X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeadSpool
    replied
    Originally posted by tjm View Post

I don’t see why people are still hung up in crossbows, they’ve been legal for 5-6 years and don’t seem to have much impact on success rates.
    I'm sure not losing any sleep over others using cross bows. To each his own.

But just out of curiosity if you are physically able, why choose a cross bow to use for archery season?

Leave a comment:

• tjm
    commented on 's reply
    Per the 2008 Big game guide, 16,067 archery permits sold in 2007 with a success rate of 30 percent. Per the 2018 big game guide, 16,998 archery permits sold in 2017 with a success rate of 24 percent. I couldn’t find info for every year in between, but from my recollection, it hasn’t varied much over those years. I think it might have spiked one year when there was a bunch of bonus tags.

• LoveTheOutdoors
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. But if success rates are significantly higher, changes might need to be made since season dates, unlimited tags, etc. are based on historical success rates. And by change I don't necessarily mean going back to the old regs, but maybe limiting the length of a specific crossbow season, etc. Of course, if success rates are essentially the same, then I'm all for keeping the regs/seasons as is!

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Great points. And to add to it, how does it impact or take away from any other hunter out there? IMO, it does not in any way, shape, or form.

• Lenny
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn’t on board in the beginning but I am fine with it. There is no immediate impact on the quality of my hunting experience or the deer numbers on my property. I am unaffected so I have no issue with .

• LoveTheOutdoors
    replied
    Originally posted by tjm View Post

I don’t see why people are still hung up in crossbows, they’ve been legal for 5-6 years and don’t seem to have much impact on success rates.
    I'd be curious as to what the success rate difference is between crossbow hunters and all other archers. And of the archery permits sold, how many are crossbow users vs all other archers; etc., etc. Data (facts) tends to be the criteria I use to form opinions....but someone needs to collect that data.

Does anyone know if the NGPC tracks any of this, or is an archer considered and archer, regardless of weapon type? Most reasonable folks agree that one can become more proficient with a crossbow much quicker than other archery equipment, and the potential for increased range is there....but in real world hunting situations, what, if any, impact is it having on harvest rates?

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    commented on 's reply
    8 seasons now to be exact. First year you could use them fully inclusive was 2011.

• tjm
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadSpool View Post
    I'd like to see the crossbow removed as a legal weapon for archery. EXCEPT for handicap people, seniors, and 16 and under.

Leave a comment:

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Well, the elitist statements come out. I wonder how the rifle hunter using open sights feels about those using scopes. Sorry, but that ship sailed already and not seeing it back at port. When archers have 4 friggin months to hunt, they concede little (if anything ever) and ask for the most. How about this, open deer hunting up from September to December, weapon of choice at all times? Everything and everyone equal now......hmmm

• DeadSpool
    commented on 's reply
    It's not about more people hunting. A cross bow has a scope, accurate out to 100 yards, and you can cock it and leave it all day. I can walk into a sporting goods store and buy one then hunt the next day. A bow requires much more practice, stealth, scouting, and patience. A cross bow is much closer to a rifle than a bow, IMHO.

If you have a legit reason like being too young, too old, a handicap, or maybe just lack the upper body strength I understand and fully and support archery for those folks. But if you are an able bodied adult human being I think you are denying yourself a true archery experience.

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    So, you would rather have less people hunting “just because” ? I’d rather see more people hunting, selling more permits. That’s just me. Get more people involved and keep hunting alive!

• piscatorious
    commented on 's reply
    Well, there is absolutely no scientific reasoning behind expanding crossbow deer license availability so don't try to make that claim. The only driving reasons behind the expansion were monetary and convenience.

• Babe Winkleworm
    replied
    One buck.
    Keep ML season.
    Drop doe tags to virtually nothing and make them unlimited.

Leave a comment:

• 10_point_buck
    commented on 's reply
    Imagine if all of us asked for changes to regulations “just because I don’t like it” with no real scientific reason, such as your suggestion. My guess, the number of cross bow only hunters is a very small percentage and if it helps to recruit more hunters, I am all for more people enjoying hunting.

• piscatorious
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, that is my point. I never agreed with the crossbow relaxation policy. I grew up with it as a handicapped only benefit and feel it should never have been changed.

I bow hunted before compound bows were ever utilized. I've never hunted with one as I still prefer the challenge of a recurve, but have never heard one person complain about the use of compound bows other than the concern & frustration of compounders taking too long of shots.
Working...
X