Sore dog paws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Sore dog paws

Spent three days hunting in SD this week with my five year old lab. Snow was powdery . Dog hunts really hard and after the second day was stiff and a lot slower. He has hardly moved in the last two days, since we’ve been home. Paws are really sore.
    This happened the last time we went as well, but it seems worse.
    Any suggestions? I’ve thought about getting booties.
    He is an awesome upland dog and we did really well, but I always worry about whether he will be able to hunt consecutive days.

https://dogbooties.com

https://www.nefga.org/forum/fishing-and-hunting/nebraska-hunting-forum/1220289-dog-boots
    When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

My gsp used to do the same thing when he got older. His paws would bleed & it wouldn't phase him, hated the boots! He would crash for a few days after a hard days hunt. Boots are worth a try but don't spend a lot until you know the dog will wear them.

Comment

could be joints/arthritis ?

Comment

I would guess joints too, labs are notorious for it. My lab is 13 and he still loves to be outside and go swimming in the lakes. He can handle a couple hours of it but than he is down for the count for about 5 or 6 days. When he goes my wife will be a huge mess, he was my 1 year wedding anniversary to her as we were buying our first house and she really wanted a pup.

Comment

Making sure they're in really good shape is 75% of the battle. Most guys don't realize how difficult it is on a dog to take them out irregularly, especially if all of a sudden they're hunted all day long for more than one day. A really good dog will just about give it their all until they drop. Snow can be really tough on a dog's feet, too, if they're not used to it. Crusty snow, and it doesn't take much thaw/freeze, will tear tender paws up really fast. It's one of the hardest things on trail hounds in the winter when they're running coyotes, fox & rabbits.

Comment

My Britts will be sore for a day or so and not move as much as usual, but haven't had any pad issues. They get worked back into shape usually 4 weeks prior to the season and during the season I'll give them Dasuquin to help with their joint soreness.

Comment

Just a resent observation, my two dogs are on a concrete kennel, my cousins dog, from Missouri has his dog in a dirt kennel. My dogs had no issues with bloody pads, this weekend, while his was pretty tore up. I really never thought about this before now, but apparently concrete will callous up their pads to condition them for hunting, or dogs from Nebraska are just tougher! Ha And yes, all our dogs were dead tired after the weekend ....hunting in 6" of frozen then melting snow takes it out of them AND me!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X