Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    Not everyone has access to river ground, and kids need a time with no adults in the woods where they can shoot something with antlers if they want.

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    I'm a dissenter and I vote against this one. Sorry guys. Two bucks is great and where I believe it should remain.

• Luv2Decoy
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with F86
    Best idea put out there.

To increase revenue. How about breaking up the archery season into 2 or 3 seasons and you need to buy a tag for a specific season and you can only shoot one buck total.

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Im with you. When my son was younger, he hunted the regular seasons with the rest of us.

• 10_point_buck
    replied
    #2--It makes no sense to do this. As others have posted, you already have many units that attach a "bonus" doe tag to the either sex permit in the unit. You also have thousands of "doe only" season's choice and river anterless permits that don't even sell out, so why would you start messing with quotas when we have too many deer right now? The days of a "buck only" tag were when numbers were low, which may be the case in some pockets of the state, but not state wide. We also have unlimited/statewide permits for Archery and Muzzle loader seasons, if you are really interested in managing deer then you would be wanting to see units established for those permits as well as specific quotas instead of making them unlimited. In theory, an area could be hunted down quite a bit with other weapons, but you are only suggesting limiting what happens in the rifle season? Finally, Nebraska is 97% privately owned. If you are unhappy with the age of deer being harvested, buy your own land and talk with your neighbors to manage it for what you want. I get just as much joy out of taking a young buck as I do an older buck, it makes no difference to me. When I have a 9 day season to hunt with my rifle, I am going to take the first deer presented to me that I am happy with.

As someone else responded, I'd be 100% behind Nebraska allowing only 1 permit which allows for the harvest of a buck for all hunters/all seasons. If our deer numbers keep getting out of whack again, mother nature will make sure they stay in check through disease.

Leave a comment:

• tango20
    replied
    I don't think they need to change anything. A youth season would be O.K. But when my kids where younger I used the early river antlerless as our touth season

Leave a comment:

• Lenny
    commented on 's reply
    There’s plenty of season options available for people to choose whatever weapon they want. Firearm hunters have 9 days in November and 15 in January to choose whatever legal firearm they want including shotgun slugs or pistols. No need to create a new season when there’s already an opportunity.

• Freezer86
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly! I brought that up in a previous thread. Answer = $$$$

• Freezer86
    commented on 's reply
    Love that idea! Best one i've heard yet. To make it even better, they could charge a little extra for the either/or tag and charge less for the subsequent doe only tags.

• Lenny
    replied
    My thoughts are more on the lines of why in the world is there a set number of either sex tags for each whitetail firearm unit but the an UNLIMITED amout of statewide buck only tags? Why have units and quotas if anyone and everyone can still by a permit once the unit has sold out? I do purchased the SWBO tag every year. I bow, rifle and muzzy hunt. It’s nice to have a single permit carry through all 3 seasons. I also believe it should have a cap on numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Leland
    commented on 's reply
    I would like to know why Lenny. Not trying to start an argument. Just want to know if it's something I haven't thought of or just want to keep competition low?

• Lenny
    commented on 's reply
    Completely against it

• Lenny
    replied
    1. It already is open until Jan 15 with antlerless only season choice tags. Most archery only guys should be dead set against this considering their main gripe with the Jan firearm season is that all the bucks have dropped antlers already and gun hunters are supposedly shooting nothing but giant bucks that have dropped antlers already.

2. Somewhat agree with the premise but not the numbers (keeping in mind it was example purpose only). We would however need to return to a draw system for that to work. Having some tags as buck only defeats the purpose of the doe/antlerless only tag. Those buck only should be either sex. Why make someone eat a buck only tag if their will to take a doe on the last weekend? If decreasing deer numbers is the goal it’s counterproductive to have buck only tags.

3. Read the guide it already does.

4. It’s muzzleloader season, keep it that way, all those other weapons are legal during the 9 days firearm season. Completely against everything you say here.

5. State wide season choice buck only, enough said.

Leave a comment:

• Leland
    commented on 's reply
    That occasional ignition failure is personally why I would like to see slug guns. It isn't so much they dont fire as the delay fire. I have seen several deer poorly hit for that reason. I understand that more capacity could increase the kill number. I would be fine with a single shot rule. If I am being honest I do hate the clean up that goes with a muzzleloader. I will also say I have had my Hawken fail to fire but never my Omega I have been hunting with the online for over 10 years. I do want hear people's thoughts on why not to allow slugs. My thought is with the current rules other than multiple shots just not enough difference in capability to say it would improve success rates. Probably would sell more tags. Maybe even taking some pressure off of rifle season.

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    Not yes but hell yes! Nebraska desperately needs a youth only deer weekend.
Working...
X