No announcement yet.

2018 CWD results for Nebraska

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they saying cwd deer shouldn't be consumed now? Used to be they told us not to cut brain or bone and the meat was safe to eat.

Comment

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has always recommended that the meat from CWD positive animals not be consumed by humans.

ClearCreek

Comment

It is like playing Russian Roulette deer hunting in Nebraska anymore. I am a non resident and I have to pay for the processing and wait until the testing results are in. I saw a lot of deer on the ranch we hunted in Grant County and they all live in close proximity to each other. With no pressure in their 1/2 mile area they
        more or less run together. 9 chances out of ten, 90% of them have CWD. They eat the same grasses and hide out in several sections of pines for cover. In regards to the testing results, I question the results. Having run a testing lab I can appreciate a good quality control testing lab system and I don't see any systems in place with the ones doing the CWD testing. I am not in awe of labs tied to the major named testers. Heck even the test kits are suspect. Back in the 80's when the "Mad Cow" hit, they told people it was okay to eat, but 40 some people died anyway. A disease first discovered in 1967 is no closer to being cured than it ever was. Modern science my foot.

Comment

• mkirk
          mkirk commented
          Editing a comment
          If you hunt western Nebraska, Colorado or Wyoming, you need to be prepared for positive test results. It's crazy that we still have no answers after decades of research! As for a cure, I doubt that will ever happen.

here are a few things to read https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/...sting-disease/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0730111152.htm

Comment

Attached is a comment by an individual in one of the article you sent.: Scary . Yes:
          "I am 38 years old and I am dying of some strange disease that the doctors could not decipher but I can say that it is similar to the disease by prions and the only thing that I remember is to have eaten once was a deer that looked very strange but not seeing any evidence of illness we decided to eat it, what I try to inform you is cwd if it could be transmissible to people, and if you know of any medicine or remedy that you can take."

Comment

• mkirk
            mkirk commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately this mean nothing, could be true, could be someone with a sick mind trying to stir the pot, could be an anti hunter trying to scare hunters away.

Sooooo..... if a hunter donates a deer to the hunters helping the hungry program, and said deer that may be infected by CWD, so happens to kill an individual that consumed the contaminated meat, who is exactly liable for this death. Who is gonna get sued?
          Yall aint from round here is you?

Comment

Good question...Only time will tell I guess.

Comment

Just think of all the deer going through a meat processing locker. All meat mixed together and getting mixed with meat that was probably a positive test or positive and not tested. I’d guess that most any hunter using a locker has had their meat come in contact with CWD or was cross contaminated by CWD positive meat. Just the reality of using a locker.

Comment

• Lenny
                Lenny commented
                Editing a comment
                You can’t get rid of it with heat, so once you’re equipment is contaminated what do yo do? We’ve had at least one processer in Omaha completely stop taking deer years ago due to this question.

I just thought it was very interesting how the prions attach to plants through the soil.

Comment

[QUOTE=10_point_buck;n1219355]I do wish they would publish all the data: Number of samples taken, number of negative samples, etc. It is really hard to get a grasp on the full situation without that. I do know, CWD is spreading in our state.

I have a question for those of you that are questioning CWD results as to whether the meat is safe to eat. As most of you know CWD had got its start in western Wyoming in late 1960's. Since then thousands of deer and probably elk in Wyoming And Colorado have been affected with it. During this time since then until now, there has thousands of these affected animals killed and transported to probably every state in the US, and several other countries too I'm sure. These thousands of affected animals have been consumed by thousands of people across the US since the 60's. There has been no known incident where it crossed to humanes. So what are the odds of a humane getting now? What has changed other a larger area infected?

Comment

• mkirk
                  mkirk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Im.sure there are thousands of cwd animals consumed each year. Im sure your more likely to die in a hunting accident or get cancer from the lead warnings on hunting products then getting cwd.

[QUOTE=funtwohunt;n1220024]
                Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
                As most of you know CWD had got its start in western Wyoming in late 1960's.
                This statement is NOT true. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer being held at an animal research facility at Colorado State University in 1967. Researchers were doing work on scabies in domestic sheep when the prion responsible for CWD was identified.

ClearCreek

Last edited by ClearCreek; 12-27-2018, 12:30 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

[QUOTE=ClearCreek;n1220099]
                  Originally posted by funtwohunt View Post

This statement is NOT true. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer being held at an animal research facility at Colorado State University in 1967. Researchers were doing work on scabies in domestic sheep when the prion responsible for CWD was identified.

ClearCreek

I guess it's how picky you want to be, the two facilites are fairly close together. The fact remains it still got started in that area. Either way there has been thousands of animals killed and eaten by thousands of people never the less. That was my point.

Comment

I notified the ranch owner where we hunted and he was very concerned about the CWD. He wasn't aware of it because the ranch hasn't been hunted in a number of years. He is going to talk to the game commission about the scenario. He also mentioned that there was a million dollar hunting operation near him and it was now up for sale. It would make you wonder why such an operation was now on the market after only a few years of operation.

Comment

[QUOTE=funtwohunt;n1220175]
                      Originally posted by ClearCreek View Post

I guess it's how picky you want to be, the two facilites are fairly close together. The fact remains it still got started in that area. Either way there has been thousands of animals killed and eaten by thousands of people never the less. That was my point.
                      funtwohunt:

I will agree with you there most likely has been numerous CWD positive animals consumed over the last 20-25 years.

However, you state the "two facilities are fairly close together", when comparing Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO to "western Wyoming". Western Wyoming is a geographic area and not really a "facility". CWD is just being detected (within the last month or so in the Jackson Hole area) in some areas of western Wyoming.

It seems we both have concerns regarding CWD. All hunters and wildlife enthusiasts should be concerned about the ramifications of CWD will have on deer, elk and moose populations.

ClearCreek

Comment

Working...
                      X