No announcement yet.

National forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are times I hunt deer with my 3 brothers, a nephew and a cousin all on less than 20 acres in Western NY. LOL.

Comment

I have 3 people rifle hunting about 50 to 60 acres of trees. Communicate and know where people are and it is very safe. I agree with the above, figure out where he is driving and either set up somewhere he isnt bothering or use him to move the deer to you. Good luck

Comment

Thanks bus. Pretty excited about hunting a new part of the state. Bear baiting here in WI is in full swing. It's going to be exciting year around.

Comment

I have 4 people, including myself, on an area of about 40 acres. We communicate where we are all at and never go out wandering around. In the last decade, we have harvested a lot of deer and some very nice deer. Habitat is more valuable than size and we are in a nice, wooded, river bottom area that is a travel zone between bedding and food. Sit and wait and you will have lots of good deer come, which is exactly what we do.

Comment

Deer densities play a huge factor on how many guys can be stacked on X number of acres. From the sounds of the original post I doubt he’s gonna be “overrun” with mule deer. So I can definitely understand his concern about too many people. However you often don’t know until you actually go!

Comment

Much flatter than the sand hills that I'm used to. A 4 wheeler running down the middle cant be a good thing. Even though I'm paying to hunt there, I cant say anything and be THAT GUY

Comment

I'm familiar with the country. Your concerns are very valid. That country isn't like wooded river bottom that other are mentioning. I would consider it a necessity to either coordinate with the ranch hand or agree to split the season. Possibly approach it from a safety standpoint. I would also spend some time on google earth trying to figure out what neighbors are likely to do so you can avoid conflict on the borders and possibly benefit from their pressure. Good luck to you and please let us know how the hunt goes.

Comment

Thanks, and I will post how things went

Comment

Sit, glass, glass, glass. Deer can hide in that short grass like you can’t believe. Bucks will use it. Glass neighboring property to see what’s coming. Oh, and did I mention glassing?

Comment

Hey everyone, I put this post up a whole back about a concern about a new piece of property I'll be hunting. My wife spoke to the land owner yesterday, and they are excited to see us again. Maybe because we have a case of wine and tons of cheese for them. Lol. But this is what hunting is all about. Making friends, and the hunting is second. She said they have seen a few deer running through the fields. Just wondering if this is shaping up to be a normal rut this year.? Thanks everyone

Comment

there is never a normal rut in Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchback69 View Post
                          She said they have seen a few deer running through the fields. Just wondering if this is shaping up to be a normal rut this year.? Thanks everyone
                          Rut is determined by photo period, so roughly the same time every year. How much activity you will actually see will be determined by a variety of factors such as weather

Comment

Referring to the 9 day rifle season I haven’t seen a “normal rut”ever 😜 32 years, 13 on the same property, and not one year has been the same. Last year was primarily freezing cold and windy and none of us even saw a buck during hunting 6 of the 9 days . 2017 was almost perfect for weather, and everyone tagged out early. Go back 10 years and I was climbing a stand at 6 am wearing uninsulated bibs and a long sleeve shirt, think it hit 80* that day. 2008 a thunderstorm rolled through first thing in the morning.

Now this is base on my area, my experience and local pressure and overall conditions. Not saying this is to be expected or a statewide occurrence.
                            The way Nebraska sets their firearm season dates means you’re either goin to hit the end of the chase phase moving into the lockdown (Nov 4-14). Some years Opening day can be as early as the 10th like last year or as late as the 16th this season. You’re going to get them coming out of the lockdown and actively seeking again (Nov 15-25.) I’ve found they are usually locked down Nov 13-20.

This is based on bow and rifle hunting most of November and having 10-15 trail cameras out. Again my observation only for Whitetails in my area and should not be taken as a blanket statement for the entire state.

Comment

Working...
                            X