National forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National forest

Hi everyone, wondering if I could get a little help. My wife, son and myself have been traveling the past 8 years from WI to hunt the Valentine Refuge . I met a nice lady last year that was willing to let us hunt her ranch outside of hay springs. So this past weekend we drove out to meet her and to look around. I found out that the hired hand, and his wife also hunt the property. At 2200 acres this seems cramped. So I'm looking for a back up plan, just in case. The closest public is the national forest. Would that ground be like hunting the refuge. I mean as far as pressure goes. Thanks everyone.

🤔🤔 unless ur paying a heck of a lease, I'd say ur lucky with what you found. Think that 2200 acres is cramped try public for a year.....

Comment

I understand completely. Not complaining, just like to be prepared.

Comment

5 people on 2200 acres is cramped?! Sounds like a nice problem to have during gun season in Nebraska. Don’t expect much sympathy.

Comment

I am assuming you are deer hunting. I have never hunted the refuge or the national forest, but I would bet that the pressure would be pretty similar for each. I would take the advice given and hunt the private. I think you would have a much more enjoyable experience. I am fortunate and have some private land to hunt on. I have hunted both public and private and have taken some nice deer on both, but generally have a more enjoyable hunt on private. I don't have to park in a parking lot and wonder if someone will break into my vehicle. I don't have someone come along and walk right under my stand and say I have just as much right to be here as you. I have a friendship with the landowners and if I ever got stuck or in trouble out there I know they would come and help me.

Comment

Thanks Rick. That's what I am planning on. The hired hand said he likes to drive his 4 wheeler for windmill to windmill looking for deer. That bothers me a bit. But we'll see.

Comment

Find yourself a look out point and let him run the deer around.

Comment

Something to consider. The hired hand maybe only able to hunt the weekends. Or at least certain days. Which gives you the place to yourself at some point.

Comment

That is true elkstalkr. Thanks

Comment

I wish I had 2200 acres for 5 people to hunt. That type of acreage is very hard to come by on the east coast

Comment

Originally posted by NYONION View Post
                      I wish I had 2200 acres for 5 people to hunt. That type of acreage is very hard to come by on the east coast
                      Unlike New York, 2200 acres in the area he is talking about can dang near be all viewed from one good high vantage point. If not one point, certainly two points would do it! LOL

In other words, 2200 acres in western Nebraska is amazingly small when your talking open prairie. But yea.....most guys would love to even have that to "share" as access is getting harder by the day to get. So I understand what your saying.

Comment

That's exactly the issue. Wasn't expecting it to be so flat till we got there. It's all good. Well sit and see how it goes.

Comment

I’d say go for it. And I would work it out with the hired man to either strategize when he goes to check windmills and hunt/scout to plan your hunt accordingly. Let him push the deer your way. Or agree on hunting at different times and days. 2200 acres is still a lot of ground. Sounds like a great set up to me if the hired man and his wife are willing to work with you and you guys could team up. Might make some great friends and start a tradition.

Comment

Having hunted the Sandhills for years, yes 2200 acres may seem small. Just remember deer are not confined by land borders. During the rut, deer will cover many miles and will not be concerned by whose name is listed as an owner on the plat map. The deer will be being pushed around by hunters on near by ranches and looking for refuge. Good luck and enjoy one of the greatest places on earth to hunt!!

Comment

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X