Late breaking CWD news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late breaking CWD news.

USP officials said: "After decades of intensive research, Dr. Frank Bastian at LSU has discovered the real cause of CWD. It is a minute bacterium called Spiroplasma. While for decades the mainstream theory has described a malformed protein (called a prion) as the cause with no known cure for CWD, Dr. Bastian has discovered that the prion is only a secondary vector that results from the bacterial action of the primary cause of CWD - the tiny bacterium. The prion is a bacterial by-product.

"This breakthrough discovery is a game-changer, in that it is now possible to develop a vaccine - an antibiotic - to prevent and cure CWD. USP's current funding initiative toward raising $100,000 in each of three years will permit Dr. Bastian to approach the disease is three steps.

First, within possibly a year he will develop a diagnostic hunter test kit that will permit hunters to immediately test their harvested deer or elk for CWD infection in the field at the point of harvest. Considering that the incubation period of the disease in deer is very long at 12-18 months, such a test kit is vital in determining whether your deer is disease free and safe for human consumption. Stages two and three involve development of a vaccine for captive deer (possibly the only way to prevent the collapse of the deer farming industry), and a vaccine to be administered to wild deer and elk."

This hasn’t be proven yet. It’s just a theory this doctor has. Here is a more correct article on the subject:

https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/01/...other-science/

Anything is possible with cwd. We know so little about it. Yet some states are taking drastic measures to prevent or stop a disease with very little information.

Comment

• Leland
      Leland commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, not to be a fuddy either but British scientists thought it might be a bacterial cause for BSE like 15 years ago. I haven't heard much more about that theory. Hopefully science and research is getting closer.

If you read it you can see that it is a research project. I never said it was Gospel.It is however news. I haven't seen an earth shaking progress. Let's simply run around doing random testing. LOL. If every state with CWD threw a little money into such research perhaps we would get some answers. No instead it's let's feed some monkeys meat from CWD deer and see what happens.

Comment

Here's something to chew on

https://www.foxnews.com/health/deadl...perts-warn.amp

Comment

• WyoHunter
        WyoHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        What a bunch of crap... written by anti-hunters. If you take an average of deer harvested in the usa you come up with 5-6 million deer a year. The disease has been well documented in the wild for 20+ years so approximately 100 million deer total. Even if only .1% of harvested deer had the disease, that means that 100,000 infected deer have been eaten and not one ill effect on a human has been documented. I'll gladly eat my deer every year.

more people picking it up. hopefully more research is dedicated to this subject

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...orried-n972476

Comment

The problem is that the per state spending on testing is limited. I don't see how we can say that the cases of infected deer is slight when you don't test all deer. How can you average CWD percentages when you only test a few .Most states have a quota for testing expenditures. We really don't know how wide spread the problem is because we don't test more than a small percentage of the harvest. It is like the lead in water issue in Mich., there never was a problem until they tested for it. I have been consuming deer for 57 years now and it hasn't killed me yet, but CWD does make me nervous.

Comment

Really????

Do you seriously think that if a treatment or cure for Alzheimers, CJD and scabies in sheep had been discovered that it would be announced by a deer hunting group in Pennsylvania?

This is a bunch of bull sheet!!

ClearCreek

Comment

There is a lot of truth to what you say. The one thing that has bothered me is that we cover a lot of ground when hunting in NE and I haven't really discovered many dead deer remains. In 9 years of hunting NE I have only run across one carcass in the 4 different areas we hunted.. In Pa we had a deer die by our cabin. It was skinny and very disoriented. The Game commission here told me it was probably tired from the Rut. LOL. Heck I don't know what to think anymore. Perhaps it is all a Crock.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearCreek View Post
              Really????

Do you seriously think that if a treatment or cure for Alzheimers, CJD and scabies in sheep had been discovered that it would be announced by a deer hunting group in Pennsylvania?

This is a bunch of bull sheet!!

ClearCreek

I used the wrong word in my original post. It should have read, ".....CJD and scrapies in sheep.....". Not scabies.

ClearCreek

Comment

Working...
              X