Pheasant limits should be changed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant limits should be changed

Minnesota allows a 2 pheasant limit in Oct-Nov and a 3 pheasant limit in December (according to a YouTube vlog) Nebraska should consider something similar at least in areas of the state with lower pheasant populations. Actually I’d like to see a 2 pheasant limit for the whole season. ( in areas of the state with lower populations) a few more birds would be available for harvest later in the season. The way things are now most roosters are harvested the first 2 weeks and there isn’t much left to hunt.

The limit could be 1 for eastern Nebraska and we would still find it hard to limit out.

limits have almost nothing to do with bird numbers. Habitat and predators do most of the damage. Trapping coons, skunks, opossums, coyotes, etc will help more than changing the limit by 1 bird.

Comment

Isn't the limit 4 in Kansas? We're closer to KS than Minnesota. Maybe we should have a 4 bird limit.

I just got back from the second trip to to SD. It's all about the habitat, that's where it's at. One rooster can service more than one hen.
      When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

• scotcl
        scotcl commented
        Editing a comment
        I too just came back from Kansas and true to your statement, Habitat is the key. I hunted Public lands one day and saw 20-50 birds out of each field and Private land the second day with the same results. Something about those vast weedy draws and dryland crops that still had some weeds in the rows. Also had great success in tall wheat stubble.

You can't grow birds with a manicured waterway or ditch and no other weeds or cover around. Nesting habitat first and foremost and then the cold weather protection and then be concerned about the winter food source.

Most roosters are harvested in the first two weeks because that's the only time the majority of hunters are out. When I'm out in December and January, I don't see hardly any vehicles in the country. Habitat is what's needed. Can't expect to find birds with manicured waterways and ditches with cropland that has little to no weedy rows. Nesting habitat first....Cold Weather protection second...food sources third. Harvests aren't going to impact much as one rooster will certainly find a way to service multiple hens. I vaguely recall actually a seminar at the PF state habitat meeting a few years ago, that decreasing the rooster population before the nasty winter comes is more beneficial because they will chase off the hens from the food sources when it is most needed.

Comment

As has been already stated several times, habitat is key. It's no coincidence when corn prices skyrocketed, pheasant numbers declined. Every hedgerow, weed patch, etc was plowed under. Hayfields were turned over and wheat and milo became nonexistent. Add in that eastern Nebraska isn't a priority area for CRP because of the high land prices. The dollars stretch a lot further in western Nebraska.

Comment

Limit does not need to be changed. The more Roosters you can take out lets more hens survive the winter. When you see a bunch of Roosters together in the winter. They have taken over the best food sources and pushed the hens out.

Comment

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Hab...ant-Facts.aspx

Scroll down to the survival rates.

Comment

Scotcl mentioned wheat stubble fields. Not to detract from the post, but has anyone done well on the wheat stubble field program in NE? I have hunted a few in SW NE and there were no birds or signs of birds. Disclaimer: I have only hunted a few and only once because of lack of sign.

Comment

• Bus
                Bus commented
                Editing a comment
                We have done Ok in them but have also mostly stayed away bc of sign and just not what I am used to hunting.☠ most are so vast with such easy running for them i have not spent much time in them

• nebgoosehunter
                nebgoosehunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a buddy who does real well on tall wheat stubble. That is where he primarily hunts.

• Huskermut
                Huskermut commented
                Editing a comment
                Do really well on them. Snow and cold is the key in my experience.

When weather is mild, they will spend all day in that tall stubble, and when the nights are mild, they will roost in it...like said before....in those vast expanses, it is hard for a predator to find them.... There is a reason money is being spent on this.....learn it, and take advantage of it!!!! Oh.....by the way.....as a serious pheasant hunter.....I am happy with the way pheasants are being managed by NGP in Nebraska. ..... at this point, as always, it is in the hands of landowners now......I will still hunt 80% walk in areas and still get my limit most days....albeit I have to work for it......but that is what me and my dogs like.....

Comment

I have no problem with what NGP is doing. We just had a little lower population to start with this spring. Then we had really good cool season growth for nesting but the brood rearing season was bad bad. To much rain cool temps and Hail in our area. I hunt a patch of CRP that was just put in last year and was pretty good. This year it is loaded with clover and Ragweed with Corn on two sides. Should be loaded with birds. But it is not. Pheasants can't be stockpiled and saved for next year. Not hunting them does not help. What makes Pheasants easier to manage than any other upland bird is the abillity to harvest only Roosters. The highest mortallity on the hens is the summer molt after they are wore out from raising their broods.

Comment

My suggestion of lowering the limit is to stretch out the rooster population for a longer time during the hunting season. If all the birds are taken the first two weeks why bother hunting the rest of the season. I am quite aware of the need for habitat and habitat really sucks in many of the eastern counties of Nebraska.

Comment

I understand what you are saying. It might help lowering the limit on public property. From what I’ve seen public land can be really good early on and marginal to terrible late season.

You know the roosters on a place have been hammered when you flush 6-10 hens per rooster. See that a lot on public property late in the season.

Comment

Pheasants don't live long enough to worry about bag limits. A hen will live to produce for two nesting seasons, at most. So, yeah, don't shoot the hens.
                      Almost all hens die of old age if not something else before the end of their third winter. You might get another year out of a rooster in great conditions. So, what is needed is lots of hens and lots of babies, every year. To have that, you need great habitat so that the birds can winter over and produce good broods even when the weather turns to crap in June, like it does about half the time here in the midwest. And a little predator control never hurt, as well.
                      There will always be good numbers of pheasants where you have good habitat. Then those birds will spill over and pull off some broods in marginal habitat if you can string a couple of good winters and good Junes in a row.

These are your "easy" birds. During these times, folks will say we have lots of pheasants.

When folks say we have no pheasants what they mean is we have no easy pheasants. The pheasants are always there in good numbers in prime habitat, regardless, even in Siberia, North Dakota. But that means in lean years is that less folks will have access to the really good habitat where the birds are and there won't be many birds to speak of in places without really good cover, water and food and the few birds that are in that meager crap either get shot, eaten or get way too smart for you, pretty quick and by the dead of winter, if they are still any in the thin stuff by then, they hot foot it off to better digs, pretty quick, if they can find it.

Game birds are always all about habitat against the factors of weather and predation. You could shoot every rooster you see and yeah, but the end of the season there won't be that many around that you can get to, but by the beginning of the next season, if the conditions are right, you'll have gobs of birds again.It only takes one rooster to service a couple dozen hens, but then the hens and the babies have to make it, every year. Most places have too little cover and too much predation to really support that anymore.

When you start talking rooster bag limits of 2 or 3 or 4 or even 1 bird per day, all you are doing is taking that extra bird you might of shot this Saturday and leaving it to get shot as part of someone else's bag next Saturday. Which isn't a terrible idea, but you are not stockingpiling any birds or broods for next year worrying about it.

Shoot 'em all. Make more.

Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Thanks Catfishsteve!

Comment

I just love the fact that most guys I hear from and talk to think there are no pheasants in eastern Nebraska! After the next snowfall Ill be out there!

Comment

• Huskermut
                            Huskermut commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Planning on chasing some back that way as well.
                        Working...
                        X