My bow
    Athen ridge 34 kuiu Verde
    57lbs
    Hamske drop away
    636 grain victory arrows
    Vpa 3 blade 200 grain broadhead
    Truball bt 4 finger release

Comment

Comment

Has it been dry out in Western Nebraska?

Comment

The whole state has been pretty wet this year!

Comment

Are you guys looking for whitetail or mule deer?

Comment

Originally posted by marshmadness View Post
              The whole state has been pretty wet this year!
              I think the rain scares me the most. We will be driving a Ford fusion. I am hoping my two feet drive will get me through.

Comment

Originally posted by fish2 View Post
                Are you guys looking for whitetail or mule deer?
                Mule deer first but I will not pass on whitetail that makes me happy.

Comment

Your coming out to hunt in September? You might want to bring some warm season clothes and a thermocell if your going to hunt anywhere around water. Also watch for rattlesnakes. Your Ford fusion is fine but expect to put more miles on your boot leather than you little car.

Comment

Originally posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
                    Your coming out to hunt in September? You might want to bring some warm season clothes and a thermocell if your going to hunt anywhere around water. Also watch for rattlesnakes. Your Ford fusion is fine but expect to put more miles on your boot leather than you little car.

Yes September. I kinda like hunting warm weather. Except I hate snakes. Thanks for Thermo cell advice I can't hunt here in NC without it until late oct. Hiking some and running everyday. I did already make a mistake and bought my tags on my phone with no printer. So ne game and fish got me for another 8$😬

Comment

Good idea getting in shape but one thing you can't train for is the elevation difference coming from NC. NW Nebraska would have been about 4-5k ft. elevation but SW NE will still be 3-4k ft. elevation. Unless you're coming from the Appalachians, you'll probably notice it a bit once your hiking. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by nebgoosehunter View Post
                        Good idea getting in shape but one thing you can't train for is the elevation difference coming from NC. NW Nebraska would have been about 4-5k ft. elevation but SW NE will still be 3-4k ft. elevation. Unless you're coming from the Appalachians, you'll probably notice it a bit once your hiking. Good luck!
                        Thanks boss. Yes we are coming from the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricanepeppers View Post
                          Today my shooting was just ok. 38 yards on broadhead shot cold. I'm happy with that. The groups were 50ish yard. No range finder my batteries died.

I'm trying to shoot with the hinge set got some days and cold sometimes. So I don't anticipate the shot.

My bow
                          Athen ridge 34 kuiu Verde
                          57lbs
                          Hamske drop away
                          636 grain victory arrows
                          Vpa 3 blade 200 grain broadhead
                          Truball bt 4 finger release
                          Just out of curiosity, why are you shooting such a heavyweight arrow? If your hunting mule deer, I would recommend reevaluating your arrow setup and going a bit lighter, but maybe you have a good reason for the weight? That's a HEAVY arrow, even in the elk hunting game. Southwest Nebraska is a great area to hunt, hope you have a great hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by fishcatcher View Post

Just out of curiosity, why are you shooting such a heavyweight arrow? If your hunting mule deer, I would recommend reevaluating your arrow setup and going a bit lighter, but maybe you have a good reason for the weight? That's a HEAVY arrow, even in the elk hunting game. Southwest Nebraska is a great area to hunt, hope you have a great hunt!
                            I like the way it flies. I can take my one setup from FL to Maine. NC to Alaska. It is super quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricanepeppers View Post

I like the way it flies. I can take my one setup from FL to Maine. NC to Alaska. It is super quiet.
                              Right on, hope you have an enjoyable hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X