2019 Hunting New Year's Resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Hunting New Year's Resolution

I need some help completing my hunting New Year's Resolution. I want to take down my first ever turkey. I have been trying for the past two years to take down my first turkey with no success. I attended the spring turkey hunting class put on by the Nebraska Game & Parks last spring and it was a huge help, very informative information that helped get me on the right track. Especially for a beginner like me that is just starting out its great to know our NG&P puts on classes to help beginners like me.

Although the information that I received from that class was extremely informative and interesting I was still unable to take down my first turkey. I believe the main reason for this is I only hunted roughly an hour to hour & half radius of where I live in Wahoo. Needless to say where I did hunt I simply just didn't see turkeys. Sure I did see some, most of which were on private land that I did not have access to. I did call several landowners and asked for permission but was turned down by all. No big deal, I totally get it. Just got to keep on trying to find turkeys, tried a few public areas but just no much happening.

So with that I decided that in order for me to tackle this New Year's resolution I need to really expand my territory. Now I know that the Pine Ridge area is considered the Mecca for turkey hunting and for numbers wise is probably the best in the state. Needless to say I just don't feel I'll have the time or energy to travel that far to hunt this year.

I recently was reading on OutdoorNebraska.org the articles that appeared about Bucket List hunts in the Southeast and Southwestern regions of the state for turkeys. I figured I would give the southeast region a try this year since simply it is a lot closer to me living in Wahoo and working in Lincoln. I've been studying the Public Access Atlas to try and figure out what public lands may be my best bet to hunt turkeys. However with very limited time on my hands I'm unable to get down there and check it out with my own eyes. Google Maps are great but I always feel they don't show everything you want to see. I tried emailing Jeff Rawlinson of NG&P to see if he could give me some tips since he was the one who wrote the article. I emailed over a month ago and have yet to hear back, no big deal I'm sure he's busy.

So simply put I'm asking for some help in bagging my first turkey and completing my 2019 hunting new year's resolution. I know this is a terrible question to ask on hunting and fishing forums but here I am asking for help. What are some public areas in the southeast region that you have seen turkeys frequent? If you feel more comfortable just PMing me than putting your answer on a public forum, please do. Also if your a landowner I'm willing to pay a fee for hunting on your land if need be.

Thank you for any help in advance.

P.S. I also was reading Greg Wagner's article about turkey hunting in the Southwest region in Lincoln County. I'm assuming he's talking about the canyon areas. I tried looking at these on google maps and they look really amazing. I'm just curious how good of access there is too them, just looks very desolate and tough to access. So any info on those areas would be appreciated. Thank you.

If I was you I’d drive to southwest Nebraska a full day before season opener..go to one of the resiviors and drive around and look for the turkeys..we killed tons off state ground for years..get out to the turkeys you find (preferably a distance off the gravel)well before sun light and listen for gobbles.. keep calling at a minimum.. birds get pressured on public..try to get in front of them as they take there daily walkabouts..
    2018 fishing totals..
    Crappie..60
    Bass..279
    ​​​Red ear sunfish..2
    channel cat..6
    saugeye..2

Comment

Might do better if you knock on the landowner's door rather than just call.
      They have cometh

Comment

On a public land atlas, look between Gothenburg and North Platte. See all those big chunks of public ground south of the river? There's thousands of turkeys in that steep canyon country. HERDS of 100 grazing like cattle across a field. Go get 'em

Comment

If I was in your position I would get a pop up blind and head down to the WMA's in the Jefferson and Thayer counties. There are lots of great spots to hunt on public land. When I first started hunting turkeys here in the SE part of the state I would go down there to camp and pitch a tent in a parking lot and listen to the turkeys going to roost. The turkeys always woke me up around 4 or 4:30 am..... before sun up. I would get into my blind I set up the nite before and just sit and call once in a while. Have a couple decoys in front of the blind. Be patient. You may kill a bird in the first half hour or maybe not until 11 am. Of course it depends on the timing of the breeding season as far a big gobblers coming in. But even most days a few big toms will be on the move mid day or early after noon after their hens go to the nest. I love being in my blind at sun up but sometimes I just hunt mid day with good results too.

Comment

Originally posted by uglymike View Post
            On a public land atlas, look between Gothenburg and North Platte. See all those big chunks of public ground south of the river? There's thousands of turkeys in that steep canyon country. HERDS of 100 grazing like cattle across a field. Go get 'em
            Yeah this is some of the area I heard about being loaded with turkeys. Just curious how accessible is this area? I've heard stories that the roads in this area aren't always the best and access is tough sometimes.

Comment

Working...
            X