Bow or Muzzleloader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow or Muzzleloader

I was looking at getting either a bow or Muzzle loader mainly for white tail deer. I have only hunted twice before during rifle season and was looking to extend the season some wince I dont always get a chance to go out and other times I have days during the week free. I have heard that bow hunting takes a lot more time scouting and everything else and I wanted opinions on the subject.

With a bow, you need time and range to become proficient (This is probably the most time important part in my opinion). but hunting prior to rifle offers the best rut hunting of relatively un pressured deer. The weather is better and the season is the longest.
    With a muzzleloader, you can see a lot of deer late season if your hunting a good food source. You may not see the deer in the traditional rut areas you are used to seeing them in. Weather is usually colder. Holidays and family activities can get in the way.

Success rates are relatively the same for both weapons, so it boils down to personal preference and the time you have available.

Comment

Do what my dad did and get a cross bow. He has extended his season, was shooting well right out of the shop, even has harvested a few animals with it. Like mentioned above, the weather and un-pressured deer of bow season are all positives.

Comment

Bow would be my recommendation if you have the time to invest in practice. I find it much easier to get private ground permission on top of the reasons mentioned above.

Comment

Both are going to take a lot of time to get good. Pros and Cons for both are about the same. The major hurtle with a muzzle-loader is finding a place to shoot. Archery is it is a little easier to find a practice range. The Crossbow Idea is a every good option. Best of both worlds.
          Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

I highly recommend a bow I started bow hunting 15 years ago and I shot my first deer the that year and I haven't hunted deer with a rifle since. I would recommend finding a good archery shop to fit you with high quality equipment, next I would look for an archery club to practice and learn from some experienced shooters. Then go knock on doors and line up some places to hunt I have some tremendous deer hunting ground that I can hunt during archery season but the landowner hunts during rifle season. I have found its much easier to get permission to bow hunt. Also you get to hunt in warmer weather and you get to hunt the pre rut. If you are in the northeast part of the state pm me I know some small town bow shops up here that can set you up

Comment

Originally posted by Cybertechshooter View Post
              I highly recommend a bow I started bow hunting 15 years ago and I shot my first deer the that year and I haven't hunted deer with a rifle since. Also you get to hunt in warmer weather and you get to hunt the pre rut. up
              I was the opposite. Lacking time to properly practice, I hung up my bow about 30 years ago now and made my rifle my main weapon. Thinking about getting back into bow hunting after seeing my dad have fun with his crossbow, I may get one and join him.

With a bow, you get pre-rut, rut, post rut....you get everything. With a 4 month season, you can’t go wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X