Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deerdown
    replied
    That's about the average cost I've found, maybe a little less. 200a is a decent amount of ground to hunt, especially if you're spot and stalking.
    ​​​​​​Thanks for the report.

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Originally posted by jhunter16 View Post

2 days of hunting, 2 nights of lodging and 2 hogs was $500 each. I thought that was reasonable but this was my first hog hunt so I could be wrong.
    That’s about going rate. Lodging included though isn’t typical so that’s an added bonus!

Leave a comment:

• Blazing Barrels
    replied
    My wife's family is from south Texas so I try to get down there at least once a year, its about the only good thing about going to Texas.. Her cousins husband has access to quite a bit of land and if you don't want to hunt them you can just buy them from ranch hands and other people who you could just more or less call nuisance hunters, you can buy the smaller ones (around 75 pounds or so) for around 40 dollars and they have already been gutted and cleaned.

Leave a comment:

• jhunter16
    replied
    Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
    Out of curiosity what are they charging?
    2 days of hunting, 2 nights of lodging and 2 hogs was $500 each. I thought that was reasonable but this was my first hog hunt so I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Out of curiosity what are they charging?

Leave a comment:

• jhunter16
    replied
    We just got back from PH Farms in OK. Definitely a mixed review.

The bad: the cabins were pretty rustic and "clean" is a relative term, the hunting area was fairly small for how many guys we had hunting it (200 acres give or take, heavily wooded), treestands were sketchy at best (I elected to sit on the ground), and the owner was pretty hands-off about who was hunting where and a game plan. Safety didn't seem to be his highest concern and we coordinated among ourselves to make sure we had safe lanes to shoot.

To his credit, he did have lots of hogs and quality ones. We shot 22 between 12 of us in 1.5 days of hunting and they averaged 115 lbs. When we shot hogs, he picked them up and had them gutted, skinned, quartered, and on ice in our coolers quickly. Price was fair for what it was. We had fun but I'm not sure I'd go back if I get to plan the next hog hunt.

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Yea we kept all 3 because my buddy wanted all the meat he could get. If it had been just me I woulda just kept the fat sow and left the rest for yote bait.

I had to drag that dam boar probably 5-600 yds. I’ve always had a rule that if I couldn’t pull up to them with the truck they stayed right where they dropped! That is by far furthest I have ever drug a feral hog. Only for a friend (or my wife) I suppose. Lol

The small sow was shoot up pretty bad. Shot twice on the run. Still managed to save half the meat on her.

Both sows were pregnant. Small one had 2 and big one had 5. The big one was really fat and will be delicious eating.

We we ended up with a little over a 150 qt cooler full of meat. So he’s gonna have plenty!!

Leave a comment:

• deerdown
    replied
    Very cool ! Congrats. You have a hog problem for sure. All I see is bacon around those feeders...

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Well we ended our trip with 3 hogs and a bonus coyote which I thought wasn’t bad considering when we got there two out of our three feeders were out of commission. It’s a great place for hogs but it’s tough to keep equipment up and running when you live 9 hours away!

First hog was about 100-125 lb boar, I actually stalked up on him. Second hog was about 150 lb sow. Third hog was about about 50-70 lb sow. They were both killed at feeders. Plus the coyote. I actually shot the yotes buddy as well because but never could find it. Must have just grazed it because there was defintely hair and tissue at the spot.

Leave a comment:

• deerdown
    replied
    Shiloh has been in biz a long time. They were close to the place we used to go in Ok before we started going to Tx.

We never hunted there tho. I think they are pretty restrictive these days on their hunts....

Leave a comment:

• deerdown
    replied
    They are hard to stop - keep moving north...They are fun to hunt, but I don't want to deal with them on my farms when they get finally come up that far north..
    Where is that pic?, no pic - it didn't happen

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    No. College buddy owns a ranch where I’m at. Family owns some property near Stillwater but no consistent hogs there yet. Thank God. I would rather not deal with them. Hope they never come but sooner or later unfortunately

Leave a comment:

• deerdown
    replied
    Nice, did you buy some property down there?

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Down here now. Whacked a boar this evening. I’ll take some pics and post’em when I get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• deerdown
    replied
    The place we've been going to was 13 hrs from Omaha, so we've been driving to get there. Still rather find a place 9 hrs away if possible now that we have to find another place. . If you get something started, let me know, can pay cash, or trade for a nw Missouri deer or turkey hunt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X