Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeadSpool
    commented on 's reply
    Nobody is telling or even implying that you to quit hunting. I would never want to exclude someone from hunting just because they physically can't draw a bow.

For me it is simply a matter of the hunting experience and I much prefer a bow for archery season as long as I can go full draw. I will switch to a x-bow the day I feel I can't use a bow anymore.

• DeadSpool
    commented on 's reply
    So, no better success? So, barring a problem with you physically, why did you switch?

• WyoHunter
    replied
    Any chance someone could create a survey? I'm curious how many would be against a youth rifle weekend in October. I'm guessing it would be a small percentage against it but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• WyoHunter
    commented on 's reply
    Xbow shoots much faster than new compounds. Not sure where you got that information. To me there isn't much advantage when hunting from a treestand but on the ground, the xbow has a very distinct advantage- you don't have to draw at the time of the shot. For elk, this is a huge xbow advantage. I'm a compound guy but know several who use a xbow. They don't shoot any more deer than I do.

• WyoHunter
    commented on 's reply
    Available land to hunt is the biggest reason to have a youth season. Nebraska public land during rifle season is a pretty scary place to take a kid imo. I do have private land I can take a kid but many do not.

• WyoHunter
    commented on 's reply
    I agree!! Please make this happen

• WyoHunter
    commented on 's reply
    City- your rifle tag is good for whitetail or mule deer in the Frenchman unit during muzzle loader. You still have 10 days of hunting.

• tango20
    replied
    I have used a crossbow for about 4 yrs now. Before that I shot compounds bows. Mostly Brownings. My favorite one was My Browning Super Excellerator. I still have that bow and use it for Carp. Made Mid 80s ? I have no better success with the crossbow than I did before. My range has not increased. The crossbows are so loud that you risk them jumping the string. As far as these guys saying it takes so much more practice to shoot a compound. I Never practiced that much with my compound. Some years I grabbed it off the rack and went Turkey or Deer hunting. Never had a problem. Crossbows are not as easy to shoot as people think do not have a very good trigger and with the " lock Time " follow through is very important. And a second shot if you miss and they are still there? Forget About it.

Leave a comment:

• Elk Dude
    replied
    • The earliest mention of anything related to a crossbow that I could find actually comes from the Bible, in reference to the ballista. A ballista was an ancient missile weapon that launched a large projectile at a distant target, and the design is very similar to that of the handheld crossbow. In II Chronicles 26:15, it is revealed that King Uzziah (reigned circa 783 BC to 742 BC) “made in Jerusalem engines, invented by cunning men, to be on the towers and upon the bulwarks, to shoot arrows an...
    See more on bestcrossbowsource.com

Leave a comment:

• Elk Dude
    replied
    Oh the Drama on here!

Leave a comment:

• elkstalkr
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
    But that time is coming and if it didn't cost a grand to get a crossbow I might have one now.
    You should buy one now! You can easily get a quality US made crossbow for under $700. In fact I know of one that sales for $550 that will give years of service.

You certainly dont have to spend 1k to get a nice quality bow.

Leave a comment:

• Old Nebraska Guy
    replied
    So how about a non scientific reason to have an archery season?

Leave a comment:

• Old Nebraska Guy
    replied
    yah know, if you're lucky, we/you will get old.

And after a couple of decades of pulling 70 pounds a few hundred times a week the old rotator cuff starts to act up. I guess we/you could hang it up as some suggest, but, as I approach that magic age, I passed that three score and ten line a few years ago, I am unwilling to sit on the porch and rock. So far I have been able to get along by detuning the compound to about 40# and I don't shake yet when I'm at full draw. But that time is coming and if it didn't cost a grand to get a crossbow I might have one now. I like to hunt in October especially after a frost kills the bugs, November can be iffy weather-wise , this year the weekends were brutal, and December is cold.

I should use all caps to emphasize that I'm still going to hunt with the three weapons in the three seasons, I'm not going to quit and I don't like somebody telling me I should.

Put a camera up and take a walk??? bull

Leave a comment:

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
    well,
    you did bring it up

my opinion is that someone doesn't want anyone else hunting while they are out.
    Well, actually, no I didn't bring it up, someone else did. I was just responding to their comment and reference.

Leave a comment:

• Old Nebraska Guy
    replied
    well,
    you did bring it up

my opinion is that someone doesn't want anyone else hunting while they are out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X