Just My Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just My Thoughts

With the up coming big game meetings it go me thinking as I have never attended one but would like to so I could see what was discussed and in what manner it is discussed. I have a few thoughts that I would like to share and maybe pass on at the meeting if the ideas are not to ludicrous. Please keep in mind these are my thoughts and they are neither meant to offend anyone nor run down the NGPC.

1. The archery season would be extended thru January 15th.

2. Rifle season timing would not change but hunters would have to buy a buck only tag or a doe only tag for the rifle season. The tags would be as they are now, which is first come first serve basis. The number of tags could remain the same, for example the Wahoo unit had 3650 rifle tags available but 1500 would be designated buck only and 2150 would be designated anterless only.

3. Season of Choice tags would remain the same in number (as the NGPC sees fit) and dates with the exception that archery would go to January 15th.

4. Muzzleloader Season would be changed to Second Gun Season. The change would allow the use of muzzleloaders, shotguns firing slugs, and straight walled rifle cartidges (357 mag, 450 bushmaster, 45-70) as to not turn it into a second rifle season.

5. Return system. The way the permits work right now if I am to purchase a rifle tag and an archery tag I have used up my two bucks tags I am allotted even if I do not shoot a buck during rifle season and if I want to hunt muzzleloader season I must purchase an anterless tag. I would like to see a person be able to buy another Antlered tag if one goes unfilled. So I would buy a rifle tag and if that would go unfilled I would be eligible to then by a muzzleloader tag for an antlered deer. I m not asking for my money back on the rifle tag but I would not be prohibited from buying a muzzleloader tag.

Sorry for the long winded post but these were just some ideas I had rattling around my head that maybe I could pass on at the meeting.

To me there are contradictions in your number 2 and 5. You are trying to limit the buck tags in rifle season, but maintain your ability to shoot two bucks thru the muzzleloader season. Those two concepts seem contradictory to me.
    Also, the Statewide Buck tag already accomplishes what you are wanting in 5, just cost more upfront.

One more thing, your number 2 idea would probably have to be a draw like they use to have where those that don’t draw a buck tag would get priority the next year. So you likely couldn’t get a buck tag every year.

Comment

#2–why just rifle? Why not for all tags, including the archery tags? From a health of the herd management angle, how does your idea control populations?

#2–NGPC data consistently shows that harvested bucks are older now compared to a decade ago (on average). If you want to shoot an older buck, so be it. Don’t dictate that idea to others who don’t have 1/3 of the year to hunt.

#1–archery tags are already good for 4 months, why not just make them good year around already? When is enough enough?

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
        Don’t dictate that idea to others who don’t have 1/3 of the year to hunt.
        Everybody can hunt 1/3 of the year...archery tags are unlimited

Comment

I like the idea of unfilled rifle tags carrying over to mz. They do this in the mdca units already. I think it would promote harvesting mature bucks rather than shooting what ever you see because the tag goes to waste if unfilled. There also needs to be a cap on state wide buck tags especially for non resident hunters

Comment

• mkirk
            mkirk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep & a lot of guys want a buck even if it's a young one

• Cityspud
            Cityspud commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi MKiRK. I am an Non resident hunter who has a lease in the Frenchman unit. I had a mule deer tag but I chose not to harvest a smaller buck. Will my Unfilled rifle tag transfer to muzzleloader season for the harvest of a whitetail buck or will I have to purchase a new muzzleloader tag. Thanks in advance for the help. Oklahoma boy just searching for answers

• WyoHunter
            WyoHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            City- your rifle tag is good for whitetail or mule deer in the Frenchman unit during muzzle loader. You still have 10 days of hunting.

I'm 100% behind suggestion #4. I love muzzleloader season but I think we could safely call it a slug gun season at this point. Just my opinion. I could see if you have already bought a smokeless muzzleloader and dont want anymore competition why you wouldn't.

Comment

• Lenny
            Lenny commented
            Editing a comment
            Completely against it

• Leland
            Leland commented
            Editing a comment
            I would like to know why Lenny. Not trying to start an argument. Just want to know if it's something I haven't thought of or just want to keep competition low?

• Lenny
            Lenny commented
            Editing a comment
            There’s plenty of season options available for people to choose whatever weapon they want. Firearm hunters have 9 days in November and 15 in January to choose whatever legal firearm they want including shotgun slugs or pistols. No need to create a new season when there’s already an opportunity.

I’d love to see a youth rifle season/weekend.

Comment

• elkstalkr
            elkstalkr commented
            Editing a comment
            Not yes but hell yes! Nebraska desperately needs a youth only deer weekend.

• WyoHunter
            WyoHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree!! Please make this happen

• huntrfish
            huntrfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally Agree!

I’m thinking they should sell one either or permit to each person that is good for every season. Kind of like the state wide permits but only one buck allowed per person. Anyone wanting to shoot more than one deer will have to shoot does. This will allow you to hunt any season you want for a quality buck in any season. This will make hunters to be a little more picky on the buck they shoot allowing them to mature a little more knowing they only get one buck. Any extra deer harvested will have to be does.
          i know a lot of guys that shoot two bucks each yr and no does. This plan will limit them to one buck, and any extra will have to be does. This will eventually increase the age and buck population and increase the doe harvest.

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
            Luv2Decoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with F86
            Best idea put out there.

To increase revenue. How about breaking up the archery season into 2 or 3 seasons and you need to buy a tag for a specific season and you can only shoot one buck total.

• elkstalkr
            elkstalkr commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a dissenter and I vote against this one. Sorry guys. Two bucks is great and where I believe it should remain.

• Riverbowhunter
            Riverbowhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            As we continue to lose hunters every year I very much disagree with one buck. We need to encourage hunting not discourage it.

1. It already is open until Jan 15 with antlerless only season choice tags. Most archery only guys should be dead set against this considering their main gripe with the Jan firearm season is that all the bucks have dropped antlers already and gun hunters are supposedly shooting nothing but giant bucks that have dropped antlers already.

2. Somewhat agree with the premise but not the numbers (keeping in mind it was example purpose only). We would however need to return to a draw system for that to work. Having some tags as buck only defeats the purpose of the doe/antlerless only tag. Those buck only should be either sex. Why make someone eat a buck only tag if their will to take a doe on the last weekend? If decreasing deer numbers is the goal it’s counterproductive to have buck only tags.

3. Read the guide it already does.

4. It’s muzzleloader season, keep it that way, all those other weapons are legal during the 9 days firearm season. Completely against everything you say here.

5. State wide season choice buck only, enough said.

Comment

My thoughts are more on the lines of why in the world is there a set number of either sex tags for each whitetail firearm unit but the an UNLIMITED amout of statewide buck only tags? Why have units and quotas if anyone and everyone can still by a permit once the unit has sold out? I do purchased the SWBO tag every year. I bow, rifle and muzzy hunt. It’s nice to have a single permit carry through all 3 seasons. I also believe it should have a cap on numbers.

Comment

• Freezer86
              Freezer86 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly! I brought that up in a previous thread. Answer = $$$$

I don't think they need to change anything. A youth season would be O.K. But when my kids where younger I used the early river antlerless as our touth season

Comment

• 10_point_buck
              10_point_buck commented
              Editing a comment
              Elkstalkr---you mean that is not possible now? My son just hunted his 8th season since turning legal at age 10. The only year he did not get a deer was when he was 10 and missed his shot (had trouble finding the deer in the scope, so not for a lack of opportunity). Since he turned 10, we have sat in the same stand and with the bonus tags, he has shot well over a dozen deer while I have taken about 3 during that time. If a parent/mentor wants to get someone young involved, they will be willing to put aside their own hunting to make it worth the time and effort of the child involved. It is very possible to do as the seasons are set right now. Secondly, if landowners raise such a fuss about the 9 day rifle season, how would they suddenly be open to another gun season? If this is the case, just make the rifle season longer.

• elkstalkr
              elkstalkr commented
              Editing a comment
              A youth weekend simply gives more opportunity and chance than they normally would have for a whole host of reasons.

When kids get property to themselves private AND public land it makes for easier access. Adults not wanting to take them isn't the real issue. Often its finding an open spot that isn't already spoke for or simply overrun with other hunters.

Point in case. My grandfather owns land in Oklahoma. I am the sole hunting manager of this property. I regulate all hunting done on this land. If an acquaintance of me or my grandfather asks to take their kids out deer hunting on our land during rifle season my immediate answer will be no. Simply because I literally already have half a dozen people with annual permission to hunt that property. There simply is no room. On the other hand.....IF he wants to hunt youth weekend the answer will most certainly be a YES! Why? Because that weekend has been plucked right out of archery season and has no real significance, furthermore as hunter and landowner/manager I feel it is important to get kids out. I will give permission to kids hunting almost anytime I can.

This scenario has actually occurred before with me. I just don't see any reason not to have one. It just gives kids one more chance to get out and hunt.

• WyoHunter
              WyoHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Available land to hunt is the biggest reason to have a youth season. Nebraska public land during rifle season is a pretty scary place to take a kid imo. I do have private land I can take a kid but many do not.

#2--It makes no sense to do this. As others have posted, you already have many units that attach a "bonus" doe tag to the either sex permit in the unit. You also have thousands of "doe only" season's choice and river anterless permits that don't even sell out, so why would you start messing with quotas when we have too many deer right now? The days of a "buck only" tag were when numbers were low, which may be the case in some pockets of the state, but not state wide. We also have unlimited/statewide permits for Archery and Muzzle loader seasons, if you are really interested in managing deer then you would be wanting to see units established for those permits as well as specific quotas instead of making them unlimited. In theory, an area could be hunted down quite a bit with other weapons, but you are only suggesting limiting what happens in the rifle season? Finally, Nebraska is 97% privately owned. If you are unhappy with the age of deer being harvested, buy your own land and talk with your neighbors to manage it for what you want. I get just as much joy out of taking a young buck as I do an older buck, it makes no difference to me. When I have a 9 day season to hunt with my rifle, I am going to take the first deer presented to me that I am happy with.

As someone else responded, I'd be 100% behind Nebraska allowing only 1 permit which allows for the harvest of a buck for all hunters/all seasons. If our deer numbers keep getting out of whack again, mother nature will make sure they stay in check through disease.

Comment

I like being able to shoot 2 bucks and I also LOVE having my rifle season right smack during the rut (or pretty close to it, obviously it doesn't always fall this way). Fortunately for me I'm not the only one that feels this way!

Instead of forcing hunters via regulation to increase the age class of the bucks here is a novel idea and one I've suggested before:

Why doesn't the NGPC start a massive hunter education program where by they inform the general hunting public of what bucks they should be shooting, what bucks they should be letting walk and all the pros that come from doing that! That's my suggestion. Don't change one thing regarding our current buck regulations, simply work on educating the hunters. Change their hearts cuz if you force their hand with regulations they will never buy into it!

(PS...this is actually being done in Oklahoma and from what I have personally seen its working pretty well)

Comment

• 10_point_buck
                10_point_buck commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with you here. But, isn't it already working? The average age of bucks being harvested is trending upward for at least a decade and probably longer (the data is in the NGPC guide). I am all for more education, as we are seeing the results already and by having more deer than we did 20-30 years ago, we are seeing more older deer just due to more survival. Since everyone wants to re-invent what they see on TV (reality TV to me), managing their own areas, with their neighbors, is going to provide more of what they want, IMO

• elkstalkr
                elkstalkr commented
                Editing a comment
                Having hunted in places like Virginia you are correct. Nebraska has it good when it comes to age structure and overall antler size

Any more rules and it will be like trying to apply for a tag in Montana. Add a youth hunt the second weekend of October, and keep everything the same. You can't tie your hands in case there's another disease outbreak, and you have to scamble the rules based on die off. Average age of buck is pretty good. Gets touchy telling land owners what's right or wrong .

Comment

Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
                Instead of forcing hunters via regulation to increase the age class of the bucks here is a novel idea and one I've suggested before:

Why doesn't the NGPC start a massive hunter education program where by they inform the general hunting public of what bucks they should be shooting, what bucks they should be letting walk and all the pros that come from doing that! That's my suggestion. Don't change one thing regarding our current buck regulations, simply work on educating the hunters. Change their hearts cuz if you force their hand with regulations they will never buy into it!
                Good intentions here but one major problem is it becomes very subjective....one mans opinion vs another's. Management opinions are just that, opinions, nothing more.

It would be great to see archery extended through Jan 15. To me the last couple of weeks of archery are the best, especially if there's a lot of snow & the deer are bunched up in timbered areas.

Comment

• elkstalkr
                  elkstalkr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes thats true. however the alternative is having one mans opinion forced upon you via regulations to control how what and when you shoot.

I prefer to be asked to do something yet still given a choice (even if it is thru a massive propaganda scheme) vs being forced to do something. I think most would agree with that.

Also, what do you have to lose??? I mean they aren't proposing making any big changes anytime soon. The "big buck" crowd literally has nothing to lose here. At current you can forget about 1 buck seasons and moving the rifle out of the rut. AINT gonna happen in Nebraska with the current hunters attitude. At best its a smash success at worst you only educate a few hunters who actually buy into it, but thats a few more than you had!
              Working...
              X