Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nebgoosehunter
    replied
    Got out before work this morning. Didn't have any birds roosted but I heard some birds on the roost and headed their way. Things were getting pretty light but I was able to sneak in pretty close and set up. There were three males on the roost and three hens and I assumed they were big ol gobblers the way they sounded. I was pretty excited with the thundering gobbles echoing in the trees. They pitched down and the whole group came into about 30 yards and all three were jakes. Bummed out but also happy with how the morning had started, I let those birds pass on by and I got out of there to go find some more birds. Couldn't find any on some other properties I have permission on so I headed home a little early.

Leave a comment:

• popers-n-ropers
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_171936.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1229390 Well, got set up right at 4pm. Had three Jake's called in behind the blind by 5pm and shot this guy about 10 minutes later right out in front.

Leave a comment:

• popers-n-ropers
    replied
    Triple beard, Nice! Just printed off another permit and i'm headed out the door to get one with the bow this time.

Leave a comment:

• Bux N Dux
    replied
    Made it out for the first time this year on Good Friday. Shot this triple beard Tom off the top of my DSD Jake decoy at 10 yards.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2836C6AC-9B25-43CE-BB7D-6FABDCBB9F13.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1229325Click image for larger version

Name:	078031B8-D3D5-46B4-9ED4-B6DBE0469002.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1229326Click image for larger version

Name:	BCEDBB88-3F6A-4BED-8B47-7957F8A8ADBF.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1229327
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jayomaha
    replied
    keep it safe! JDL

Leave a comment:

• nebgoosehunter
    replied
    I'll be up in the Pine Ridge near Crawford on some private ground I have tomorrow morning. Won't have birds roosted and it's supposed to be pretty breezy in the morning. Hoping we can hear some gobblers on the roost first thing. Looking forward to it and I'll post back a report.

Leave a comment:

• popers-n-ropers
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190425_142851.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	1228716 Today I got out for the first time this year. Eyeballed some birds when I was walking in. Could not get any response from calling so I snuck in to about 15 yards.

Leave a comment:

• whitetips
    replied
    It is all about the pecking order!

Strutting is a dominance display too.

Daryl B.

Leave a comment:

• POk3s
    replied
    Originally posted by 74hntr View Post
    This year 8 year old son decided if his older sister can shoot a turkey with shotgun so could he. He is a pretty mean 22 shot and safe but He really had to talk to convince me he was ready to try. After several practice sessions where he proved he was consistent on his hand drawn turkey head targets with 20ga I bought him a tag. Didnt have time in youth season but got out last weekend. Saturday was one of those mornings where Turkeys were talking everywhere early but nothing really wanted to come check us out until 930 or 10 when large group worked our way.. I think Turkey fever set in with 4-5 Toms gobbling in decoys at less than 10 yards. He leveled gun with shooting sticks and said I’m ready then boom. At this point they all gobble and we stare at a completely unaffected bunch of Toms as they regroup slowly move off gobbling. Son is trying to reload since I only let my kids have 1 shell at time. The hens had decided they saw enough and Toms cleared our 30 yard shot limit before he got reloaded. He took it pretty well but I could tell he was a little defeated and at one point he suggested I had given him blanks or faulty ammo. He got the dad talk about missing and buck. We spent rest of Saturday in woods with not a sound from a bird and talked about his theories for his miss. My thought was tom so close the pattern was not opened much and prob didn’t help they were gobbling like crazy... The next morning we got in and blind set up late. I was nervous because it was right at sun up and no turkey sounds in an area we usually can hear some. Sat in blind for couple hrs with no turkey sounds. I was dozing off while my son was practicing box and slate calls. I jerked awake to sound of Tom strutting yards out from my side a direction where I’ve never had turkey come from at this spot. While talking son quietly into position the Tom runs around blind and proceeds to stomp the jake decoy into the dirt. I start to worry about a repeat miss since I was in hurry I set decoys At 8 yds and the Tom is destroying the decoy which had to be distracting for kid. Son gets on Turkey and I tell him to take his time and shoot when he is ready. Tom gobbles and boom. This time tom hits the dirt most definitely dead. At the shot more gobbles from behind us as 2 more Toms run in to beat up dead one. At this point we take a brake from high fives and I shoot one that drops next to his. Son proceeds to lecture me about buying more than one tag at time while we watch the rest of group leave. I was still wondering how 8 or 10 turkeys got that close without a sound... He then discovers he left his knife at home and requests to use mine and cuts most of them up with a little dad guidance. We spent several more hours looking for sheds/shrooms and not a sound in the woods from a bird. So it was pretty great weekend and kinda glad he missed first time. He likes to point out he called in our birds while I was dozing and he shot the bigger one. I learned that I should have kids practice for those close shots or not set decoys so close. Before kids I never used a blind unless bow hunting so I routinely set decoys pretty close need to move them out to 15-20 yards to let pattern open up. I would get out if you can this weather should have the turkeys really fired up this week and start splitting flicks more. Also take a kid out it is even more fun watching them.

This is great stuff! Nice job father/son duo!!!

Leave a comment:

• QuackerTracker
    replied
    Awesome Video! Some guys would have jumped on their phone bought another permit and dusted the second Tom, but that would have just been killing not hunting. That is my opinion. Congrats and Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• mkirk
    replied
    I've been out 3 times with 0 turkey called in. Tom's seem to have plenty of real hens to keep them occupied, need hens to start nesting.

Leave a comment:

• Alex T.
    replied
    We had hens in range but the toms did basically as you described to us this weekend also

Leave a comment:

• AV Angler
    replied
    Originally posted by KD View Post
    A few years ago, I saw a hen do that. It was actually at a friend's house in midtown Omaha in the fall. Went over to watch an NU football game, and 4 turkeys were wandering around his wooded lot. I pulled up next to them in my truck and started making clucking sounds, and one hen puffed up all big and bad.

I was perplexed.

Side note, ran into a couple of toms recently, and they weren't talking nor were they receptive to calls.
    Saw 4 toms this morning and couldn’t get them to talk back and had zero interest in our calls. Very strange. Any thoughts on this? No hens in sight either.

Leave a comment:

• Sm ok ing quack
    replied
    Saw my first bearded hen today, a good 6" long. She came right in to the decoys, the 3 big Toms she was with held up at 70 yards

Leave a comment:

• KD
    replied
    A few years ago, I saw a hen do that. It was actually at a friend's house in midtown Omaha in the fall. Went over to watch an NU football game, and 4 turkeys were wandering around his wooded lot. I pulled up next to them in my truck and started making clucking sounds, and one hen puffed up all big and bad.

I was perplexed.

Side note, ran into a couple of toms recently, and they weren't talking nor were they receptive to calls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X