Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkeys

Hard to believe archery turkey is open in 3 weeks. I doubt they have even started breaking up with how cold it is. Anyone seen any springlike activity?

Yes I have......kinda set me back a bit, but I saw three strutters this morning. ....it was in a flock of about a dozen.....just like everyone has been saying. ....the walleye will spawn under the ice and the turkey's will strut in the snow. ....weird year, but I think we will be closer to normal in a couple weeks. Eastern part of the state......

Comment

I'm not a very seasoned turkey hunter (Never done it in NE) but had planned to hit up public land along the river. likely that wont happen now with all the flooding. Anyone know where to go near SE nebraska that wont be affected by the flooding where I can still find some birds?

Comment

Sfgoat - all i can recommend is getting public land atlas and putting in some windshield time. Unfortunately, you, me, and a whole bunch of other folks like to hunt the riverbottoms and we are all bumped off it now. So we will all be looking for new spofs. One hint, the farther away from omaha you get the better.

Comment

Sadly y’all can’t hunt along 13th st or Bellevue Blvd. see flocks in the high 20s low 30s every morning. Good luck on your season!
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I too was planning on hitting it hard but all my usual spots got flooded out and I’m debating if I should even get a tag, think it’s gonna be a weird year for hunting and fishing this year.

Comment

Was listening to the Greg Wagner show talking about turkey hunting on my way to visit my folks this morning. Pulled into the parking lot and there were two turkeys in the lot. Just south of 144th & Maple in Omaha. My son and I are the worst turkey hunters around and they mock us all over town.

Comment

Flocks all over town, 90th & Western, 144th & Industrial, Ft. Crook south of 370, the Boys Town area and anywhere along I80 your bound to see some too. I feel they are mocking me as
                well dont feel bad!

Comment

Got my blind out today. Wish i could go one day this week but i have to wait till satursay. Gonna be a long week!

Comment

Slowest opening youth weekend I have experienced. There were plenty of birds but they were still in very large flocks and on more of their winter pattern yet.

Comment

Caught two toms roaming around yesterday afternoon and stuck one. The warm weather had the flocks broken up a bit. Hopefully the colder temps at the end of the week doesn't wreck this progress...might be a slow shotgun opener if so.

Comment

Surprised there hasn't been any more turkey reports. My dad and I went back up to the spot I killed one 11 days ago. Set up in the same exact spot but the goofy birds were roosted 150 yards from where I parked and I didn't know it. Couldn't get them to shock gobble so I just set up where I did last time. Here is where my somewhat lack of experience and impatience hurt us. I figured with a bunch of hens and only two toms it would be tough to convince them to cross a set of railroad tracks and come 350 yards to us in the short hour we could hunt. We were kind of hidden so we got out of the blind and grabbed a couple decoys and went and sat on a fence line so we were a little more visible to them. I kept talking back and forth with a hen and she finally decided to come see where I was. She came right down the fence line but was on the side that was behind us. She kept on going but a tom started coming down the fence the exact same way. Hindsight 20/20 we should have turned around quick and layed on our bellies when I just caught a glimpse of his fan and we were behind some grass still. I watched him come out of the corner of my eye but he looked like he had no interest in crossing the fence. My dad was on the next post over so we couldn't communicate very well and when the bird was right behind us 10 yards he just sat up and turned around to try and get a shot off. Couldn't believe how fast that bird took off flying. I took a shot at him after I realized my dad didn't get him but he just kept on going. Unfortunately I think we ruined that spot for awhile as I couldn't even find the other birds that were still across the tracks as we were leaving. I suppose had we just stayed in the blind the hen would have come to my decoys as we kept talking back and forth and that tom would have followed her. I've been turkey hunting 11 years and I'm still learning and I still get humbled.

Comment

This year 8 year old son decided if his older sister can shoot a turkey with shotgun so could he. He is a pretty mean 22 shot and safe but He really had to talk to convince me he was ready to try. After several practice sessions where he proved he was consistent on his hand drawn turkey head targets with 20ga I bought him a tag. Didnt have time in youth season but got out last weekend. Saturday was one of those mornings where Turkeys were talking everywhere early but nothing really wanted to come check us out until 930 or 10 when large group worked our way.. I think Turkey fever set in with 4-5 Toms gobbling in decoys at less than 10 yards. He leveled gun with shooting sticks and said I’m ready then boom. At this point they all gobble and we stare at a completely unaffected bunch of Toms as they regroup slowly move off gobbling. Son is trying to reload since I only let my kids have 1 shell at time. The hens had decided they saw enough and Toms cleared our 30 yard shot limit before he got reloaded. He took it pretty well but I could tell he was a little defeated and at one point he suggested I had given him blanks or faulty ammo. He got the dad talk about missing and buck. We spent rest of Saturday in woods with not a sound from a bird and talked about his theories for his miss. My thought was tom so close the pattern was not opened much and prob didn’t help they were gobbling like crazy... The next morning we got in and blind set up late. I was nervous because it was right at sun up and no turkey sounds in an area we usually can hear some. Sat in blind for couple hrs with no turkey sounds. I was dozing off while my son was practicing box and slate calls. I jerked awake to sound of Tom strutting yards out from my side a direction where I’ve never had turkey come from at this spot. While talking son quietly into position the Tom runs around blind and proceeds to stomp the jake decoy into the dirt. I start to worry about a repeat miss since I was in hurry I set decoys At 8 yds and the Tom is destroying the decoy which had to be distracting for kid. Son gets on Turkey and I tell him to take his time and shoot when he is ready. Tom gobbles and boom. This time tom hits the dirt most definitely dead. At the shot more gobbles from behind us as 2 more Toms run in to beat up dead one. At this point we take a brake from high fives and I shoot one that drops next to his. Son proceeds to lecture me about buying more than one tag at time while we watch the rest of group leave. I was still wondering how 8 or 10 turkeys got that close without a sound... He then discovers he left his knife at home and requests to use mine and cuts most of them up with a little dad guidance. We spent several more hours looking for sheds/shrooms and not a sound in the woods from a bird. So it was pretty great weekend and kinda glad he missed first time. He likes to point out he called in our birds while I was dozing and he shot the bigger one. I learned that I should have kids practice for those close shots or not set decoys so close. Before kids I never used a blind unless bow hunting so I routinely set decoys pretty close need to move them out to 15-20 yards to let pattern open up. I would get out if you can this weather should have the turkeys really fired up this week and start splitting flicks more. Also take a kid out it is even more fun watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by 74hntr View Post
                            This year 8 year old son decided if his older sister can shoot a turkey with shotgun so could he. He is a pretty mean 22 shot and safe but He really had to talk to convince me he was ready to try. After several practice sessions where he proved he was consistent on his hand drawn turkey head targets with 20ga I bought him a tag. Didnt have time in youth season but got out last weekend. Saturday was one of those mornings where Turkeys were talking everywhere early but nothing really wanted to come check us out until 930 or 10 when large group worked our way.. I think Turkey fever set in with 4-5 Toms gobbling in decoys at less than 10 yards. He leveled gun with shooting sticks and said I’m ready then boom. At this point they all gobble and we stare at a completely unaffected bunch of Toms as they regroup slowly move off gobbling. Son is trying to reload since I only let my kids have 1 shell at time. The hens had decided they saw enough and Toms cleared our 30 yard shot limit before he got reloaded. He took it pretty well but I could tell he was a little defeated and at one point he suggested I had given him blanks or faulty ammo. He got the dad talk about missing and buck. We spent rest of Saturday in woods with not a sound from a bird and talked about his theories for his miss. My thought was tom so close the pattern was not opened much and prob didn’t help they were gobbling like crazy... The next morning we got in and blind set up late. I was nervous because it was right at sun up and no turkey sounds in an area we usually can hear some. Sat in blind for couple hrs with no turkey sounds. I was dozing off while my son was practicing box and slate calls. I jerked awake to sound of Tom strutting yards out from my side a direction where I’ve never had turkey come from at this spot. While talking son quietly into position the Tom runs around blind and proceeds to stomp the jake decoy into the dirt. I start to worry about a repeat miss since I was in hurry I set decoys At 8 yds and the Tom is destroying the decoy which had to be distracting for kid. Son gets on Turkey and I tell him to take his time and shoot when he is ready. Tom gobbles and boom. This time tom hits the dirt most definitely dead. At the shot more gobbles from behind us as 2 more Toms run in to beat up dead one. At this point we take a brake from high fives and I shoot one that drops next to his. Son proceeds to lecture me about buying more than one tag at time while we watch the rest of group leave. I was still wondering how 8 or 10 turkeys got that close without a sound... He then discovers he left his knife at home and requests to use mine and cuts most of them up with a little dad guidance. We spent several more hours looking for sheds/shrooms and not a sound in the woods from a bird. So it was pretty great weekend and kinda glad he missed first time. He likes to point out he called in our birds while I was dozing and he shot the bigger one. I learned that I should have kids practice for those close shots or not set decoys so close. Before kids I never used a blind unless bow hunting so I routinely set decoys pretty close need to move them out to 15-20 yards to let pattern open up. I would get out if you can this weather should have the turkeys really fired up this week and start splitting flicks more. Also take a kid out it is even more fun watching them.
                            Excellent story, good job getting the kids out!

Comment

I was out saturday morning, only could hunt until 10am. I had 4 different toms in either of my fields or on the neighbors, each one had 3-4 hens and could care less about calling and my fakes. I'm betting this weekend they'll be a little more responsive with hens nesting on warmer weather.

Comment

Working...
                              X