Pine ridge???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pine ridge???

I am suppose to be meeting my nephew in The pine ridge area second weekend in may. He is active duty army stationed at fort Carson Colorado. I am Leland from Elwood,IN. We are only going to have the weekend to hunt but he has always wanted to chase a merriam. We have hunted plenty of eastern and know what we are doing with them. Question is this do you think it is possible to hunt a merriam in 2 days possibly 2 birds. If I were in Indiana I would say yes but we dont have every Tom ☠☠☠☠ and harry coming here to hunt our birds. If there is another area area you would think maybe better looking for advice
    If there are any local guys that would want to hunt with us or even show us around the more the merrier. I am going to be leaving a day or two early to scout. Basically I am looking for any advice that might help. We are both in good enough shape to hike anywhere we need to go. Thanks for your time and good luck with whatever you endeavor to do.

Good luck be sure to update us after your trip!

Comment

It wont be easy but you can get lucky and do it. Get a open fields and waters atlas and go from there. There is some good trout fishing that is probably more of a sure thing. Tell us how you do 99% of the nonresidents asking for help disappear after seeking help.

Comment

If I was an out of state Hunter coming here I wouldn't even bother with two days. (Edit: unless I already had come here before and knew exactly where I could go and be guaranteed to get on birds.) Make it at least five to seven even if you did have a quick scouting trip. And with permits costing as much as they do for non-residents, oh boy.

go to the game and parks website download the atlases and maps and use Google Maps for your aerial scouting.

Comment

Meet him on Ft. Carson and hunt there. If it is same as when I was stationed there both merriam and rios are present. After you get a pass to hunt downrange I'd start off over on the west side near hwy 115 and work the little fountain creek drainage. If that doesn't work head to Turkey creek east of booth mountain.

Comment

I will tell you, if you are a good turkey hunter, ABSOLUTELY you can do it in two days.

Comment

Public land? Two days going blind on spots you've never hunted? With the amount of non-resident turkey hunting traffic this state sees now?

Its possible, but I wouldn't look forward to shooting two birds in two days. If you want an excuse to get out and see the scenery with gun in hand absolutely, but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up. Just my two cents.

Comment

Don't know for sure if you would get a bird or two or not. But I do know for sure if you sit at home and don't go you won't get any bird or learn anything about a new area you've never hunted before. Sometimes you gotta pay your dues and just go and sometimes you get lucky and the first stand is the stand that worked.

Comment

I will be scouting before he comes out to hunt. The 2 days is just all the army can afford to give him at the moment. We are lucky for that he was suppose to be in Afghanistan for Turkey season but got postponed which is why we arent hunting Colorado. We missed the draw and the tags and all the extras are gone. Pretty much got the same story as home walk a long way in and be patient which is what we usually do anyway. Merriams cant be that much different then eastern birds I hope anyway. I might try and find some other areas that might not have as much pressure. Feel free to PM me if you want. I am not worried about my bird it is more just a reason to spend time with him before he does have his tour. I know that he does care about getting his bird though. He hasn't quite grasped the whole walk through a woods with a gun concept yet. Lol Like I said any help is greatly appreciated. Till then I will just be pounding onx maps. Any of you get to Indiana look me up. We dont have turkeys everywhere but where we do there is a bunch of them and they dont get hunted to hard around here.

Comment

Merriams will tolerate a lot more active calling than easterns. They are also less likely to circle and hang up. I'd start early, before dawn, with an owl call to get general direction to start walking to be somewhat in the right area when the sun comes up.

Comment

That will work. That is the way I hunt easterns run and gun them. I have heard it is not unusual for a merriam to come from a 1/4 mile or more to a call. Is it better to call them up the ridge or be below them? I would assume it would be better to be above them so you could stay hid a little better. That is one problem we dont have here in Indiana. The biggest elevation change we have is a pothole but we do have some big ones. I plan on letting you all know how it goes. If anyone is interested. I would like it to be a every couple of year trip. Looked at some of the ridge videos online and it is truly beautiful up there. Your back yard is quite amazing Turkey country.

Comment

Originally posted by Leland3636 View Post
                        That will work. That is the way I hunt easterns run and gun them. I have heard it is not unusual for a merriam to come from a 1/4 mile or more to a call. Is it better to call them up the ridge or be below them? I would assume it would be better to be above them so you could stay hid a little better. That is one problem we dont have here in Indiana. The biggest elevation change we have is a pothole but we do have some big ones. I plan on letting you all know how it goes. If anyone is interested. I would like it to be a every couple of year trip. Looked at some of the ridge videos online and it is truly beautiful up there. Your back yard is quite amazing Turkey country.
                        Get on their level or above them.

Sure, can tell you a few stories of calling 'em down, but would much rather be above them.

My $0.02-worth,

Daryl B.
                        Daryl Bauer
                        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Please come back and let us know how it went! People like seeing reports!

Comment

Sure will. Going to be a quick trip. Going to be more time on the road then in the woods. Think I found a decent spot we going to try to get into. Not sure how far back I should be but it is a mile back from the nearest road access anyway. The property looks like it should hold birds and the way in seems as close to impossible as I care to take. He is use to running with a ruck sack so that means he gets to carry the gear. I wouldn't normally go that far for a bird but he cant make it home for season so either way it will be a good couple of days with him. God willing we will atleast get to see some merriams. We can find some we can close the distance not worried about that. I do know one thing probably my first Turkey hunt in hunting boots instead of muck boots. You all blessed with some beautiful country anyway. Thanks to all that did offer some kind of help.

Comment

Originally posted by Leland3636 View Post
                              Sure will. Going to be a quick trip. Going to be more time on the road then in the woods. Think I found a decent spot we going to try to get into. Not sure how far back I should be but it is a mile back from the nearest road access anyway. The property looks like it should hold birds and the way in seems as close to impossible as I care to take. He is use to running with a ruck sack so that means he gets to carry the gear. I wouldn't normally go that far for a bird but he cant make it home for season so either way it will be a good couple of days with him. God willing we will atleast get to see some merriams. We can find some we can close the distance not worried about that. I do know one thing probably my first Turkey hunt in hunting boots instead of muck boots. You all blessed with some beautiful country anyway. Thanks to all that did offer some kind of help.
                              Good luck!

Cannot wait to hear how you do!

Daryl B.
                              Daryl Bauer
                              Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                              Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                              daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                              http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Working...
                              X