Nebraska Shotgun Season.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebraska Shotgun Season.

With a lot of talk on here about low Deer tag sales in Nebraska. I propose NGPC have a combo Season, Muzzleloader/ Shotgun (slugs) Season. Use the same dates just allow Shotguns as well. Greg Wagner stated on KFAB Radio there was only 16,000 statewide MLZ tags sold. This would boost sales.
    Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

I wouldn't be against it but I don't believe it would put a lot more people in the field- definitely not any more youth. The recoil is just too high but there may be some adults that do it. My guess is those that would are likely out there with a muzzle loader already but I could be wrong.

Comment

I think it would put more guys in the field. Muzzle loaders are intimidating to most. Archery takes lots of time. Grabbing the old shotgun putting in a Cyl choke is much easier. Many guys already have Slug barrels. Just another avenue to get out.
        Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

Only 16,000 tags sold.......How many do they typically sale? Just how low is that number compared to historical sales?

Comment

We don’t need another season. You can use your shotgun during November that’s enough. Add another week in November?......fine. Whole month of December, no way, unnecessary. Plenty of opportunity as it stands leave it alone.

Comment

It is not different than allowing X bows or spears or those ali laty thingy bob's for archery. Shotgun slug during the MZL season.
              We need more if we are going to pay high prices for deer tags.
              Don't Quote me, but....

Comment

Deer tags are high priced? If tag sales are down, then it just means there aren't as many people in the field, I see no problem with that.
                They have cometh

Comment

Originally posted by nascar00 View Post
                  Many guys already have Slug barrels. Just another avenue to get out.
                  I know many hunters/shotgun owners and none of them own a slug barrel. Also most shotguns are more than single shots so its apple to oranges when talking muzzle and shotgun. Use a shotgun if one wants during rifle season.

Comment

• nascar00
                    nascar00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CYL or IMP CYL choke is all you need. Most every hunts with screw out chokes..........

Here’s an idea, Statewide weapon of choice from September 1 - December 31. If you want to shoot a buck with your rifle fine, muzzy no problem, shotgun compound or crossbow knock yourself out, any day of the season you can use whatever leagal weapon you want. BUT it’s the only tag you get, fill it your done till next season. No antlerless eligibility either. Put a limit of 500 permits, draw only, resident only. And charge $1000.00 each.

Comment

• cougarw
                    cougarw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty sure I already suggested that same thing, minus the $1000.

• Lenny
                    Lenny commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Missed it if you did Cougar

• Chunky Tuna
                    Chunky Tuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OR, one permit per person( unlimited one and done), any weapon of choice, statewide, either sex, Sep 1 - Jan 15, res and non res. Price ?????

Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
                  Only 16,000 tags sold.......How many do they typically sale? Just how low is that number compared to historical sales?
                  From the Big Game Guides
                  2006--16293
                  2007--16077
                  2008--15199
                  2009--14490
                  2010--11484
                  2011--10389
                  2012--
                  2013--
                  2014--
                  2015---7541
                  2016---7742
                  2017---7497

Also, I believe a scoped inline will out perform any smooth bore slug gun for range and accuracy except for the ease and speed of reloading.
                  Most of the time, with care, one shot is enough.

A rifled slug barrel for a shotgun will still not match the performance of a scoped inline.
                  Last edited by Old Nebraska Guy; 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM. Reason: added another thought

Comment

• elkstalkr
                    elkstalkr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tag sales for muzzie certainly have dropped! Wonder why that is? Probably a combination of factors.

I agree. Scoped muzzleloaders are much more accurate than a slug gun for stand hunting. Many Iowans used them during shotgun season until they just recently legalized straight wall cartridge rifles.

Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post

From the Big Game Guides
                  2006--16293
                  2007--16077
                  2008--15199
                  2009--14490
                  2010--11484
                  2011--10389
                  2012--
                  2013--
                  2014--
                  2015---7541
                  2016---7742
                  2017---7497

Also, I believe a scoped inline will out perform any smooth bore slug gun for range and accuracy except for the ease and speed of reloading.
                  Most of the time, with care, one shot is enough.

A rifled slug barrel for a shotgun will still not match the performance of a scoped inline.
                  Wow, looks like muzzleloader tag sales have been declining for a while; but if 16k have been sold this year that's a 100% increase YOY, and is in line with sales from 10 years ago. If that's the case, why do need "new" regulations to incentivize sales? How are the MDCA tags taken into consideration, since they're valid for both rifle and muzzleloader sessions, and when did those regulations go into effect? Does that explain some of the tag sales decrease over the past decade?

Comment

Going to throw it out there and suggest that the decline in muzzleloader tag is due to more people purchasing the statewide buck only tags valid during all three seasons. Not necessarily a decline in participation just people are using different tag. I have not purchased a muzzleloader only tag since the SWBO tag was introduced.

Comment

I can only speculate as I have no connection to Game & Parks

IIRC, December of 2010 had two major snowstorms around a foot of snow both times. I had a place on the Platte to hunt that I couldn't get to plus the weather was just miserable. Weather is factor why firearm season isn't moved to December.

The EHD epidemic of 2012 culled the herd significantly. People quit buying Muzzleloading permits because the weren't that many deer to hunt. This carried over for a few more years.

The Unrestricted Statewide Buck Permit came into existence sometime during this time. If unfilled by December it can be used to hunt with a muzzleloader.
                      I actually have been buying it for several years as I have places to hunt in three different firearm zones and I try to spend a day or two at each place, just because I can. This year I filled it and bought a muzzleloading permit but the holidays and the weather have pretty much turned it to tag soup.

I sure the way the MDCA firearm tags are structured now would affect it.

This is highly unlikely but, it could be a recurring typo. Put a one if front of the number I posted and we have permit numbers consistent with the archery numbers. Again I think, historically, the number of muzzleloading permits have always been close to the number of archery permits.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                        Going to throw it out there and suggest that the decline in muzzleloader tag is due to more people purchasing the statewide buck only tags valid during all three seasons. Not necessarily a decline in participation just people are using different tag. I have not purchased a muzzleloader only tag since the SWBO tag was introduced.
                        This.

I too made the switch to this tag.This makes the most sense for decline. If it is indeed the case then they are making more money via statewide buck tag than the "missing" muzzle sales would add.

Comment

Working...
                        X