2019 Spring Snows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Spring Snows

Typically by this time, I have managed to give a few birds a dirt nap, hasn't happened this year. Apparently Mother Nature doesn't want us to get after the white birds during the spring season this year.

Has anyone managed to get out and shoot a few?

In Nebraska?!?! Maybe Arkansas or Oklahoma. I saw a few small flocks on the Nebraska/Kansas border at the first of this month before winter decided to show up. They are long gone.

I will say this will be the first year since I've been hunting snows (14 years) that I had to wait until March to pursue them!

Comment

Have not been out but, but did notice while out grilling wings for the Super Bowl there was an absolute bunch of them coming from the SE over my house in Lincoln and heading straight west toward the basins for a solid 2-3 hours. Those birds have probably retreated back south for the time being.

Layne

Comment

With the terrible hatch, this is probably the best year to have them blow through in mid/late march. At this point I'm happy if they fly straight to the arctic to start pumping out babies...

Comment

Originally posted by marshmadness View Post
          With the terrible hatch, this is probably the best year to have them blow through in mid/late march. At this point I'm happy if they fly straight to the arctic to start pumping out babies...
          You do realize they are still horribly overpopulated and the birds not having a very successful hatch for several years running is probably the best thing that could happen to the habitat and the birds as man has pretty much failed at reducing the numbers to a long term sustainable level.

If your cheering for large numbers of juveniles in that population your pretty much cheering for the population to crash. At some point Mother Nature will hit the reset button. Not sure when but sooner or later Wildlife populations out of control crash. They always do.

Comment

• marshmadness
            marshmadness commented
            Editing a comment
            I definitely understand the dynamics of biological population models. Sure, hunting isn't a sustainable means to control the population at this point, but it helps. The more juvies that are mixed in with the adults, the more adult birds get killed from hunting. Some of the best snow goose hunters in the world are struggling to break double digits this season. Let them reproduce; a population of all adults isn't sustainable either.
            When I was in high school and college, they estimated the mid continent population could be upwards of 25 million. Now DU recently said like 15 million. Either they were way off or the population is shifting towards a realistic holding capacity.

• Dan Smith
            Dan Smith commented
            Editing a comment
            Have to love when those juvies pull those adults in!

This is a pretty good tool to follow the migration - http://www.ducks.org/migrationmap?poe=LGMH

I think decoying will be tough this year according to reports coming from the south.

Comment

Birds have been trying to push the snow line now for two days. This year will be a different story conditions-wise in comparison to years past. Let's hope this year's hatch doesn't get destroyed!

Comment

I just talked to a buddy who lives about an hour west of Kansas City. He said he has seen several large flocks headed back south yesterday and today.

Comment

I was told by a buddy that he saw 2 different flocks heading north in Lincoln today.

I trust him completely but why they are heading north is beyond me.

Comment

They've been heading west over Saline county for the last 2 days

Comment

Drove from Lincoln to Grand Island to St. Paul NE on Monday. Saw a lot of geese, but surprisingly did not see a single flock of snows.

Comment

Note to 2019 season Snow goose hunters.... I've got galoshes and full body mud suits for sale CHEAP! LOL

Squaw just updated to 1.4 mil get out there an GET 'EM!

Comment

Denny we were out this weekend, didn't pull the trigger Saturday morning, we had a hard frost and had some serious shine till it burnt off, but by then the morning flight was over. So for Sunday we moved our spread about 25 miles and 4 of us shot 28 by 10:00. We quit early because the mud was thawing out and it is much easier walking in 2" of mud @10:30 than 4" of mud @ noon.

We saw plenty but they were not interested in our small spread, as we were only able to get part of our spread out by legal shooting time. I broke through the frozen surface and buried my truck while trying to get into the field. Getting my truck out, went rather smoothly, but burned up a lot of our set up time.

Of the 28 birds in our bag Sunday, there were 2 juvies. These adults are tough, especially when they don't have young birds being the Judas goat and bringing the flock into range.

Bottom line is that the birds are here, don't delay as they were pushing north real hard, Sunday pm.

Comment

Large numbers in my area but I agree, they will push north fairly quickly.

Comment

When I went to kansas city last monday I saw thousands of snows in multiple fields in mound city. I havent seen any flocks flying north yet though.
                            Fishing is a dream so I dream often

Comment

Working...
                            X