X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbfree
    started a topic Just My Thoughts

Just My Thoughts

With the up coming big game meetings it go me thinking as I have never attended one but would like to so I could see what was discussed and in what manner it is discussed. I have a few thoughts that I would like to share and maybe pass on at the meeting if the ideas are not to ludicrous. Please keep in mind these are my thoughts and they are neither meant to offend anyone nor run down the NGPC.

1. The archery season would be extended thru January 15th.

2. Rifle season timing would not change but hunters would have to buy a buck only tag or a doe only tag for the rifle season. The tags would be as they are now, which is first come first serve basis. The number of tags could remain the same, for example the Wahoo unit had 3650 rifle tags available but 1500 would be designated buck only and 2150 would be designated anterless only.

3. Season of Choice tags would remain the same in number (as the NGPC sees fit) and dates with the exception that archery would go to January 15th.

4. Muzzleloader Season would be changed to Second Gun Season. The change would allow the use of muzzleloaders, shotguns firing slugs, and straight walled rifle cartidges (357 mag, 450 bushmaster, 45-70) as to not turn it into a second rifle season.

5. Return system. The way the permits work right now if I am to purchase a rifle tag and an archery tag I have used up my two bucks tags I am allotted even if I do not shoot a buck during rifle season and if I want to hunt muzzleloader season I must purchase an anterless tag. I would like to see a person be able to buy another Antlered tag if one goes unfilled. So I would buy a rifle tag and if that would go unfilled I would be eligible to then by a muzzleloader tag for an antlered deer. I m not asking for my money back on the rifle tag but I would not be prohibited from buying a muzzleloader tag.

Sorry for the long winded post but these were just some ideas I had rattling around my head that maybe I could pass on at the meeting.

• WyoHunter
    commented on 's reply
    I'll gladly keep eating all big game. With the number of hunters out there consuming deer, elk etc don't you think there would have been a medical case or two if there was an issue? You know a good percentage of us have probably consumed an infected animal at some point with no ill effects. The disease has been around since the 70s...

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by john chovanes View Post
    With CWD sweeping the nation, I would not worry too much about seasons and weapons. Without a solution to CWD, seasons and weapons choice won't matter. There will soon be very few animals to hunt.
    Even if there are animals left, who would want to take the chance eating one at this point? I've seen lots of scientific data reversed in my life time and this could just be another one of them at some point since not enough is known yet. I wouldn't process one nowadays even if I didn't have anything else to eat.

Leave a comment:

• john chovanes
    replied
    With CWD sweeping the nation, I would not worry too much about seasons and weapons. Without a solution to CWD, seasons and weapons choice won't matter. There will soon be very few animals to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• rossi123
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveTheOutdoors View Post

On the surface it appears little or no impact (other than possibly a few more permits being sold, which isn't a bad thing); but I'd still be curious to dig into the numbers and see the breakout between crossbows and all other archery gear. I think it would answer the question, "are crossbow success rates more similar to rifles, or more similar to other archery weapons?" (Field and Stream had an article in their recent issue that painted the impact of crossbows in a not so flattering light). And for the record, I have no issues with crossbows, it's allowed my dad to extend his season as he never shot traditional/compound bows, but was willing to give a crossbow a try (I'm just a "data" guy, and like the numbers to tell the story/answer the questions).

I can't remember, do the NGPC annual permit surveys ask that question (what weapon used, and do they breakout the archery gear)? Bluestacks TextNow VPN Maybe they already have a general idea by extrapolating out the sample survey results.
    Hi
    I do not think the annual surveys of the NGPC permits asked this question (what weapon was used and do they break the archery material)
    unless you have another opinion ??

Leave a comment:

• ethan
    replied
    Originally posted by WyoHunter View Post
    Any chance someone could create a survey? I'm curious how many would be against a youth rifle weekend in October. I'm guessing it would be a small percentage against it but I could be wrong.
    I would be one. I Am a bowhunter. I started bow hunting when I was 16. I didn’t grow up ina hunting family. I used money from the partime job I had to buy my gear and hunted, still do, public land. I didn’t have a dad that took me out I learned from trial and error and more failures than I can count. I didn’t shoot a deer until my 4th season. When My kid wants to hunt and is ready, I will be buying a crossbow or a bow if they are strong/accurate enough.

I also will have 0 problem going a season without shooting a deer so that I can get my kid on one.

Leave a comment:

• nascar00
    replied
    4. Muzzleloader Season would be changed to Second Gun Season. The change would allow the use of muzzleloaders, shotguns firing slugs, and straight walled rifle cartidges (357 mag, 450 bushmaster, 45-70) as to not turn it into a second rifle season.

My thoughts
    exactly, I do not understand why guys are so against something like this. We should we asking more from our government not less. We are the ones paying the for the permits, They rely on us for the funds. We should get more options.

Nebraska.......Must wear Motorcycle helmets, No Gambling, Only One Rifle Season.

Leave a comment:

• Blazing Barrels
    replied
    I know I will catch hell for this thought, but I've always thought every state charges ridiculous amounts for out of state hunters. I can understand paying double for residents and I would be okay with that but sometimes the markup is outrageous. It doesn't cost the state anymore money to regulate out of state hunters and I've never been to a game check that says nonresident hunters only. The hunters are already paying for gas, hotel rooms that are pricier than normal, having to eat out more than usual so why make them pay more for a tag. My bet would be is states made the tags a more reasonable rate than a lot of hunters would come to hunt or fish more than once a year. I would love to come and knock down a turkey but there is no way I'm dropping 108 bucks on a tag.

Leave a comment:

• huntrfish
    commented on 's reply
    Totally Agree!

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by xX45Xx View Post
    Without getting more people involved in hunting, we as hunters now can see license costs increase, less access to land, etc. The list can go on and on. We need more people to keep the tradition alive.
    More regulations kill hunter numbers. PA enacted some regulations that were not appealing to the masses a decade or so ago such as increased doe harvest, antler restrictions, new seasons, etc. and it killed hunter numbers so with license sales down the commission increased costs to keep revenue coming in which further prevents people from hunting.
    It appears like those are the policies of the recent past, and on into the future, in many hunting & fishing state scenarios. Sometimes it seems like there's a concentrated effort by various entities to E&A (error & then adjust) by only creating more issues that need to be addressed at some point.

Leave a comment:

• xX45Xx
    replied
    As a nonresident, I would love to see Nebraska allow the "return" of a permit. I normally buy two permits a year, one rifle and the other archery/MZ. If I do not connect during the rifle season, I would love to be able to buy a MZ permit if I did not already. I am not asking for my unused tag to carryover, I would gladly purchase new.
    I hunt several states so I get to see a broad range of seasons and regs. Pennsylvania has a Special Antlerless Firearms season in October open to youth, seniors, disabled and active duty military PA residents. I think NE should definitely have this type of season, even just for youth, to get more exposure to the sport. Without getting more people involved in hunting, we as hunters now can see license costs increase, less access to land, etc. The list can go on and on. We need more people to keep the tradition alive.
    More regulations kill hunter numbers. PA enacted some regulations that were not appealing to the masses a decade or so ago such as increased doe harvest, antler restrictions, new seasons, etc. and it killed hunter numbers so with license sales down the commission increased costs to keep revenue coming in which further prevents people from hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Babe Winkleworm
    replied
    I would like to go to bring up why is there no Muzzleloader Antelope doe/ Fawn season? My unit (Garden) gives out 32 tags general rifle tags total. As a NR I can't get a buck tag, the D/F are $183!!! I have 300 standing 200 yards from my house. I can't make a 2 mile circle and see over 1000 tearing up every wheat and alfalfa field they walk on. The farmers hate them beg me to shoot them but yet I can't get a reasonable late season tag? Come on NGP... Missing the boat here.

Leave a comment:

• tango20
    replied
    Just switched because it was something different. Same reason I sometimes take a Handgun During Firearm season.

Leave a comment:

• Luv2Decoy
    commented on 's reply
    You are correct, but not by much. The new compounds are shooting 340-350 fps while top end xbows are 380-400 fps.

I should not post things w/o doing a little bit of research. Old xbows were in the 310-340 range and that is what I based my statement on.

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
    yah know, if you're lucky, we/you will get old.

And after a couple of decades of pulling 70 pounds a few hundred times a week the old rotator cuff starts to act up. I guess we/you could hang it up as some suggest, but, as I approach that magic age, I passed that three score and ten line a few years ago, I am unwilling to sit on the porch and rock. So far I have been able to get along by detuning the compound to about 40# and I don't shake yet when I'm at full draw. But that time is coming and if it didn't cost a grand to get a crossbow I might have one now. I like to hunt in October especially after a frost kills the bugs, November can be iffy weather-wise , this year the weekends were brutal, and December is cold.

I should use all caps to emphasize that I'm still going to hunt with the three weapons in the three seasons, I'm not going to quit and I don't like somebody telling me I should.

Put a camera up and take a walk??? bull
    Hmmm.....You just proved my point. When someone can't manage a standard bow they could then apply for a disability crossbow permit.

Maybe I'm lucky but I'm at that 70 age slot & can still shoot a standard recurve quite effectively. In fact, I've never hunted deer or turkey with anything other than a recurve and only shot a compound, a friend's, once. I started with a 45# Shakespeare in the mid '60s, graduated to a 50# Kodiak in '71, then to a 52# Kodiak Magnum and in 2010 backed off to a 46# Kodiak Magnum. I've never found reason to go above 52# because I will never shoot over 25 yds, and most shots are at 10 to 15 yds. I still have all of those bows and can shoot every one accurately. I enjoy the challenge of getting my prey close. To each his own, I guess, but as long as I can walk & drag a deer out of the woods I'll be shooting a recurve. When I can't do that I'll quit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X