Dog boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog boots

Just curious how many upland hunters boot their dogs? I didn't until last season but usually do now, especially if we are hunting a few days in a row. We recently hunted 4 days in SD and my setters feet still looked pretty good at the end of the trip. I tried the rubber boots but found them to be a major PITA to put on and she'd end up losing them too easy and they were pretty pricey. We're using a cordura boot with a Velcro strap now that are about $3/boot. A little athletic wrap underneath and the boots stay on pretty well. I can usually get a couple of days of hunting from a set.
    When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

The best I ever found was to just cut and use bicycle inner tubes.Maybe you tried that already?
    Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

When I was a kid we only booted our dogs when we bird hunted in sandburr territory. Dad had his deer hides tanned and would make his own from scratch out of leftover scraps from larger projects. They were cheap, worked great and the dogs liked them much better than the store bought rubber boots. The dogs always chewed on the rubber ones until they were destroyed.

Comment

Get the cordura ones. Buy 2 packs from the start. They will eventually lose one. Eventauuly they will get a hole but at 15 bucks for a set they are cheap to replace. They also work as good or better than the expensive ones.

Comment

I put some on my house dogs. I cried laughing.

We tried this when it was -20° outside, and they'd rather just have cold feet.

Comment

• Fish On
            Fish On commented
            Editing a comment
            First time she wore them it was funny as hell. Now the boots don't bother her at all. She knows she gets to go hunting. I put them on at home before we leave, much easier than on the tailgate at the field, way too much excitement then.

I use Lewis Vented Dog Boots but only when hunting in a lot of cactus, sandburs, or rocks.

Comment

• Fish On
            Fish On commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe I didn't have them on right but my dog lost her Lewis boots in the first 20 minutes in the field. She's got small feet so maybe that contributed to it. At $50 a set I wasn't impressed. PITA as well to put on IMO.

• BTP738
            BTP738 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have only lost one and that was on an extremely dewy morning in a sandy area. Seemed as if the water got into the tape and affected the hold. I only use Gorilla Tape with my boots.

I have some Lewis boots, I have also lost some Lewis boots. Now if I boot my dog it's just duct tape booties. Wrap the foot in vet wrap and duct tape over that. I can make duct tape booties more quickly than putting on the Lewis boots. When they start to wear through, add another layer. Cheap and easy, seem tough enough for what I hunt.

***I haven't tried them on crusted snow yet, however.

Comment

Working...
          X