No announcement yet.

Sandhill cranes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday hunting is allowed in Saskatchewan now.
    No shortage of cranes up there in the fall if you time it right.

Comment

You could shoot a few hundred off my porch every morning as they barely clear the house. They are so loud gotta turn the TV up in the house.

Comment

I've always wanted to hunt swans and cranes in the same trip are tundra swans in that same area in Saskatchewan.

Comment

This would never happen, hunting would not bring in squat for revenue compared to bird watching tourism. And that’s probably a good thing, because as fun as it sounds to go on a crane hunt- I almost like the fact that something in the state is untouchable. I do enjoy seeing the pictures of them en mass on the platte much more than I would enjoy seeing a picture of 10 stone faced dudes posing with their “limitz” on Instagram. Sometimes it’s nice to just watch and soak in a little beauty. That’s the difference between a hunter and a killer.

Comment

• Huskermut
            Huskermut commented
            Editing a comment
            You can have both. The birders watch them in the spring. Also, just have the bottleneck area closed like they do during light goose season. The cranes are not as congested when they fly south and the rest of the state could enjoy watching another species cup up into their decoy spreads.

Blood thirsty killer here. No apologies.

Call me crazy but I think it’s possible to watch the beauty of animals AND occasionally shoot a few to eat!

Comment

Originally posted by Nickolaus View Post
            This would never happen, hunting would not bring in squat for revenue compared to bird watching tourism.
            Just need to figure out how to add a 10-11 percent excise tax on bird watchers' supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
              Blood thirsty killer here. No apologies.

Call me crazy but I think it’s possible to watch the beauty of animals AND occasionally shoot a few to eat!
              Shoot everything we can hunt right now, admire the beauty of something that’s off limits.

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I trust our nations wildlife biologists. When they set a season for a species to be managed, I gladly take part in that season IF the game that is legal to hunt is something I will be glad to serve at my dining room table. I observe the beauty and enjoy nature every trip out. I believe one can fully appreciate it all while still pursuing a species. When we start judging each other and creating dividing lines, we weaken as a group and become more vulnerable to the anti crowds. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

• parker20
                  parker20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is the reality of the situation that we live in either we all hang together or we will all hang. We will loose all hunting it is already starting to happen in other states. Dog trials in 4 states are on the chopping block this year, bear hunting seams to always be up for grabs. If we don't wake up and support each other no one will be left to support you.

My gosh, decoying cranes is an adventure. First time you get a flock of migrators honed in on your spread, you will swear that it takes them a month to get down to your decoys. Picture them spiraling on the thermals while they migrate, well they come down the same way.

Now, a flock that is roosted in the area and coming to your spread is another ballgame. When they decide to commit, they come quick, so be ready. They respond very well to decoys and calling.

Best description of what they look like when you drop one from a flock is that a lawn chair just folds up and falls. They obviously have long legs and they are moving faster than they appear, so give them plenty of lead.

Comment

If not for the Pittman Robertson act and bloodthirsty killers there would be no place for the cranes to live. I choose to leave our conservation laws up to biologists who best know how to keep the population healthy. If they say shoot them go for it if not take a picture and thank a hunter for donating the money that allows you a place to take that picture. Either way we all need to stick together.

Comment

Working...
                  X