Good Dog...gone to soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Dog...gone to soon.

faithful 6.5 year old chocolate lab "Smoke" had an accident while hunting this weekend. My family is here this week hunting waterfowl and pheasant. I set them up with a draw to walk and volunteered to haul to the other end, so, they could walk it the mile back to the farm house. I was going to stay behind and work around the farm but my son asked if he could also take my dog. Several jumped in my quad cab. My oldest son and his dog Diesel climbed in the back of the truck and my lab jumped in as well. I have hauled him from field to field numerous times in the back of the truck and never an issue.
    As we were traveling 25-30 mph down the gravel road. About 200 yards from the drop off point. Smoke elected to just bail out for what seemed to be no reason. When I got to a stop and backed up you could tell he was in bad shape. His leg was flopping in his hip area. I put him in the back of the truck again and got off the road to drop off point.
    I instantly called a vet to take him too while the others stayed and hunted. They got him stabilized and x-rays. His femur was shattered into 14 pieces. It was also a compound fracture so there is also some infection issues. The surgeon called me today with a quote of $2700-$3400 to do the surgery and due to the open wound was not 100% certain he wouldn't get an infection. We also discussed amputation but that was $1500. He recommended that due to his age, the dog be put down. The worst part is him and my 3 year old son are inseparable!! That's the hardest part for me.
    So Smoke here's to ya buddy! Thanks for all you did!

The reason I posted this is I hope someone reads this and learns from it. Please, next time they just jump your dog in the back... I hope you think of this incident.
    I have spent 3 days running it thru my head a thousand times. Was he just excited to go and knew where we were going? Was he trying to beat the other dog out of the truck?
    There was about 300 head of antelope in the field we were passing maybe 150-200 yards out...was he going to chase them? Who knows... But I never thought for an instant, with my son and his dog in the back, he would do it. I was shocked, pissed, scared. While everyone was standing around me and him at the tail gate. I had to cut the intial call to the vet short as I began sweating profusely and feeling faint. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. After I shed some clothes and sat down next to him after 10 minutes. I was able to gather myself.
    I hauled him 30 miles to the vet in Ogallala and the whole time I was still in shock. I called several hunting buddies that know smoke and told them, They too were in shock!
    I hunted with them yesterday. It was the first time without my dog. I missed him infact we lost a bird because of my sons young dog didn't know they would run when only wounded. I stood there thinking Smoke would have found that bird with his eyes closed.
    He will be missed...

Comment

Bad deal. Losing a hunting partner/dog/gamily member is tough. Sad situation.

Comment

So sorry or your loss, Babe. Losing a good hunting dog is one of the hardest things to go through.
        And try not to blame yourself - it's obvious you loved your dog, and this was not an accident you anticipated. But by putting this out here, you may make someone else think twice before letting their dog in the bed unrestrained, and help prevent another accident.

Comment

Originally posted by donger51 View Post
          So sorry or your loss, Babe. Losing a good hunting dog is one of the hardest things to go through.
          And try not to blame yourself - it's obvious you loved your dog, and this was not an accident you anticipated. But by putting this out here, you may make someone else think twice before letting their dog in the bed unrestrained, and help prevent another accident.
          This is so true, I have taken my pup down to the beach and had him ride the flatbed back home probably about a half mile and he has bailed off. Thankfully I was traveling only about 5 mph so thankfully no damage was done. He will not have the chance to bail off again.

Thinking of you and the family.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the hurt.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a well-loved member of the family

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Lost my close to 14 year old Lab to jaw cancer, not just a dog but a Family member/buddy I know what your going through.

Comment

SOOOO very sorry to read about Smoke. Babe, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Very tough situation to deal with...I know.

Comment

• Turlington Tom
                    Turlington Tom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry to hear of your loss. Have had the same thing happen but luckily not to have a broken leg. My old lab Ruby is 12 and is still going but has startEd to decline. It will be hard to hunt when she is gone. One of her daughters is having a litter next week by a friend near our area, if interested I can give you his number.

Im sorry to see your story Winkleworm. I am in a similar situation soon. I am probably putting my 14 yr old buddy Dante down tomorrow morning. He has been an outstanding friend and companion. He was never a hunter as he would rather go aggravate his allergies in a patch of flowers but he was still a great dog and a solid friend to me and my wife. We were blessed to get 14 yrs.

Comment

This brings a tear to my eye. So sorry for your loss.

Comment

Working...
                    X