Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    While I could careless if they allow other guns during muzzleloader I will say this will increase success rate and maybe even significantly so. Why?

One ignition failures on cartridge guns is almost nothing while even the best modern muzzleloaders are susceptible to occasional ignition issues

Two. You might be suprised how many deer are killed with second or third shots. Typically with a front stuffer you don’t have time for another shot.

Again I could careless if they allow them or not but I can understand why they would be hesitant.

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. Lots of bucks get killed on the last days of ones hunt simply because deer meat taste better than stewing a tag.

• cougarw
    replied
    I’m thinking they should sell one either or permit to each person that is good for every season. Kind of like the state wide permits but only one buck allowed per person. Anyone wanting to shoot more than one deer will have to shoot does. This will allow you to hunt any season you want for a quality buck in any season. This will make hunters to be a little more picky on the buck they shoot allowing them to mature a little more knowing they only get one buck. Any extra deer harvested will have to be does.
    i know a lot of guys that shoot two bucks each yr and no does. This plan will limit them to one buck, and any extra will have to be does. This will eventually increase the age and buck population and increase the doe harvest.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Camenzind
    replied
    I’d love to see a youth rifle season/weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Leland
    replied
    I'm 100% behind suggestion #4. I love muzzleloader season but I think we could safely call it a slug gun season at this point. Just my opinion. I could see if you have already bought a smokeless muzzleloader and dont want anymore competition why you wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• mkirk
    replied
    I like the idea of unfilled rifle tags carrying over to mz. They do this in the mdca units already. I think it would promote harvesting mature bucks rather than shooting what ever you see because the tag goes to waste if unfilled. There also needs to be a cap on state wide buck tags especially for non resident hunters

Leave a comment:

• guf54
    replied
    Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
    Don’t dictate that idea to others who don’t have 1/3 of the year to hunt.
    Everybody can hunt 1/3 of the year...archery tags are unlimited

Leave a comment:

• 10_point_buck
    replied
    #2–why just rifle? Why not for all tags, including the archery tags? From a health of the herd management angle, how does your idea control populations?

#2–NGPC data consistently shows that harvested bucks are older now compared to a decade ago (on average). If you want to shoot an older buck, so be it. Don’t dictate that idea to others who don’t have 1/3 of the year to hunt.

#1–archery tags are already good for 4 months, why not just make them good year around already? When is enough enough?

Leave a comment:

• tjm
    replied
    To me there are contradictions in your number 2 and 5. You are trying to limit the buck tags in rifle season, but maintain your ability to shoot two bucks thru the muzzleloader season. Those two concepts seem contradictory to me.
    Also, the Statewide Buck tag already accomplishes what you are wanting in 5, just cost more upfront.

One more thing, your number 2 idea would probably have to be a draw like they use to have where those that don’t draw a buck tag would get priority the next year. So you likely couldn’t get a buck tag every year.

Leave a comment:

• jbfree
    started a topic Just My Thoughts

Just My Thoughts

With the up coming big game meetings it go me thinking as I have never attended one but would like to so I could see what was discussed and in what manner it is discussed. I have a few thoughts that I would like to share and maybe pass on at the meeting if the ideas are not to ludicrous. Please keep in mind these are my thoughts and they are neither meant to offend anyone nor run down the NGPC.

1. The archery season would be extended thru January 15th.

2. Rifle season timing would not change but hunters would have to buy a buck only tag or a doe only tag for the rifle season. The tags would be as they are now, which is first come first serve basis. The number of tags could remain the same, for example the Wahoo unit had 3650 rifle tags available but 1500 would be designated buck only and 2150 would be designated anterless only.

3. Season of Choice tags would remain the same in number (as the NGPC sees fit) and dates with the exception that archery would go to January 15th.

4. Muzzleloader Season would be changed to Second Gun Season. The change would allow the use of muzzleloaders, shotguns firing slugs, and straight walled rifle cartidges (357 mag, 450 bushmaster, 45-70) as to not turn it into a second rifle season.

5. Return system. The way the permits work right now if I am to purchase a rifle tag and an archery tag I have used up my two bucks tags I am allotted even if I do not shoot a buck during rifle season and if I want to hunt muzzleloader season I must purchase an anterless tag. I would like to see a person be able to buy another Antlered tag if one goes unfilled. So I would buy a rifle tag and if that would go unfilled I would be eligible to then by a muzzleloader tag for an antlered deer. I m not asking for my money back on the rifle tag but I would not be prohibited from buying a muzzleloader tag.

Sorry for the long winded post but these were just some ideas I had rattling around my head that maybe I could pass on at the meeting.
Working...
X