No announcement yet.

Just My Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see the crossbow removed as a legal weapon for archery. EXCEPT for handicap people, seniors, and 16 and under.

I'd sure like to see some kind of youth rifle season. Maybe a limited number of permits for the weekend before the regular rifle season. Or just open it up the Friday before rifle season. Not sure what would be the best, but I'd like to see kids get a better opportunity to get a deer. Especially for those that aren't lucky enough to have private land.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSpool View Post
      I'd like to see the crossbow removed as a legal weapon for archery. EXCEPT for handicap people, seniors, and 16 and under.
      Why? Are we being overrun by hunters using crossbow during the 4 month archery season? How has this been detrimental to any hunter other than it is putting a few more people out there during the 4 month archery season than there was before. I thought all hunters were concerned with declining numbers and getting more people out there was the goal of everyone? As of today, there have been 16,686 archery tags sold. This does not include landowners, youth, or anything else that does not fall under the typical archery tag. I'd say that there would be less than 500 people (or even less) that purchased an archery tag and only used a crossbow. It is going to be a small number. If we are going to this extreme, why not just say unless you are using a longbow, any other archery equipment is not legal. Splitting hairs with the crossbow sadness.

Comment

• DeadSpool
        DeadSpool commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not about more people hunting. A cross bow has a scope, accurate out to 100 yards, and you can cock it and leave it all day. I can walk into a sporting goods store and buy one then hunt the next day. A bow requires much more practice, stealth, scouting, and patience. A cross bow is much closer to a rifle than a bow, IMHO.

If you have a legit reason like being too young, too old, a handicap, or maybe just lack the upper body strength I understand and fully and support archery for those folks. But if you are an able bodied adult human being I think you are denying yourself a true archery experience.

• 10_point_buck
        10_point_buck commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, the elitist statements come out. I wonder how the rifle hunter using open sights feels about those using scopes. Sorry, but that ship sailed already and not seeing it back at port. When archers have 4 friggin months to hunt, they concede little (if anything ever) and ask for the most. How about this, open deer hunting up from September to December, weapon of choice at all times? Everything and everyone equal now......hmmm

• fishcatcher
        fishcatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder if archers have 4 months to hunt because its more difficult?

If you have never been to one of the deer meetings:

1. You need to go.

2. Listen

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

I'd sure like to see some kind of youth rifle season. Maybe a limited number of permits for the weekend before the regular rifle season. Or just open it up the Friday before rifle season. Not sure what would be the best, but I'd like to see kids get a better opportunity to get a deer. Especially for those that aren't lucky enough to have private land.
        I sort of agree, but I'd rather see crossbows limited to handicapped only. When a senior can't handle a regular bow he should be able to qualify, via a Dr., for a special crossbow permit. I think a youth rifle, all those under 16, season should be after the adult rifle season. Call me a Grinch if you will but I don't especially care to be out in the field during rifle season with kids.

Comment

• 10_point_buck
          10_point_buck commented
          Editing a comment
          Imagine if all of us asked for changes to regulations “just because I don’t like it” with no real scientific reason, such as your suggestion. My guess, the number of cross bow only hunters is a very small percentage and if it helps to recruit more hunters, I am all for more people enjoying hunting.

• piscatorious
          piscatorious commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, there is absolutely no scientific reasoning behind expanding crossbow deer license availability so don't try to make that claim. The only driving reasons behind the expansion were monetary and convenience.

• 10_point_buck
          10_point_buck commented
          Editing a comment
          So, you would rather have less people hunting “just because” ? I’d rather see more people hunting, selling more permits. That’s just me. Get more people involved and keep hunting alive!

One buck.
        Keep ML season.
        Drop doe tags to virtually nothing and make them unlimited.

Comment

I don’t see why people are still hung up in crossbows, they’ve been legal for 5-6 years and don’t seem to have much impact on success rates.

Comment

• elkstalkr
            elkstalkr commented
            Editing a comment
            8 seasons now to be exact. First year you could use them fully inclusive was 2011.

• Lenny
            Lenny commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn’t on board in the beginning but I am fine with it. There is no immediate impact on the quality of my hunting experience or the deer numbers on my property. I am unaffected so I have no issue with .

Originally posted by tjm View Post

I don’t see why people are still hung up in crossbows, they’ve been legal for 5-6 years and don’t seem to have much impact on success rates.
          I'd be curious as to what the success rate difference is between crossbow hunters and all other archers. And of the archery permits sold, how many are crossbow users vs all other archers; etc., etc. Data (facts) tends to be the criteria I use to form opinions....but someone needs to collect that data.

Does anyone know if the NGPC tracks any of this, or is an archer considered and archer, regardless of weapon type? Most reasonable folks agree that one can become more proficient with a crossbow much quicker than other archery equipment, and the potential for increased range is there....but in real world hunting situations, what, if any, impact is it having on harvest rates?

Comment

• 10_point_buck
            10_point_buck commented
            Editing a comment
            Great points. And to add to it, how does it impact or take away from any other hunter out there? IMO, it does not in any way, shape, or form.

• LoveTheOutdoors
            LoveTheOutdoors commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. But if success rates are significantly higher, changes might need to be made since season dates, unlimited tags, etc. are based on historical success rates. And by change I don't necessarily mean going back to the old regs, but maybe limiting the length of a specific crossbow season, etc. Of course, if success rates are essentially the same, then I'm all for keeping the regs/seasons as is!

• tjm
            tjm commented
            Editing a comment
            Per the 2008 Big game guide, 16,067 archery permits sold in 2007 with a success rate of 30 percent. Per the 2018 big game guide, 16,998 archery permits sold in 2017 with a success rate of 24 percent. I couldn’t find info for every year in between, but from my recollection, it hasn’t varied much over those years. I think it might have spiked one year when there was a bunch of bonus tags.

Originally posted by tjm View Post

I'm sure not losing any sleep over others using cross bows. To each his own.

But just out of curiosity if you are physically able, why choose a cross bow to use for archery season?

Comment

• elkstalkr
            elkstalkr commented
            Editing a comment
            I just like hunting with a crossbow. It’s more fun to me. I switched from a regular bow to crossbow. I shot a couple deer with my crossbow and liked it so much I knew I would never pick up my vertical bow again.

There are definitely some disadvantages to them. But overall I just enjoy shooting them more. They are just more fun to me. Don’t know why. Can’t explain it. Just a personal choice.

I will say one thing I love about my crossbow is I can sight the bow in at the beginning of season and not have to shoot or practice with it the whole season. It’s ready to go when I am. I’m a 40 year old dad with two teenagers and honestly between all the soccer games, practices, and other events it’s tough to find the time AND the place (I live in the city) to practice enough to stay proficient with it. I get all the thrill of bowhunting with my crossbow with a lot less time at the range! Which I like a lot.

• 10_point_buck
            10_point_buck commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome response Elkstalkr. I too live in the city, have two very busy teenagers and live 110 miles away from my farm. There are only so many hours available for “my time”

• mkirk
            mkirk commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm switching to x bow because I just don't have the time to practice like I used to. I still enjoy my compound but honestly an x bow may provide a cleaner kill so I'm all for it.

tjm posted
          Per the 2008 Big game guide, 16,067 archery permits sold in 2007 with a success rate of 30 percent. Per the 2018 big game guide, 16,998 archery permits sold in 2017 with a success rate of 24 percent. I couldn’t find info for every year in between, but from my recollection, it hasn’t varied much over those years. I think it might have spiked one year when there was a bunch of bonus tags.

I found...
          For 2015...17477 archery permits sold with a success rate of 24%.
          For 2016...17373 archery permits sold with a success rate of 23%

Most permits before 2013 included a bonus permit. Then the 2012 EHD epidemic reduced the whitetail populations significantly and the bonus tags disappeard.

If I go to my other computer I have a few more stored.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
            tjm posted

I found...
            For 2015...17477 archery permits sold with a success rate of 24%.
            For 2016...17373 archery permits sold with a success rate of 23%

Most permits before 2013 included a bonus permit. Then the 2012 EHD epidemic reduced the whitetail populations significantly and the bonus tags disappeard.

If I go to my other computer I have a few more stored.

On the surface it appears little or no impact (other than possibly a few more permits being sold, which isn't a bad thing); but I'd still be curious to dig into the numbers and see the breakout between crossbows and all other archery gear. I think it would answer the question, "are crossbow success rates more similar to rifles, or more similar to other archery weapons?" (Field and Stream had an article in their recent issue that painted the impact of crossbows in a not so flattering light). And for the record, I have no issues with crossbows, it's allowed my dad to extend his season as he never shot traditional/compound bows, but was willing to give a crossbow a try (I'm just a "data" guy, and like the numbers to tell the story/answer the questions).

I can't remember, do the NGPC annual permit surveys ask that question (what weapon used, and do they breakout the archery gear)? Maybe they already have a general idea by extrapolating out the sample survey results.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveTheOutdoors View Post
              " (Field and Stream had an article in their recent issue that painted the impact of crossbows in a not so flattering light)..
              I read the article and have a theory as to why as to why Nebraska hasn’t seen what Ohio has seen. I would guess Nebraska rifle hunters haven’t felt the need to switch to archery hunting due to the rifle season being in the middle of November, ironically something many archery hunters rail against. Archery hunters may want to be careful of what they wish for.
              I did think the last paragraph was the most interesting. It’s not the younger generation turning to crossbows, it’s the older generation.
              Having hunted with both, I prefer my compound over the crossbow. I personally enjoy shooting and the practice it takes to be proficient.

Comment

I only know one X bow hunter so not a representative sample size but he has never wounded a deer while I know several bow hunters and they ALL have stories of a deer that they hit and didn't recover. There are many bow hunters who now think, that the effective range of their bow is 60-65 yards.

With the new technology in compounds, the differences between the 2 has dwindled down to ease of shooting. Most new compounds shoot at a greater fps than a Xbow.

I am just an interested by-stander in this battle as I use a rifle exclusively.

Comment

• WyoHunter
                  WyoHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Xbow shoots much faster than new compounds. Not sure where you got that information. To me there isn't much advantage when hunting from a treestand but on the ground, the xbow has a very distinct advantage- you don't have to draw at the time of the shot. For elk, this is a huge xbow advantage. I'm a compound guy but know several who use a xbow. They don't shoot any more deer than I do.

• Luv2Decoy
                  Luv2Decoy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are correct, but not by much. The new compounds are shooting 340-350 fps while top end xbows are 380-400 fps.

I should not post things w/o doing a little bit of research. Old xbows were in the 310-340 range and that is what I based my statement on.

Took awhile but from a bunch of old Big Game Guides

Archery Only
                Year...……..Permits Sold...…...Harvest...…….Percentage
                2006...……..15606...…………..4596...………..29%
                2007......…...16067...…………..4858...………..30%
                2008...……..16350...…………..7440...………...46%.....All Archery Permits Include Bonus AO Whitetail Permit
                2009...……..17265...…………..7612...………...44%.....All Archery Permits Include Bonus AO Whitetail Permit
                2010...……..15609...…………..6315...………...45%.....All Archery Permits Include Bonus AO Whitetail Permit
                2011...……..16413...…………..7029...………...43%.....All Archery Permits With Bonus AO & Crossbows Legal During Archery
                2015....…….17477...…………..4134...………...24%
                2016...……..17323...…………..4027...………...23%
                2017...……..16998...…………..4113...………...24%

With more digging I might be able to fill in the blanks. If you have them you can quote and edit to fill them in. It won't bother me.
                Last edited by Old Nebraska Guy; 12-18-2018, 12:19 PM. Reason: edit to line up columns.

Comment

This is just speculation, but the increase in permits sold in the last three years could be due to more old guys staying in the field with crossbows or from the core of archers buying a second permit. Since the bonus permits went away you need a second permit for a second deer and a second archery permit costs the same as a season choice permit, is statewide, and would let you "pop" that big buck if he happened to walk by.

Comment

As Whitetips stated above, if you have never gone to a "deer meeting" you should. You can get a feeling for what is covered by reviewing the power point slides from a meeting held in the SE Region last year.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-conten...esentation.pdf

I think a lot of questions about permits, resident and non-resident can be explained by one statement that G&P would like to control deer populations by hunting and an opinion of mine is that there aren't enough resident hunters to kill enough deer to keep the population in check. So attracting out-of-staters is needed to put more guns/arrows in the field. Just checkout the harvest numbers and the landowner complaints from the slideshow leading up 2012.

A sidebar, a Minnesota non-resident permit is cheaper, $186, than a Nebraska non-resident permit, $242-$249. Not certain what that has to do with anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X