Sandhill cranes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill cranes

Looking to hunt them this fall. Has anybody gone after them? Kansas? Wyoming? Colorado? Any recommendations for a guide/outfitter? Would like to try it once.

cranewreckers.com They ain't cheap but one good thing about them is they scout fresh birds and move fields daily. The owner literally goes and pounds on doors to pay for day leases to get his hunters on the birds. It still hunting. We hunted two days. Limited the first and got zilch the next. Second day the weather screwed us, is what it is.

They hunt southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma.

Comment

CRANE Wreckers. Took us longer to set the decoys than to shoot our limits. Jet OK where we hunted.

Comment

We have done well in North Dakota without guides In the devil lake area.

Comment

I've always wondered why Nebraska doesn't cash in on crane hunting. I think we are one of only a handful of states that don't allow it. I get the tourism dollars the migration generates, but hunting would bring a lot in also. Maybe limit hunting to east of hwy 81 and west of 183 to give the bird watchers their zone to watch and take pics. Maybe throw in a "crane stamp" for an extra $20 or add $5 to a waterfowl stamp to be allowed to hunt them.

Comment

• Laramie
            Laramie commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of it has to do with the Whooping Crane and its closely associated critical habitat. Other minor part of it I would guess has to do with how the migration of Sandhills through Nebraska would make it extremely vulnerable to hunting and effects of which would negatively disrupt the migration into that magical stretch of Platte River that the Sandhills are so dependent on. But I would say the majority of it comes down to the ESA and Whoopers!!

• Torino
            Torino commented
            Editing a comment
            Never thought of the whooping crane aspect. That's a good point. How do other states handle Sandhill hunting when whooping cranes are involved?

• Huskermut
            Huskermut commented
            Editing a comment
            But you don't hunt cranes in the spring when they use the Platte bottleneck. And we could restrict hunting in the area like they do with snows in the spring. Also the whoopers are with the Sandhills in every other state. Kansas makes you take a test to identify the difference in cranes. We could do the same. Same with swans. Have a tag number and let us draw each year to shoot one.

Are cranes worth eating?
          Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

• Huskermut
            Huskermut commented
            Editing a comment
            Ribeye of the sky

Originally posted by frogmanjim View Post
          Are cranes worth eating?
          Yes! "Ribeye in the Sky" is a nickname you hear referencing them in other states where they are legal to hunt. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...QFT9D-41Q&fp=1

Comment

Originally posted by frogmanjim View Post
            Are cranes worth eating?
            Yes they are good to eat. Are they Ribeye? If your looking for ribeye you maybe disappointed. One thing is for sure, they are very dark meat but don't taste like your typical dark meat bird. I would compare it to a good cut of venison but the flavor is a little different, but not in a bad way, just different!

Comment

Not impressed, as a Hunter I don't need to shoot everything that flies. Why not Starlings? Why not Robins? I am sure they taste as good.
              Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

To each his own. Some folks eat snails and ETC !!!!!

Comment

If you want to DIY an amazingly easy and stress free crane hunt go to the south Saskatchewan river in central sask the middle of September. You can hunt huns and chickens mid day then brown ducks or specks in the afternoon. I did waterfowl trips in that area for 10 years and found the cranes to be the funnest bird to go after if they still hadn’t moved south.
                  Out-the-Window Outfitters.

Comment

• nascar00
                    nascar00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did a DIY hunt back in 2003, Rosetown, SK. One of the best trips I have taken. We went after the partridge, left the Cranes alone. IS it still no hunting on Sundays?

Originally posted by nascar00 View Post
                  Not impressed, as a Hunter I don't need to shoot everything that flies. Why not Starlings? Why not Robins? I am sure they taste as good.
                  I’m not trying to impress anybody. However anytime I catch flack for hunting any particular legal species I’m fairly disappointed by the ignorance and criticism.

Furthermore I’m fairly ornery and the ignorance that typically cannot be debated with any logical or scientific rational (typically because it is purely emotional) simply makes me want to hunt the species more AND broadcast such events.

Honestly its a large driving force behind my great desire to elephant hunt and go whaling! Yes I said it whaling! I’m sure that will stir the pot, typically does. Oh the horrors, dear lord killing whales, what ever shall we do.......

Long story short if it’s legal I’m down for hunting it (including starlings!) and I will do so unapologetically.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar00 View Post
                    I do not have a dog in this fight as I've never hunted cranes (nor any other migratory bird for that matter), but I'm struggling to understand your viewpoint....why is goose hunting ok, but crane hunting isn't? If both have regulated hunting seasons, what's the issue? Is it because crane hunting is less common/known? Following that logic, I would imagine you're against bighorn sheep and mountain lion hunting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveTheOutdoors View Post

I do not have a dog in this fight as I've never hunted cranes (nor any other migratory bird for that matter), but I'm struggling to understand your viewpoint....why is goose hunting ok, but crane hunting isn't? If both have regulated hunting seasons, what's the issue? Is it because crane hunting is less common/known? Following that logic, I would imagine you're against bighorn sheep and mountain lion hunting as well.
                      I just don't see the point in hunting cranes. It's not like we don't already enough to hunt. We hunt for sport now a days not for food. ( yes some guys hunt for food I get it) It is not like the market hunter days where everything was for sale. Which almost wiped out the white-tailed deer at one point. We don't have to shoot everything up all the time. It's almost like guys have a blood lust, leave some species alone. Big Horned Sheep yes I would go for those, Mountain Lions ......no. Even if NE got a population of Bears.....no. All African game (no even if I was given a trip)... no. Whales............Blubber is delicious when eaten in an igloo with an Eskimo pie for dessert.
                      Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

Nascar I am with Elkstalkr on this one. Simply to each their own. If somebody wanted to go to Africa for hunting fine, not my cup of tea but wouldn’t criticize either.

Comment

Working...
                        X