Pine ridge hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pine ridge hunting

Hey there I am planning a hunt to pine ridge this year. We have a nice spot picked out a long ways from people just wondering on how deer population looks in the area? What's the whitetail to mule deer ratio?

http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i...de-2019-web/0?

Comment

Ive been thru it front and back looking for more personal experience

Comment

Im sorry, but youll never get an accurate account of hunting anywhere on a forum as small as this and with so few respondents. Pick a spot or spots and then get after it. That is the only way to gauge an area. Use your hunting and scouting skills, not relying on suspect advice here on an internet forum.

How did any of you get along in the pre internet age?

Comment

I go out there just about every year.

I'd say usually I see one whitetail for every 20 mule deer. Last fall seemed like I saw way more mule deer doe than previously. We only saw 3 whitetail doe, no bucks. This year I believe no Mule deer can be hunted. I'm debating if I should go this year. Much lower chance of getting a nice buck, but I'm assuming far fewer people.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSpool View Post
            I go out there just about every year.

I'd say usually I see one whitetail for every 20 mule deer. Last fall seemed like I saw way more mule deer doe than previously. We only saw 3 whitetail doe, no bucks. This year I believe no Mule deer can be hunted. I'm debating if I should go this year. Much lower chance of getting a nice buck, but I'm assuming far fewer people.
            This part is not true. Pine Ridge AD2 permits were reduced by 25% but not eliminated. The reduced AD2 corresponded with an increase in the Any Whitetail permits for the Pine Ridge. The reduction was in response to the massive winter storms that hit preceding the finalization of our permits and some related losses detected by a research project. Whether the population took a big hit remains to be seen, currently, it doesn't appear so.

WT vs MD #s in the Pine Ridge DMU vary by where you are. If you're in WT habitat along the White River or other riparian area, you'll see WT. If you're out on the prairie, you're more likely to see MD. If you're in the Ridge, you can see both. Just a matter of the habitat you're in and what part of the Ridge your in. Best way to know is to get on the ground and scout.
            Luke Meduna | Big Game Program Manager
            Nebraska Game and Parks Commission

Comment

I understand having to get out there and scout. I also appreciate any advice that any one has so it never hurts to ask. Will be going out with my spotting scope to see what I can see I am going out with crossbow this year.

Comment

So your saying no mule deer? Buck or doe?

Comment

Originally posted by Switchback69 View Post
                  So your saying no mule deer? Buck or doe?
                  AD2 permit is an "any deer" permit with a MD doe restriction. You can shoot a MD buck or any WT on that permit.

Pages 22-25 http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i...guide-2019-web

Comment

I understand they reduced the mule deer buck permits in pine ridge area. In the mule deer protection zone? I don't see what this is specifically.

For rifle season;

With a youth permit can my son can take a mule deer buck in the mule deer protection zone? Still no mule deer doe?

According to the guide it looks like a youth tag can be used for a mule deer doe in pine ridge area.

Comment

I understand they reduced the mule deer buck permits in pine ridge area. In the mule deer protection zone? I don't see what this is specifically.

For rifle season;

With a youth permit can my son can take a mule deer buck in the mule deer protection zone? Still no mule deer doe?

According to the guide it looks like a youth tag can be used for a mule deer doe in pine ridge area.
                      I assume you're referring to the Mule Deer Conservation Area? See page 16-17 and the map on 18 of the guide for details. The MDCA applies to the Frenchman, Platte, Buffalo and Republican units.

A resident statewide youth permit is good for any deer, mule deer or whitetail, buck or doe, EXCEPT that it is not valid for antlerless mule deer in the Pine Ridge unit or on Crescent Lake NWR. The Bag Limit and Permit Rules columns on pages 22-25 spell those details out for each permit.

Comment

Still a little in clear to me

Comment

• rweye
                          rweye commented
                          Editing a comment
                          read permit rules column

Also

Comment

They reduced the number of tags that allowed you to take a mule deer buck and made them whitetail only tags.
                          "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

Still a little in clear to me
                            It'd be easier over the phone, call me at my desk at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I'm not sure what's unclear, can you explain your question a little better? You've touched on several different topics. Quotas, bag limits and permit rules are spelled out in the tables on pages 22-25. Page 12-13 is a basic description of each permit. MDCA description is on 16-17.
                            Last edited by Forum Moderators; 08-01-2019, 07:28 AM. Reason: Phone number not allowed

Comment

Working...
                            X