Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piscatorious
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, that is my point. I never agreed with the crossbow relaxation policy. I grew up with it as a handicapped only benefit and feel it should never have been changed.

I bow hunted before compound bows were ever utilized. I've never hunted with one as I still prefer the challenge of a recurve, but have never heard one person complain about the use of compound bows other than the concern & frustration of compounders taking too long of shots.

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

I sort of agree, but I'd rather see crossbows limited to handicapped only. When a senior can't handle a regular bow he should be able to qualify, via a Dr., for a special crossbow permit.
    I am curious, why ? What is the thought process behind this? You do know that would completely roll back the cross bow refs to what they were. I bet long bow hunter felt the same way when compound bow hunter came onto the scene. Again, just curious as to this thought process.

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadSpool View Post
    I'd like to see the crossbow removed as a legal weapon for archery. EXCEPT for handicap people, seniors, and 16 and under.

I'd sure like to see some kind of youth rifle season. Maybe a limited number of permits for the weekend before the regular rifle season. Or just open it up the Friday before rifle season. Not sure what would be the best, but I'd like to see kids get a better opportunity to get a deer. Especially for those that aren't lucky enough to have private land.
    I sort of agree, but I'd rather see crossbows limited to handicapped only. When a senior can't handle a regular bow he should be able to qualify, via a Dr., for a special crossbow permit. I think a youth rifle, all those under 16, season should be after the adult rifle season. Call me a Grinch if you will but I don't especially care to be out in the field during rifle season with kids.

Leave a comment:

• mkirk
    commented on 's reply
    Yep & a lot of guys want a buck even if it's a young one

• whitetips
    replied
    If you have never been to one of the deer meetings:

1. You need to go.

2. Listen

Daryl B.

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    Having hunted in places like Virginia you are correct. Nebraska has it good when it comes to age structure and overall antler size

• Leland
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, 10 point. I tend to feel it is the same thing with slug guns and muzzleloader. If it is a true traditional muzzleloader back to Hawken old school percussion cap or flintlock. In the end more participation is a good thing.

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    yes thats true. however the alternative is having one mans opinion forced upon you via regulations to control how what and when you shoot.

I prefer to be asked to do something yet still given a choice (even if it is thru a massive propaganda scheme) vs being forced to do something. I think most would agree with that.

Also, what do you have to lose??? I mean they aren't proposing making any big changes anytime soon. The "big buck" crowd literally has nothing to lose here. At current you can forget about 1 buck seasons and moving the rifle out of the rut. AINT gonna happen in Nebraska with the current hunters attitude. At best its a smash success at worst you only educate a few hunters who actually buy into it, but thats a few more than you had!

• 10_point_buck
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadSpool View Post
    I'd like to see the crossbow removed as a legal weapon for archery. EXCEPT for handicap people, seniors, and 16 and under.
    Why? Are we being overrun by hunters using crossbow during the 4 month archery season? How has this been detrimental to any hunter other than it is putting a few more people out there during the 4 month archery season than there was before. I thought all hunters were concerned with declining numbers and getting more people out there was the goal of everyone? As of today, there have been 16,686 archery tags sold. This does not include landowners, youth, or anything else that does not fall under the typical archery tag. I'd say that there would be less than 500 people (or even less) that purchased an archery tag and only used a crossbow. It is going to be a small number. If we are going to this extreme, why not just say unless you are using a longbow, any other archery equipment is not legal. Splitting hairs with the crossbow sadness.

Leave a comment:

• DeadSpool
    replied

I'd sure like to see some kind of youth rifle season. Maybe a limited number of permits for the weekend before the regular rifle season. Or just open it up the Friday before rifle season. Not sure what would be the best, but I'd like to see kids get a better opportunity to get a deer. Especially for those that aren't lucky enough to have private land.

Leave a comment:

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
    Instead of forcing hunters via regulation to increase the age class of the bucks here is a novel idea and one I've suggested before:

Why doesn't the NGPC start a massive hunter education program where by they inform the general hunting public of what bucks they should be shooting, what bucks they should be letting walk and all the pros that come from doing that! That's my suggestion. Don't change one thing regarding our current buck regulations, simply work on educating the hunters. Change their hearts cuz if you force their hand with regulations they will never buy into it!
    Good intentions here but one major problem is it becomes very subjective....one mans opinion vs another's. Management opinions are just that, opinions, nothing more.

It would be great to see archery extended through Jan 15. To me the last couple of weeks of archery are the best, especially if there's a lot of snow & the deer are bunched up in timbered areas.

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    A youth weekend simply gives more opportunity and chance than they normally would have for a whole host of reasons.

When kids get property to themselves private AND public land it makes for easier access. Adults not wanting to take them isn't the real issue. Often its finding an open spot that isn't already spoke for or simply overrun with other hunters.

Point in case. My grandfather owns land in Oklahoma. I am the sole hunting manager of this property. I regulate all hunting done on this land. If an acquaintance of me or my grandfather asks to take their kids out deer hunting on our land during rifle season my immediate answer will be no. Simply because I literally already have half a dozen people with annual permission to hunt that property. There simply is no room. On the other hand.....IF he wants to hunt youth weekend the answer will most certainly be a YES! Why? Because that weekend has been plucked right out of archery season and has no real significance, furthermore as hunter and landowner/manager I feel it is important to get kids out. I will give permission to kids hunting almost anytime I can.

This scenario has actually occurred before with me. I just don't see any reason not to have one. It just gives kids one more chance to get out and hunt.

• Switchback69
    replied
    Any more rules and it will be like trying to apply for a tag in Montana. Add a youth hunt the second weekend of October, and keep everything the same. You can't tie your hands in case there's another disease outbreak, and you have to scamble the rules based on die off. Average age of buck is pretty good. Gets touchy telling land owners what's right or wrong .

Leave a comment:

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with you here. But, isn't it already working? The average age of bucks being harvested is trending upward for at least a decade and probably longer (the data is in the NGPC guide). I am all for more education, as we are seeing the results already and by having more deer than we did 20-30 years ago, we are seeing more older deer just due to more survival. Since everyone wants to re-invent what they see on TV (reality TV to me), managing their own areas, with their neighbors, is going to provide more of what they want, IMO

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Elkstalkr---you mean that is not possible now? My son just hunted his 8th season since turning legal at age 10. The only year he did not get a deer was when he was 10 and missed his shot (had trouble finding the deer in the scope, so not for a lack of opportunity). Since he turned 10, we have sat in the same stand and with the bonus tags, he has shot well over a dozen deer while I have taken about 3 during that time. If a parent/mentor wants to get someone young involved, they will be willing to put aside their own hunting to make it worth the time and effort of the child involved. It is very possible to do as the seasons are set right now. Secondly, if landowners raise such a fuss about the 9 day rifle season, how would they suddenly be open to another gun season? If this is the case, just make the rifle season longer.
Working...
X