Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coonhounds for raccoons

Thinking about getting into this,
    Anybody want to chime in about experiences with running dogs on public/private land for raccoons? I have a redbone coonhound reserved and would like to start trying to rack up some fur and get out in the woods more.

I ran redbones for 40 years, and got out of about 6 years ago. Its a ton of fun and getting permission to hunt isn't an issue.

I owed National Gr Nite Ch Gr Ch Roberts' Tree Rock'n Bo Knows. Feel to ask questions.

Comment

Any literature you would recommend to start reading on training a coonhound?

You say permission isn't an issue, is that generally because raccoons are viewed as pests?

What kept you into redbones and hunting for so long?

Will they chase rabbits or squirrels also?

What time of the year is this normally done? Assuming later in the winter when they have the best fur.

Have you ever tried eating raccoon?

Did you use GPS collars?

Also have you hunted on Public land ever? Particularly WMA's in state recreation areas.

EDIT: Do you know of any reputable breeders that are closer to the NE area? Seems like the majority of breeders are 6ish hours away (South MO)

Thanks!

Comment

Guys have quit because of the horrible prices. GPS is a must in my opinion

Comment

I had a black and tan that was perfect for public lands in Eastern Nebraska. He wouldn't go through fences and liked to have his people close so stopped and waited for us.
          ​​Perfect for an area with multiple land owners per mile of creek.
          Public lands are also trapped so know how to release your dog from a foot hold.

Comment

I ran coon dogs a long time ago. Most fun I ever had. Ran several dogs as coyote trail hounds also. I had a couple great dogs and a few not so great over the years. I loved my dogs..... and cussed them too.... sometimes in the same breath. There was many a nite when I was dead tired and it was 3 in the morning and I had to go to work at 7 am..... but there I was looking for the last dog who wanted to stay out and hunt. I seen many dogs who's owner swore would never run deer, but somehow they always wound up chasing something into the next county. I seen many a dogs fight badger, coon, had coyotes nipping at the dogs at nite. WE had to dig dogs out of brush piles, old houses and bales in the barns, hugh holes in the creek bank and seen a few dogs half bred with monkeys pretty high up in a tree. I loved hunting at nite, could never count all the falling stars and meteriotes, space junk falling, northern lites were a big bonus. Also a few UFOs, don't really know what the lites were, nothing normal. I had 8 or 10 dogs (never hunted only a couple at a time) at once for a few years. Get a good lite and a good pair of boots. Expect to have a few coats covered with weed stickers. We ran dogs most all year cept we didn't like to do it too much in the summer cause the heat and bugs and baby coon on the ground. I never had a purebred, but I sure had a few good dogs. It's been over 35 years and I still can hear old Babe and Ranger bawling down in the creek bottoms sometimes when I am out predator calling at nite. And as my mind drifts off to great memories I can still feel my son's tug on my pants, when he was 5 years old (40 now), saying "come on Dad, lets go get that coon the dogs have up a tree!!!! " Now a days sometimes when I out in the dark in the timber, I'll sit on an old log and watch the full moon raise up thru the trees , thinking about past years, many years ago. Kinda brings a tear to my eye. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NebrCatMan View Post
              I ran coon dogs a long time ago. Most fun I ever had. Ran several dogs as coyote trail hounds also. I had a couple great dogs and a few not so great over the years. I loved my dogs..... and cussed them too.... sometimes in the same breath. There was many a nite when I was dead tired and it was 3 in the morning and I had to go to work at 7 am..... but there I was looking for the last dog who wanted to stay out and hunt. I seen many dogs who's owner swore would never run deer, but somehow they always wound up chasing something into the next county. I seen many a dogs fight badger, coon, had coyotes nipping at the dogs at nite. WE had to dig dogs out of brush piles, old houses and bales in the barns, hugh holes in the creek bank and seen a few dogs half bred with monkeys pretty high up in a tree. I loved hunting at nite, could never count all the falling stars and meteriotes, space junk falling, northern lites were a big bonus. Also a few UFOs, don't really know what the lites were, nothing normal. I had 8 or 10 dogs (never hunted only a couple at a time) at once for a few years. Get a good lite and a good pair of boots. Expect to have a few coats covered with weed stickers. We ran dogs most all year cept we didn't like to do it too much in the summer cause the heat and bugs and baby coon on the ground. I never had a purebred, but I sure had a few good dogs. It's been over 35 years and I still can hear old Babe and Ranger bawling down in the creek bottoms sometimes when I am out predator calling at nite. And as my mind drifts off to great memories I can still feel my son's tug on my pants, when he was 5 years old (40 now), saying "come on Dad, lets go get that coon the dogs have up a tree!!!! " Now a days sometimes when I out in the dark in the timber, I'll sit on an old log and watch the full moon raise up thru the trees , thinking about past years, many years ago. Kinda brings a tear to my eye. Good luck!
              That's an awesome story
              Thanks for sharing. Memories are the best.

Comment

Had walkers for a number of years, it’s the “ let’s tree one more” attitude that makes the next day at work rough

Comment

Working...
                X