Quail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail

After having excellent quail populations in southeast Nebraska the last few years, is this winter going to put an end to that? Just curious what people’s thoughts are on how the quail will make it through with this brutal winter we have been having? Curious to hear people’s thoughts

It's gonna hurt them. Lack of rigid structure for winter cover and a food source that keeps getting covered up.

Comment

Unfortunately I think it will be hard on them. I think the numbers this last season were down from the last few years any way.
      When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

The big blizzard we had here in southwest/central Nebraska back in December knocked them back significantly. I think there is a lot of frozen birds under those drifts.

Comment

Yea they are toast. Quail can't handle this stuff. Gonna take several weak winters again to get them back to where they were.

Comment

Yeah....pretty tough on those guys....but the pockets of sustainable cover will keep a good number of them....still....sadly I think a bunch got whacked. ......

Comment

I know weather can be hard on them but I have seen so many quail this past week while driving both blacktop and county roads, more quail than I remember for many years. I'd say more survived this winter as round here than one might think.
              jim

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised to see a covey of quail in southeast Nebraska this past weekend. I think as long as they were able to find good cover they survived, I kicked this covey out of a row of cedars.

Comment

This last summer we had so many quail running around our ground. My wife really liked listening to them and at night when we walked we would flush a covey about every night. We talked about raising a few batches of quail last year and now that this winter has been so bad it really seems like a good idea. Does anyone know of a reputable quail hatchery in SE neb?

Comment

• cougarw
                    cougarw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Elm creek quail.

Originally posted by Catfish Hunter View Post
                  This last summer we had so many quail running around our ground. My wife really liked listening to them and at night when we walked we would flush a covey about every night. We talked about raising a few batches of quail last year and now that this winter has been so bad it really seems like a good idea. Does anyone know of a reputable quail hatchery in SE neb?
                  Save your money. When you put out pen raised quail in NE, you are just feeding the coyotes, for the most part.
                  Put your money into solid winter cover.
                  Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

On top of the flooding you guys got hit again with that late blizzard. I hope numbers don't drop too much as I am making my first trip there this fall.

Comment

I saw three groups picking grit while I went fishing today
                      " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

I saw two pairs in the last couple of weeks, I was surprised. This was the worst winter I can remember in the last 20 years. Don’t know how they survived because of the snow cover for such a long period this winter.

Comment

I saw four pair Saturday on the river property I lease in SW Merrick county. and heard quail calling in almost every direction while we were tearing down what was left of our waterfowl blind.
                          SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Turlington Tom View Post
                            I saw two pairs in the last couple of weeks, I was surprised. This was the worst winter I can remember in the last 20 years. Don’t know how they survived because of the snow cover for such a long period this winter.
                            The winter of 83-84 probably the worst I remember. 09-10 was a close second.Quail are tough birds, they always come back.
                            Yall aint from round here is you?

Comment

Working...
                            X